Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #1

furnace blower will not stop

hi all,
I have a 2005 29bhs and this last trip our furnace began malfunctioning.
Initially it will run and heat, but then when it cycles off, the blower continues to run. It never stops, also the heat never cycles back on. We tested and if we turned the switch on the thermostat off for a few minutes and back on, the heat would cycle back on, but once it reached the appropriate temperature it would cycle back off and the blower continually ran. The only way to stop the blower was to remove both ac power and disconnect the battery. I have to take it in to be checked, but does anyone know the cause?
Thanks
flight 29bhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #2

The blower running for some time after the furnace cuts out is normal, but whether it's thermostatically controlled or timed, I don't know. Either way, I'm going to bet whatever switch tells the blower motor to stop after the furnace cycles off is defective.

I'm only guessing here based on my understanding of how the furnace works and I have to wonder if that's an end-user serviceable part? Interested to hear how the dealer fixes it...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #3

It's the high limit switch.
Ali#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
it's the high limit switch.
x2 on the limit switch. Also, check the return air and make sure nothing is obstructed. If there are drawers above the heater, I would bet something fell out behind the drawers and is partially blocking airflow. The reason your fan continues to run, it's probably been cycling on limit numerous times now it's stuck. Change it out and you should be ok.....after you check and make sure return air is open of course.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali#1 View Post
It's the high limit switch.
Thank you. I believe that is it.
flight 29bhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:05 AM   #6

Similar problem

Hi, I am having a similar problem with my Atwood furnace in my 2016 Jayco HT Eagle 27.5RLTS. Just went on a camping trip above Syracuse, NY and used the furnace for 4 days with no problem at all. As we were preparing to pack up and come home, the furnace blower kicked on, but no heat came on. The furnace blower continued to run, even when I set the thermostat to off and the temperature to the lowest setting. The furnace blower ran nonstop for a couple of hours while we packed up. Finally, I got it to shut down by pulling the 20 Amp fuse for the furnace.

When I got home, I set up the trailer, connected power and turned on propane, checked the stove and the fireplace and those all worked fine. Had the thermostat still in off position and lowest temperature setting. Put the 20 amp furnace fuse back in and the furnace blower immediately started running again, but no heat. Looked through the manuals on the furnace and saw that there is a power switch on the unit. I opened the grill in front of the furnace, found the switch and turned it off. Furnace blower stopped. However, with this switch turned off, the AC and the fan no longer function. Thermostat settings have no effect. Turned the furnace power switch back on and furnace blower starts running again, still no heat. AC and fan now function properly using thermostat. Finally, I turned the furnace power switch off, turned off the 30 amp main A/C breaker and disconnected the battery. Then I reconnected the battery, turned on the 30 amp A/C breaker, and turned on the furnace power switch. At this point, the furnace blower did not start running again. I checked the AC and fan operation with the thermostat and they work fine. With the thermostat set to the lowest temp, I turned the thermostat switch to Heat. Still no activity from the furnace, as expected. Checked the stove and propane is working fine. Slid the thermostat temp up until I heard a click and the furnace blower came on. Waited 5 minutes, but no ignition on the furnace burner and the blower continues to run. Had to repeat above procedure to get the furnace blower to stop running.

Your post mentions a high limit switch as being the culprit. Where is this switch and how do you get to it? Looking at my furnace unit, it is a sealed box with only the power switch on top being accessible without removing the whole unit.

Is there a simple fix to this problem or am I stuck taking my 5th wheel back to the dealer (over an hour away)?
RevDLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #7

Similar problem

Hi, I am having a similar problem with my Atwood furnace in my 2016 Jayco HT Eagle 27.5RLTS. Just went on a camping trip above Syracuse, NY and used the furnace for 4 days with no problem at all. As we were preparing to pack up and come home, the furnace blower kicked on, but no heat came on. The furnace blower continued to run, even when I set the thermostat to off and the temperature to the lowest setting. The furnace blower ran nonstop for a couple of hours while we packed up. Finally, I got it to shut down by pulling the 20 Amp fuse for the furnace.

When I got home, I set up the trailer, connected power and turned on propane, checked the stove and the fireplace and those all worked fine. Had the thermostat still in off position and lowest temperature setting. Put the 20 amp furnace fuse back in and the furnace blower immediately started running again, but no heat. Looked through the manuals on the furnace and saw that there is a power switch on the unit. I opened the grill in front of the furnace, found the switch and turned it off. Furnace blower stopped. However, with this switch turned off, the AC and the fan no longer function. Thermostat settings have no effect. Turned the furnace power switch back on and furnace blower starts running again, still no heat. AC and fan now function properly using thermostat. Finally, I turned the furnace power switch off, turned off the 30 amp main A/C breaker and disconnected the battery. Then I reconnected the battery, turned on the 30 amp A/C breaker, and turned on the furnace power switch. At this point, the furnace blower did not start running again. I checked the AC and fan operation with the thermostat and they work fine. With the thermostat set to the lowest temp, I turned the thermostat switch to Heat. Still no activity from the furnace, as expected. Checked the stove and propane is working fine. Slid the thermostat temp up until I heard a click and the furnace blower came on. Waited 5 minutes, but no ignition on the furnace burner and the blower continues to run. Had to repeat above procedure to get the furnace blower to stop running.

Your post mentions a high limit switch as being the culprit. Where is this switch and how do you get to it? Looking at my furnace unit, it is a sealed box with only the power switch on top being accessible without removing the whole unit.

Is there a simple fix to this problem or am I stuck taking my 5th wheel back to the dealer (over an hour away)?
RevDLA is offline   Reply With Quote