Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #1

Gas Grill ???

I have a 2015 Jay Flight 26RLS. Need to buy a gas grill for her. I have the factory quick connect for the LP gas grill connection.
Can I just buy a 10' -12" LP gas hose with quick connect and connect any LP gas grill to it?
Mikeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #2

You can connect any gas grill to the camper that is set up for LOW PRESSURE. You can modify a grill that uses screw on disposable bottles by fabricating the proper sized orifice and removing the regulator but unless your familiar with such things you probably should just buy a grill that's set up for low pressure from the factory.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

I bought a Camco Olympian 5500 from amazon along with the 10' extension hose (it comes with a 4' hose). This grill and hose are designed to plug right into the low pressure outlet on an RV. Works perfect right out of the box on my 2014 Jayco Eagle 338 rlts. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #4

I have a Coleman Roadtrip grill that came with a regulator. When connected to the coach system you are effectively double regulating the gas.
A hacksaw did the trick on my Coleman. I cut the regulator off, attached a 12' hose with a quick connect on the loose end and it has worked well for 3 years.
Incidentally the grill came out of a dumpster in our RV park. I found two of them there, Took them apart and made one good one but bought new grill surfaces for it.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
You can connect any gas grill to the camper that is set up for LOW PRESSURE. You can modify a grill that uses screw on disposable bottles by fabricating the proper sized orifice and removing the regulator but unless your familiar with such things you probably should just buy a grill that's set up for low pressure from the factory.
You don't have to fabricate anything. The regulator on the grill regulates down to the same as any regulator, 11" WC, and it has to be removed to use it on the trailers low pressure connection. Nothing else is needed. Most regulators are attached to the control portion using 1/8" NPT threads and adapter fittings are easy to find to convert it to a quick-connect.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
I bought a Camco Olympian 5500 from amazon along with the 10' extension hose (it comes with a 4' hose). This grill and hose are designed to plug right into the low pressure outlet on an RV. Works perfect right out of the box on my 2014 Jayco Eagle 338 rlts. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Did you mount the grill to the TT or do you just use the stand it comes with ?
Mike
Old 05-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
You don't have to fabricate anything. The regulator on the grill regulates down to the same as any regulator, 11" WC, and it has to be removed to use it on the trailers low pressure connection. Nothing else is needed. Most regulators are attached to the control portion using 1/8" NPT threads and adapter fittings are easy to find to convert it to a quick-connect.
I went with a Weber Baby Q (Q-120). Removed the regulator and went to the local RV/LP store where he attached a hose with a quick-connect to attach to the RV - works like a charm!
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #8

Weber Q200 is what we use.

I had every intention to remove the regulator and use the TT quick connect. In actuality though I have just been using the 1# coleman propane bottles. We were already carrying them for a couple of lanterns we use so it was just as easy to have a couple more and the I could still use the Weber at other times without having to replace the regulator.

FYI those 1# bottles last much longer than I expected. On a recent trip one bottle lasted all of our cooking needs...
- 2.5# tri-tip = 45min
- 8 burgers = 15-20 min
- 8 hot dogs = 15min
- Italian sausages = 15 min

These were all separate cooks. After this I determined the bottles work good enough for us even at the higher cost for them compared to bulk filling the two 30# bottles on the TT.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #9

I must say I am confused ! Some say that any LP gas grill will work with the TT hook up when the regulator is removed.
Is this correct ?
Old 05-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #10

Yes that is probably 99% true where there may be one grill out there that you can't remove the regulator.

Grills with no regulator and 1/4 quick connect fitting already installed
RVQ- Mounts to the side of the unit
Camco Olympian - Mounts to the side of the unit SSteel

Grills with regulators that can be removed:
Coleman Road trip-
Camp Chef -
Webber Q series -

I am sure there are a few others, but these are the ones I have experience with and can confirm.

Hope this helps.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Yes that is probably 99% true where there may be one grill out there that you can't remove the regulator.

Grills with no regulator and 1/4 quick connect fitting already installed
RVQ- Mounts to the side of the unit
Camco Olympian - Mounts to the side of the unit SSteel

Grills with regulators that can be removed:
Coleman Road trip-
Camp Chef -
Webber Q series -

I am sure there are a few others, but these are the ones I have experience with and can confirm.

Hope this helps.
10-4 It does . Thanks for clearing that up !
Old 05-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Alaska View Post
I have a Coleman Roadtrip grill that came with a regulator. When connected to the coach system you are effectively double regulating the gas.
A hacksaw did the trick on my Coleman. I cut the regulator off, attached a 12' hose with a quick connect on the loose end and it has worked well for 3 years.
Incidentally the grill came out of a dumpster in our RV park. I found two of them there, Took them apart and made one good one but bought new grill surfaces for it.
Here's another option for hooking up a Coleman LXE to a quick connect that was posted on another forum and on youtube:http://youtu.be/cq9yZ6y-H2s
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote