Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #21

Wow, what a great response from everyone, thank you!

Lots of helpful tips. I am in Canada (BC), we don't have the Flying J option up here, but man o man do we have a lot of Tim Hortons!

Cheers,
Corey
Old 08-19-2015, 01:59 PM   #22

First RV was a fifth wheel. Quickly learned the best time to get fuel is unhitched. Of course, not possible when you're between destinations, but except for a TA/Petro off I-10 outside of El Paso, TX, I've never really had a maneuvering issue on or off an Interstate with either the fifth wheel or now, our WhiteHawk.............knock on wood.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #23

BC Pilot Flying J Locations

0827 Flying J Cardlock 929 Coutts Way & Sumas Way Abbotsford BC, CA
0798 Flying J Fuel Stop 1291 Cliveden Ave Annacis Island Delta BC, CA
0799 Flying J Cardlock 7970 Lickman RD. Chilliwack BC, CA
0828 Flying J Cardlock 2209 Theatre Road Cranbrook BC, CA
0829 Flying J Cardlock 1411 Northwest Blvd Creston BC, CA
0830 Flying J Cardlock 1725 Alaska Ave Dawson Creek BC, CA
0800 Flying J Cardlock 9407 109th Street
@ Alaska Hwy & 109 St. Fort St. John BC, CA
0861 Flying J Travel Plaza 63100 Flood Hope Road
@ Hwy 1 Exit 168 Hope BC, CA Subway
0847 Flying J Fuel Stop 175 Kokanee Way Kamloops BC, CA Billy Miner's Roadhouse
0832 Flying J Cardlock 24 Braid St New Westminster BC, CA
0801 Flying J Fuel Stop 4869 Continental Way Prince George BC, CA
0802 Flying J Cardlock 8655 Boundary Road Vancouver BC, CA

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsafetya View Post
Wow, what a great response from everyone, thank you!

Lots of helpful tips. I am in Canada (BC), we don't have the Flying J option up here, but man o man do we have a lot of Tim Hortons!

Cheers,
Corey
Oh man! I'd LOVE to have a Tim Horton's down here! I always have to go there when I visit family in Michigan!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ont Pete View Post
I have yet to find a nozzle to big for my truck! If it's a bigger nozzle all you do is don't squeeze the nozzle all the way. I put it on the first click and it works fine, but if you go to fast it still takes it but it will spit back when its full.
I don't want to hijack this but .......
The diameter of the pump nozzle for pickups is 1.5" or so, the "truck" lanes nozzle is 2" or so and it does not fit into the fill hole in a P/U. You can hold the nozzle and "trickle" the truck pump to a P/U but it does not fit. The duel pumps allow the big truck to fill both saddle tanks at the same time.
The commercial trucks waiting to get to pumps do not appreciate "land yachts" in their spaces they are on the clock and time is money. Same goes for parking in the truck stop lots, the spaces are for commercial trucks. RV's have many more options than the commercial trucks on where they can go. Many places we use are illegal for the big trucks. People here post about moving their TT's and 5ers try 75ft of truck @80,000, a standard commercial trailer is 53 feet. Give the guys a break and stay out of their spaces.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #26

I always plan out the gas stations ahead of time by distance. Go to websites for truck stops near towns I now my gas will be getting low and then using maps in google maps find the gas station and then with street view or google earth I can see how the station is set up. I always try to find islands that exit parallel to the station.

2010 Dodge 1/2 ton 5.7 Hemi 4Wd
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 25 RKS
puestads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:10 PM   #27

I will generally look for a gas station at 1/4 tank as well. most just off the hiway in BC are pretty easy to get in and out of. I prefer to use PetroCan if i can find them... Most of the time there is a Tim Horton's near them as well. If not, well... it is pretty hard to get 53ft of TV & TT into the drivethru... .(but i do like my coffee when travelling) if the station is a bit of a tight squeeze, I will use it if I have no other close option. If I have to block a couple pumps along the island, so be it. The biggest PITA (pain in the a$$) here in BC is Grant's Law (prepay fueling) but then i will use the CC in the pump. Its all just part of the adventure of getting to your destination.
PS: Always Always Always know the dimensions of your rig, and add at least 6" to your total height as a just in case. If in doubt, Get DW to stand on the highest point she can find as you inch into and out of the station.
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:32 PM   #28

