Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #1

gas alarm going off in the middle of the night

Has anyone had an issue with there gas alarm going off in the middle of the night for no reason...Had it into the dealer, no gas leaks and they replaced the sensor and it is still doing it even with the gas turned off....Seems to only do it when A/C is runnig in the wee hours of the morning... Driving us crazy...
jacketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #2

Are you sure it is the gas alarm and not the CO2 alarm? Also what makes you sure it is a false alarm?

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
Site Team

I am assuming you refer to the co2/propane detector;

Yes, It usually means you will be buying one soon. Seriously, a dog or a human emits gas that will set it off. Other things like hair spray have been known to set them off.

Most of them have a disclaimer on the inside that says "Replace after 5 years." But if they fail I know of no warranty.

You can buy them on ebay at a pretty reasonable price, or Twittys..(Don't want to get any ones feathers ruffled)
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #4

Yes it is the gas alarm....Smell no gas and dealer says no leaks......I have a dual sensor... And it is the gas alarm that goes off....
Old 07-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Site Team

If your rig is new or in warranty your dealer may help you out. If not, it is not an expensive or difficult item to replace.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 07-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #6

It is just weird that it only does it when the a/c is on.......It sits at home with it hooked up to electric and the gas on and it never goes off....
Old 07-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #7

Two things that come to mind. 1. Vibration.. The A/C is making something vibrate within the alarm unit setting it off. 2. Electrical.. The A/C is pulling alot of power and there is a drop at the alarm system causing a malfunction.. As Norty posted, they are pretty cheap to replace (unless your TT is under warranty).

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #8

At my walk through yesterday, I was told that if the gas alarm goes off I should first check the battery voltage. If there is enough of a drop the alarm will chirp. Maybe the ac is dropping it enough for that to happen.

Dave
malibuskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #9

The voltage drop is what made my detector do exactly as your.

I put a regular battery charger on the batts for 24 hrs. and it never chirped again.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #10

2012 Jayco Skylark false alarms

If buying a new one, search well -- there is a huge spread in internet sellers' pricing. Recently had to replace my dual alarm due to false, random gas alerts. 2012 Jayco SKYLARK but my original installed alarm was coded 2010. My model's price range on the internet varied from $67 to well over $125. Models now have some sort of government mandated 5-year electronic disabler that arms when first power is introduced to the alarm.
yrralrellim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Alaska View Post
The voltage drop is what made my detector do exactly as your.

I put a regular battery charger on the batts for 24 hrs. and it never chirped again.
If your 12v is that low, I would suspect the converter is not putting out or you have some corroded connections. I think that is a long shot when the ac power is on and the aircond is running. I would check the volt at the alarm unit if it is at least 12.5v dc, low volt is not the problem.
While you have it out to check the voltage, verify all the wires on the back have tight connections.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 07-19-2014, 05:26 AM   #12

Mine did it when I left my old tennis shoes by the door where the sensor is.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #13

We have had an issue with our CO2/propane detector beeping for seemingly no reason as well. We have had it in for inspection twice, and everything comes back squeaky clean. The first time, they gave us a new one, but it happened again. It happens when there is not heat/stove/hot water heater running....just out of the blue.....incredibly annoying! Sorry I can't be of more help, but we can't get ours to stop!
reneegavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #14

I think we are talking about a CO detector, not a CO2 detector. My Designer has a combination CO/Propane detector that was out of date when I bought it. My dealer replaced it with a new one and it failed after 3 years. The failure mode was it going off in the middle of the night. Typically around 3:00am. It was replaced after a thorough check for leaks and no problems since.

I don't think these detectors are very high quality so infant mortality seems to be frequent. I just wish the combination CO/Propane detector was cheaper when it does fail.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #15

All I can tell you is this, my microwave was going off "ONLY AT NIGHT" driving me NUTS, and it sounded like it was coming from the alarm. Check for bags of potato chips, bread or anything that may be stored in there, good luck!!

Dan

2011 Tacoma
2013 Swift 185
Danmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #16

Yup mine does it as well worst thing is I'm a plumber trained to look for leaks. I know that nothing is wrong. The one thing that seemed to work is cracking the exhaust fan in the bathroom and turn the fan on. I have wondered if my dog has been laying up against it.
T bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #17

Mine did the same thing at the beginning of the season. I contacted the manufacturer of the alarm because the camper is only 1 1/2 years old. The sensors work by absorbing the gas. Once they detect the gas they become more sensitive. They also told me to make sure that there wasn't any harsh chemicals stored in the cabinet were they detector was located (There wasn't). They said that some cleaners will set the alarm off if it is too close to the detector. Mine would only go off in the middle of the night while everyone was sound asleep no matter if the what was on. It went off one night while we were connected to shore power with the ac and furnace off. The manufacturer replaced the detector under warranty so make sure to give them a call. No more walk up calls thus far.