Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #31

No flying J's here on the east coast of Canada, but usually the gas stations on the transcanada are already pretty well equipped for large trucks, so doing a trailer is no problem.
Hate pre-paying rules. Found that in Quebec and that is a total PITA.

Also, can't use credit cards in USA pumps because it requires billing zip code to turn on the pump and my "zip" has letters.
I think that Canadian banks should design a billing zip for Canadians that allows us to just put in 00001 to override that issue, since we don't use postal codes as a security feature here.
Maybe next time I go to the USA, I'll have to make up a US billing address and change my card before I go, just so I can use my credit card... After all, paying with interac is a pita in the USA as well, since they don't use chip cards and they don't accept interac cards that aren't backed by visa/MasterCard, since apparently American banks can't be trusted to pay or some such stuff... That's what we were told anyway. I always end up having to go to the ATM to take out cash, since debit doesn't work at the store/gas station

Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
With over 30 years of towing camp trailers and such, I have never unhitched just to get fuel
Nope never, backed out of a few after nosing in though. Guess ya need to be comfy backing if needed.

196? Shasta 16ft

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:06 PM   #33

The newer trucks can take the big fuel nozzles. Our older diesels have a car sized fuel filler and cannot. I added a fuel tank to the bed partly because this allows me to use the bigger truck nozzle if I need to. Then I just pump it into the main tank as I drive.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:37 AM   #34

Canadian Postal Code Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post

Also, can't use credit cards in USA pumps because it requires billing zip code to turn on the pump and my "zip" has letters.
I think that Canadian banks should design a billing zip for Canadians that allows us to just put in 00001 to override that issue, since we don't use postal codes as a security feature here.
Maybe next time I go to the USA, I'll have to make up a US billing address and change my card before I go, just so I can use my credit card... After all, paying with interac is a pita in the USA as well, since they don't use chip cards and they don't accept interac cards that aren't backed by visa/MasterCard, since apparently American banks can't be trusted to pay or some such stuff... That's what we were told anyway. I always end up having to go to the ATM to take out cash, since debit doesn't work at the store/gas station
There is a solution... you use the 3 digits in your postal code followed by "00". so a postal code of L2B 3H6 would result in a ZIP Code of 23600. I have been using this for the last two years and it works about 90% of the time.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
There is a solution... you use the 3 digits in your postal code followed by "00". so a postal code of L2B 3H6 would result in a ZIP Code of 23600. I have been using this for the last two years and it works about 90% of the time.
Well I hadn't considered that. Very interesting! Thanks
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #36

We use the AllStays Camp and RV app on our phone/iPad, which not only tells you where the stations are but the current fuel prices as well. In addition, I can see a satellite view of the station to see if it's layout is friendly to a larger rig. Available at the App Store.
Dual Pane Windows
Rear View Safety backup camera
Macerator system
northmeck0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #37

Source - Amex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Well I hadn't considered that. Very interesting! Thanks
I should have mentioned... It was Amex that put me on to that solution. So I know it works on thier cards for sure. I am pretty sure I have used my Mastercard the same way... but cant say 100%

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:39 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
My biggest tip: always know how you're going to get out BEFORE you get in. Having two or three different ways is even better. DW asked me once how I thought I was going to get out of a fueling situation; I rattled off exactly how I would get out 3 different ways depending on what other drivers did, and who showed up and who left while I was fueling. All those decisions were made before I even pulled off the street into the station.

If you aren't at least 100% certain how you'll get out after you fuel up, then move on until you get to somewhere you are.
I think this is the best tip in this series, and applies to any place you think about taking a trailer into. Getting out is usually more difficult then getting in. I have spent years working on the operations and safety side of trucking companies. I have told this to professional truck drivers frequently. And unless you are very familiar with someplace, do not depend on being able to drive around behind someplace. Too frequently it is blocked or too tight. Also, if I ever have to be someplace where my only choice is to back out, I would rather back into someplace, then to back out into traffic. Also another thing from trucking is the term G.O.A.L. It stands for Get Out And Look. Before you pull or back into anyplace that you are not absolutely certain of, get out of the vehicle and walk and look.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:04 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Hunter View Post
I think this is the best tip in this series, and applies to any place you think about taking a trailer into. Getting out is usually more difficult then getting in. I have spent years working on the operations and safety side of trucking companies. I have told this to professional truck drivers frequently. And unless you are very familiar with someplace, do not depend on being able to drive around behind someplace. Too frequently it is blocked or too tight. Also, if I ever have to be someplace where my only choice is to back out, I would rather back into someplace, then to back out into traffic. Also another thing from trucking is the term G.O.A.L. It stands for Get Out And Look. Before you pull or back into anyplace that you are not absolutely certain of, get out of the vehicle and walk and look.
700K+ accident free & zero damage O.O. using G.O.A.L. there is no better advice. Thanks Buckeye Hunter!
196? Shasta 16ft

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:01 PM   #40

Travel for months at a time, all over the west, typically on two lane roads and never have had an issue with not being able to get gas and get out. Of course I've bypassed a few stations not to my liking. Just pay attention to pulling in as to how you will exit. We are about 50' overall with TT and TV.
I do know my turning radius and my own comfort level also. Trailer follows the TV very well.