Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #1

Angry Furious! New TT, Coleman AC unit broken

Hi all,

I just need to vent and solicit advice for how to handle warranty work. We are in our 8th night of camping in our new Jayco 197. 6 weeks ago (after 6 nights of camping) we had our unit back to the dealer to adjust the door, replace some trim on the outside of the unit, and an air conditioner check because it didn't seem to be getting very cold (and it was only in the low 80's outdoors). The first two problems were taken care of and the air conditioner deemed ok via temperature check and the presence of condensation. We just got it back about 2 weeks ago. Now here we are about 200 miles from home and the AC unit conked out. We have 6 nights left on the only possible week off for vacation this year, and no air. The vent: I'm so aggravated!! New unit breaking this quickly...and ruining vacation!!

The advice: asking since it's nighttime and can't do anything about it until tomorrow, if even then, and want to feel like I can do SOMETHING! Reading through the Airxcel warranty it looks like we need to take it to the nearest service center which is almost 50 miles from here! Is that the case? Or am I frustrated without reason? Where do we sleep while it's gone? I guess there's no reimbursement for hotel?

Talk me down someone, please. I work night shift and am in school year-round and really needed a relaxing week. My campsite infested with mosquitoes was bad enough. This is the icing on the cake.

Added: The cable which worked the first 3 nights of camping, didn't use the next 3, was not working when we got here 2 nights ago. There is a little jump cable inside and we bypassed it and got the cable to work. So whatever it is attached to is also broken. Fun times.
momtofour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtofour View Post
Hi all,

I just need to vent and solicit advice for how to handle warranty work. We are in our 8th night of camping in our new Jayco 197. 6 weeks ago (after 6 nights of camping) we had our unit back to the dealer to adjust the door, replace some trim on the outside of the unit, and an air conditioner check because it didn't seem to be getting very cold (and it was only in the low 80's outdoors). The first two problems were taken care of and the air conditioner deemed ok via temperature check and the presence of condensation. We just got it back about 2 weeks ago. Now here we are about 200 miles from home and the AC unit conked out. We have 6 nights left on the only possible week off for vacation this year, and no air. The vent: I'm so aggravated!! New unit breaking this quickly...and ruining vacation!!

The advice: asking since it's nighttime and can't do anything about it until tomorrow, if even then, and want to feel like I can do SOMETHING! Reading through the Airxcel warranty it looks like we need to take it to the nearest service center which is almost 50 miles from here! Is that the case? Or am I frustrated without reason? Where do we sleep while it's gone? I guess there's no reimbursement for hotel?

Talk me down someone, please. I work night shift and am in school year-round and really needed a relaxing week. My campsite infested with mosquitoes was bad enough. This is the icing on the cake.

Added: The cable which worked the first 3 nights of camping, didn't use the next 3, was not working when we got here 2 nights ago. There is a little jump cable inside and we bypassed it and got the cable to work. So whatever it is attached to is also broken. Fun times.
I am sorry to hear your frustration. Take a deep breath. First, congrats on your new 197. We also own one. As for your A/C, I need more info on what it is doing or not doing. It may be simple and I may be able to walk you through it. Where are you at? PM me and we will go from there. I know it's hot. Open the windows and hope for a breeze.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #3

Thanks! Well, last night it made noise when we first turned it on. So tonight when we went to start it up we recorded it. When turned on, the fan ran slowly/not coming up to full RPMs and sounded like it was struggling to even get there. I'd describe it as sounding like it's on its last legs- will die any second. My husband thinks it may be a capacitor?
Old 08-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #4

And thankfully, it isn't hot here tonight. We have a 6" fan in the trailer and will blow that on us all night. My two adult sons are due here in the next couple of nights though and we need something better than that to get us through. It's pushing 90 during the day, but down to the high 60s at night. Very little privacy with everything wide open though!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #5

Are you able to check the voltage level at the power pole where you plugged in, my brother in law a/c had trouble starting last year at a camp grounds we found out voltage level was well below whats needed to start a/c properly
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #6

I agree with Kellys i think it might be a voltage issue...maybe both times! 5% change and the ac is not happy.
Socalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:01 AM   #7

Keep calm and camp on!!
Old 08-05-2014, 05:22 AM   #8

Sorry for your issue. Remote techs might also be a possibility. Check with the front office of the CG if there are any in the area. They will come to you, but explain the issue first, the warranty and confirm it would be covered. Another option is to call your dealer and explain what's going on and see if they can provide some insight or local assitance contact info.

I too would check the power. If possible, plug into another post within reach or ask the CG to check your voltage.

Good luck.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:59 AM   #9

I would also contact JAYCO they have been known to authorize service by a RV service center not neccsisarily a JAYCO dealer. But as others have said sure sounds like a voltage issue. Are you using an extension cord?
Old 08-05-2014, 07:05 AM   #10

besides the power issue. The starter capacitor is the next thing I would look at

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #11

Yep, i agree with checking the power at the pole. Our last Jayco I could get the AC to run off of 20A at home, but our most recently purchased jayco, will just run the fan and try to cycle the compressor once before it runs just the fan. If I plug in at a CG with a good 30A supply, it runs fine. If you are plugged into a 20A outlet (normal house outlet) I would place money that, thats all it is. Again, if you are plugged into a 30A service (no adaptor on the end of the power cord comming out of the camper) have someone verify the amprage is correct.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #12

Just calm down and relax. It's not the end of the world, it's just the A/C. Nice to have, but not required while camping. Remember, a bad day of camping is still better than a good day at work. Take it in and have it fixed after your vacation is over.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #13

As far as your cable make sure the amplifier button is not pushed in. Your TV cable will not work if the amplifier is on.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #14

It is always a really good idea to have a plug in voltmeter in the most in your face outlet in the TT. Can't tell you how often low voltage at the post happens in hot weather. If your pulling under 110 v be very careful and adjust your electrical load. If you are in the 100v range... pack it and up go home or shut off the AC
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #15

http://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Elect...ill+watt+meter

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #16

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55263-12...mco+volt+meter
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #17

So what did you find out?
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #18

It really does sound like you are pushing the limits of the power pole you are plugged into! Do you have other electrical items running as well? Is it a 30 amp service? If so your aircon will pull close to 2200 watts when running and almost 2700 when the compressor kicks in! You only have approx 3000 to play with, turn some lights on, tv etc and your aircon is not getting enough. You may actually kill the starting capacitor on it if you keep running it this way! I'd only be comfortable running with 50 amp service... But your camping, you should enjoy being hot, sweaty and cooped up the family! Haha that's real camping! Hopefully this is all it is and not the trailer!
Col3lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #19

just a quick note... just divide the wattage by the voltage and you get you amps...I'm sure everyone knows that but just a friendly reminder from an electrical contractor
Socalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #20

Start Capacitor Potential Relay, known problem. Most likely the relay won't relax and the start cap and windings are remaining engaged. It will pull 20+ amps as it continues to run until it comp shuts down for heat or breaker blows.
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote