Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2016, 07:53 PM   #1

Front hitch

Anybody make use of a front hitch to get their TT into position? at my job, prior to retirement, we were constantly re-positioning equipment. Next to impossible to back things with an articulating front axle. So we'd hitch to the front, and it was no sweat. So I'm thinking if I should find myself in a tight situation, why raise my blood pressure? Just flip the truck & push the TT in like butter. And even should I never actually need the hitch for this, I can use it as a step to get up and look under the hood ( the new TV is long & tall ).

Tuckerdog1
You live and learn, or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:04 PM   #2

On my tractor but no way I'm putting one on my Silverado.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #3

They work great! Go for it .
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:21 PM   #4

My neighbor has one on his truck for backing up his boat and he loves it.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:39 AM   #5

I use it to position my utility trailer in tight places, but I actually installed it for the front yoke to carry my kayaks while towing the 5th wheel.
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:12 AM   #6

I don't have any first hand experience with a receiver mounted on the front of a TV.

But my question would be if the receiver would be able handle the tongue weight of your trailer.
I guess that would be dependent on how the receiver is mounted, your trailer's tongue weight, and how you're thinking of using it if the receiver would take the full tongue weight.

That is, when hooked up to the front receiver would you use a weight distribution hitch to make sure some of the tongue weight is transferred to the TV rear wheels, or wouldn't this matter?

Just adding some food for thought.
Your idea makes sense to me.
Good luck and keep us posted on what you do and how it works out if you add the front receiver.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:49 AM   #7

I think my blood pressure would rise just from un-hitching the rear and then reposition your truck to re-hitch the front, probably while you have rigs behind you waiting to pass...
jacko147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAr View Post
On my tractor but no way I'm putting one on my Silverado.
X2
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #9

I'll probably do it some day. If I get my way, I'll install a large shed/garage in my back yard where I will store my TT. It's a long way back there, longer than I would want to back the trailer, and it's narrow with obstacles too. So a receiver on the front would be an elegant solution.

No, I would not attach my WDH. I'd be going 100 ft. maybe. I would want to weigh my truck to see if I would still be under the GAWR on the front with my tongue weight, but I'm betting I'd be fine. Diesel might be different since it's so much heavier than my gas motor.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #10

Question, if you have a front receiver and hitch, use it to position your trailer, are you really able to see anything?

Backing it the traditional method actually gets you and the mirrors far enough forward of the TT to actually see down the side a bit. But if you are essentially pushing the TT mirrors are no use, and your actual field of vision would be so close to the TT I would expect you could not see down the side (at least not the right side as you look at it). To me spotting a trailer "blind" by pushing would be much more challenging than backing it with some vision. Maybe a boat or flatbed, but not a high profile trailer.

Interested to hear from others who have actually done it.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Question, if you have a front receiver and hitch, use it to position your trailer, are you really able to see anything?

Backing it the traditional method actually gets you and the mirrors far enough forward of the TT to actually see down the side a bit. But if you are essentially pushing the TT mirrors are no use, and your actual field of vision would be so close to the TT I would expect you could not see down the side (at least not the right side as you look at it). To me spotting a trailer "blind" by pushing would be much more challenging than backing it with some vision. Maybe a boat or flatbed, but not a high profile trailer.

Interested to hear from others who have actually done it.
Me too. I depend on DW for spotting, but even then, I can see better with mirrors...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-18-2016, 04:34 PM   #12

Took a pic of my neighbors truck and as you can see he can mount the ball on either side. This way he can see what he's doing instead of looking at the trailer wall.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-18-2016, 05:59 PM   #13

Friend has had a front hitch on his various Trucks for years. He always had it off-centered to the right. He is big into Fishing and can push his Boat down the ramp & into the water easily, even in the dark. He can see down the side and have the left headlight lighting the way. I saw him do the same with Cargo trailers.

Other than possible extra weight of a TT, see no reason not to have one. And even than, you probably not going for more than few feet

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #14

I know with my trailer being longer it actually makes it easier to back in but I do have my wife spotting and if there is a question about distance from a tree or object I get out and look for myself ... still think its easier than having to unhitch and rehook to a front hitch
Old 02-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #15

I would not be doing this as a matter of routine. In fact, the situation might never come up. But just a possible option. I know from work, it can make an impossible situation very easy.

I do have a possible issue with tongue weight. The hitch I'm buying has a tongue weight rating of 500 lbs. I'm sure I'll be over that by approx 200 lbs. But as stated above, It'll be just for a few feet, not bounding down the highway.

The issue of view is something I'd not considered. DW would have to be a spotter on the far side. Plus, I'd have already inspected the entire run before even starting.

The hitch is dead center on the truck. Here are a couple pic of one on another RAM ( not mine ). This was posted on the web.

Easy mounting. Same holes as the tow hooks.

Tuckerdog1
Attached Thumbnails
65063.JPG   650633.JPG  
Old 02-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
I would not be doing this as a matter of routine. In fact, the situation might never come up. But just a possible option. I know from work, it can make an impossible situation very easy.

I do have a possible issue with tongue weight. The hitch I'm buying has a tongue weight rating of 500 lbs. I'm sure I'll be over that by approx 200 lbs. But as stated above, It'll be just for a few feet, not bounding down the highway.

The issue of view is something I'd not considered. DW would have to be a spotter on the far side. Plus, I'd have already inspected the entire run before even starting.

The hitch is dead center on the truck. Here are a couple pic of one on another RAM ( not mine ). This was posted on the web.

Easy mounting. Same holes as the tow hooks.

Tuckerdog1
Be careful if you do that type of mount. I've read some guys have bent their tow hooks by putting downward force on them (like tying it down to a trailer for flat-bed towing). They are meant to be pulled straight out, not down. So if you use that hitch receiver on those tow-hook mounts, you could be creating the same torsional pressure that allows that part of the truck to be bent. It's not pretty, the bumper looks like it's been in a wreck when it happens.

Just a thought. I would want more than 500 lbs capacity for mine since I'm likely to be pushing over 1000 lbs on the tongue.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-19-2016, 07:48 AM   #17

I only used the front hitch with the TT once, and visibility was the reason that I didn't do it again. That said, I have a 12' utility trailer that I can put in incredibly tight spots using the front hitch. My primary use is the front kayak yoke while pulling my 5'er.
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Be careful if you do that type of mount. I've read some guys have bent their tow hooks by putting downward force on them (like tying it down to a trailer for flat-bed towing). They are meant to be pulled straight out, not down. So if you use that hitch receiver on those tow-hook mounts, you could be creating the same torsional pressure that allows that part of the truck to be bent. It's not pretty, the bumper looks like it's been in a wreck when it happens.

Just a thought. I would want more than 500 lbs capacity for mine since I'm likely to be pushing over 1000 lbs on the tongue.
Thanks Bob,

That does give me pause. Sure don't want to damage the front end of the truck. I won't approach 1K lbs. However, 700-800 is very possible. If I try this, I would probably slowly lower the trailer tongue onto the ball, and watch/listen carefully for any sign of strain. Very possible this may just become an expensive step up for under hood access. Thanks for that heads up.

Tuckerdog1