Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #1

Furnace

We just got back from our maiden voyage. 3 nights with hookups to water, power and cable. The AC ran great and cooled is down after a hot hike.

The furnace has me thinking. When on, I get a lot of cooler air dumping out of the Dometic AC/fan while the hotter air comes up from the vents down by the floor. Should the furnace mode have air coming out of the "AC unit" as well as the floor? I didn't think it should and thought maybe it was air intake. It was just air out (fan mode).
coachtcardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:58 PM   #2

With the AC on, you shouldn't have anything coming out of the vents in the floor. The only time air should be coming out of the floor vents is when the furnace is on. It's not possible (at least not that I'm aware of) to have the AC on and the furnace fan on at the same time...unless you have some really funky (as in incorrect) wiring going on there.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachtcardoso View Post
We just got back from our maiden voyage. 3 nights with hookups to water, power and cable. The AC ran great and cooled is down after a hot hike.

The furnace has me thinking. When on, I get a lot of cooler air dumping out of the Dometic AC/fan while the hotter air comes up from the vents down by the floor. Should the furnace mode have air coming out of the "AC unit" as well as the floor? I didn't think it should and thought maybe it was air intake. It was just air out (fan mode).
You didn't specify the model of your TT, but this sounds a bit like my 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW. You can run the A/C's *fan* unit on "Auto", "Lo", or "Hi", and then switch the thermostat to either A/C or Furnace. When I set my fan to Auto and turn on my furnace, *SOMETIMES* the A/C's fan (not the A/C compressor, just the fan) comes on. It pulls the newly heated air from the TT cabin and circulates it throughout, thus distributing the warm air.

The furnace and the A/C's circulator fan in my TT have no direct connection - they're physically independent of each other.

But what really has me puzzled is the *sometimes* when the A/C fan kicks in along with the furnace, maybe 1 out of 5 times the furnace runs. This has me baffled; I would expect it to run every time, or never. Not just sometimes, or when it feels like it.

Anyway, your unit may be different than mine. So the answer is, "it depends". Don't you love those?

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #4

My model is a 2016 Jay Feather 26bhsw. It should be very similar to what is described in post #2.

I will try and play with it more tonight before returning it to storage tomorrow.

I'd like more input if it's out there.
coachtcardoso is offline   Reply With Quote