Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #1

From a motor home to a travel trailer

My goal always has been to trade up to a motor home when my wife retires in two years. That is until BigJohnD of this forum set my mind straight.
According to him he's had a motor home and for a myriad of sound reasons moved back into a TT and would not have it any other way.
Has anyone else had the same experience? I know for some folks a motor home is the only way to go but now I'm rethinking my plans.
tawoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #2

I've run in to a few that have traded down and their #1 reason was expense for upkeep,just price out one of those tires. Just much more complex to operate and be responsible for. The toad behind you totals around 50' + in length so try that at the gas station. If you need repairs while on the road it could and almost always takes days to order parts. Larger selection of camping locations with their TT. One woman fell in the stair well and against the door and had to call 911 for a neck brace and the only way to get her out was to open the door from the outside to lower her to the ground.
I've never owned one and I think they look nice and I can afford to buy one but I can't afford to own one.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:41 AM   #3

We went from a 16 ft TT to a 24 ft Class C to a 31 ft Class C with slide and tag axle, and last year back to a 33 ft TT. As others mentioned in the past, MH were expensive to maintain and operate for the number of times we used them. Each have pros and cons, but for now we are enjoying our TT. Maybe we'll go to a Class A when I retire, but for now retirement is not in the near future.
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #4

Hey Trunc,
I like the way you put that "I can afford to buy one but can't afford to own one". That pretty much sums up what BigJohnD said.
I'm like you a dealer would put me in a brand new anything as long as I was willing to pay those payments for 20 years. Right now I'm not.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #5

We went from a motorhome to a travel trailer about 13 years ago and wouldn't go back ... to me it depends on whether you are wanting to use it as you travel or when you get there... we decided the drive train sitting for so many months dormant wasn't good for the unit and with the tt all we usually worry about is tires and mice... lol
Old 03-29-2015, 02:48 PM   #6

Yes, I think it all boils down to how your going to use it and how often. Retired, traveling all over then a motor home probably is best. But, like you said, to have it sit there for months is not good for the drive train and the pocketbook.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #7

We sold our 21' motorhome and got the trailer. Although it was nice for getting into more remote locations the extra maintenance (another drive train) adds up and we think the trailer has more sensible usable space in the same length. The added length of the TV however will preclude some of the tighter spots we used to go but there are still plenty of others with room for the TV and TT which total 40', almost double.
Mach1tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:40 PM   #8

Motorhome & no toad, dang, gotta go to the store. Break camp, put in the slide, off to the store.

TV & TT, dang gotta go to the store. No problem, jump in the TV and get what ya need. No hassle.

Motorhome sitting in driveway, gotta maintain another chassis & drive train. Trailer in driveway, air the tires (which cost less the MH) have service done on axles & brakes occasionally at a fraction of truck brakes.

Care to drive the MH as a commuter car? I'll drive the TV anytime!

Although, I do see the appeal of a MH, the TT is a lot cheaper in initial cost!

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:03 PM   #9

We sold our 32 foot class A motor home and went back to a TT. Mostly because of the same reasons as every one else said plus we just bought a new truck. Once while I was at a Freightliner dealer getting one of our trucks serviced a MH came in to get warranty work done on the chassis AC. Freightliner would not work on it saying the AC components were not Freightliner and told the people to take it to their dealer. The man in the MH said the dealer would not work on it saying the AC was a Freightliner problem. Boy was he mad.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:05 PM   #10

IMHO, a MH is like a turtle, you gotta take your shell wherever you go (or haul a toad too). We want to SEE the locales and we're more nimble in the TV. We're now constantly trying to 'best our time' with the TT set-up/break-down routine!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote