Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #1

Fridge Fans Installed

I just finished installing fridge fans. I did a lot of reading up on them and believe them to be one of the best and cost-effective upgrades to an RV. I ordered the dual fans from ebay, and overall I am impressed with the product. I have a 2014 with the Norcold N611 fridge, so if you have that same model you will need to run your power line out the drain tube and tap into a constant 12VDC source (easy to find on the back of the power board) because when the door closes, the light shuts off and there is no current supplied to that contact point like some of the older ones or Dometics.

I had a pretty good understanding of what needed to be done before I got into it (thanks to this site) but I also emailed Richard (the supplier) requesting detailed installation instructions, and they were sent to me just as I received the parcel. Installation took about 20 minutes taking my time, and I had all the parts (wire, fuse, fuse holder) on hand before I started. I used a 3 foot length of 20 gauge wire, a 500mA fuse (the fans together draw ~150mA) and an in-line holder. I shrink wrapped all the electrical connections after trimming excess wire lengths.

I'm quite glad I did this mod and had to run the wire down the drain tube because I found that there was a black stopper plug in the end of my drain tube! Anyone else find that on theirs? If you haven't looked I would highly recommend you go check to make sure your fridge can actually drain.

I also bought a fridge thermometer to monitor my temps, and will report back after our trip as to what kind of temps were achieved on which setting. I'm thinking number 3 or 4 will work.

Anyways, all in all, any mod you can do to your unit for under 20 dollars is worth it, and this one definitely is a good one. You can't go wrong buying that dual fan set-up for $14 on ebay - he will make sure you are satisfied and will answer your questions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251249584124...84.m1497.l2648

-Carl
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #2

Just a quick update - that black stopper does in fact have two small holes in the end to allow water to escape, and prevent bugs from getting up into the fridge and lessen the amount of cold air escaping the fridge.

Also level 4 now brings it down to 0*C just after a few hours, so it looks like level 3 will be plenty.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #3

Keep us posted on the fridge temps. I bought the same fan but haven't ran the hot wire down to a constant source yet so it's pretty useless now.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #4

Luckily I was able to wire my ebay fans right into the light (I guess this is the old style Norcold - took a whopping 5 minutes to install!). Was able to turn my fridge down a setting while using these fans. Recently used them for a two week trip to Idaho (fridge on all the time) and they worked flawlessly!
Old 08-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #5

I just did the dual fan install from ebay as well. We were able to turn our fridge from 5 to 4. Stuff at the bottom of the fridge stayed much colder and the eggs on the top shelf didn't freeze this time Very happy with the results, but not super happy with the clip and how it holds the fans, but it hasn't fell. I too had to run the wire down the drain line and the supplied wire wasn't long enough so I had to cut the existing wire and add my own wire on. I then tapped the wire on back of the fridge that only has power when the fridge is turned on. That way I don't have to constantly fight getting the clip to stay on the cooling fins. Is working well so far.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #6

I just got back from a week using these fans. Usually I had the fridge on setting 4, but with the fans running 3 was perfect. I hung a thermometer from the middle shelf and it held steady at around 3*C, right in the green arc.

The fans do prevent ice from accumulating on the fins, but only on the ones that they are blowing air onto. Every day I would switch the fans from side to side so that they sublimated the ice off. Not a big deal. The little clip was a bit finicky to support the entire assembly but worked well once it was properly gripped.

Even with the fans installed, I would try to keep produce and other items that freeze easier away from the cooling fins. I had a few mushrooms start to freeze up on the top shelf, but a package of bacon on the very top half shelf was fine all week.

Bottom line - I think the mod is worth it!