With over 30 years of towing camp trailers and such, I have never unhitched just to get fuel

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:14 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
I don't want to hijack this but .......
The diameter of the pump nozzle for pickups is 1.5" or so, the "truck" lanes nozzle is 2" or so and it does not fit into the fill hole in a P/U. You can hold the nozzle and "trickle" the truck pump to a P/U but it does not fit. The duel pumps allow the big truck to fill both saddle tanks at the same time.
The commercial trucks waiting to get to pumps do not appreciate "land yachts" in their spaces they are on the clock and time is money. Same goes for parking in the truck stop lots, the spaces are for commercial trucks. RV's have many more options than the commercial trucks on where they can go. Many places we use are illegal for the big trucks. People here post about moving their TT's and 5ers try 75ft of truck @80,000, a standard commercial trailer is 53 feet. Give the guys a break and stay out of their spaces.

At least on my truck, the "truck" nozzles fit with room to spare. I use the truck lanes often. I've also had truckers be nothing but polite at those same pumps. I get in and out. No wasting anybody's time. If anything, I've heard diesel car owners complain when a pickup used the diesel pump with the smaller nozzle that fits cars because there are less of those available.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:29 AM   #30

For now, we are making weekend trips so I fuel up before we leave, no need to refuel on the road. My 06 F250 diesel will accept the larger truck nozzles. Ran across an item in Tractor Supply yesterday, it was a kit for fuel/gas cans that included a larger diameter and longer spout plus the option to and the vent that the cans used to have. Will try to post a photo later today.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #31

No flying J's here on the east coast of Canada, but usually the gas stations on the transcanada are already pretty well equipped for large trucks, so doing a trailer is no problem.
Hate pre-paying rules. Found that in Quebec and that is a total PITA.

Also, can't use credit cards in USA pumps because it requires billing zip code to turn on the pump and my "zip" has letters.
I think that Canadian banks should design a billing zip for Canadians that allows us to just put in 00001 to override that issue, since we don't use postal codes as a security feature here.
Maybe next time I go to the USA, I'll have to make up a US billing address and change my card before I go, just so I can use my credit card... After all, paying with interac is a pita in the USA as well, since they don't use chip cards and they don't accept interac cards that aren't backed by visa/MasterCard, since apparently American banks can't be trusted to pay or some such stuff... That's what we were told anyway. I always end up having to go to the ATM to take out cash, since debit doesn't work at the store/gas station
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
With over 30 years of towing camp trailers and such, I have never unhitched just to get fuel
Nope never, backed out of a few after nosing in though. Guess ya need to be comfy backing if needed.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #33

The newer trucks can take the big fuel nozzles. Our older diesels have a car sized fuel filler and cannot. I added a fuel tank to the bed partly because this allows me to use the bigger truck nozzle if I need to. Then I just pump it into the main tank as I drive.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:37 AM   #34

Canadian Postal Code Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post

Also, can't use credit cards in USA pumps because it requires billing zip code to turn on the pump and my "zip" has letters.
I think that Canadian banks should design a billing zip for Canadians that allows us to just put in 00001 to override that issue, since we don't use postal codes as a security feature here.
Maybe next time I go to the USA, I'll have to make up a US billing address and change my card before I go, just so I can use my credit card... After all, paying with interac is a pita in the USA as well, since they don't use chip cards and they don't accept interac cards that aren't backed by visa/MasterCard, since apparently American banks can't be trusted to pay or some such stuff... That's what we were told anyway. I always end up having to go to the ATM to take out cash, since debit doesn't work at the store/gas station
There is a solution... you use the 3 digits in your postal code followed by "00". so a postal code of L2B 3H6 would result in a ZIP Code of 23600. I have been using this for the last two years and it works about 90% of the time.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:42 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
There is a solution... you use the 3 digits in your postal code followed by "00". so a postal code of L2B 3H6 would result in a ZIP Code of 23600. I have been using this for the last two years and it works about 90% of the time.
Well I hadn't considered that. Very interesting! Thanks
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:46 AM   #36

We use the AllStays Camp and RV app on our phone/iPad, which not only tells you where the stations are but the current fuel prices as well. In addition, I can see a satellite view of the station to see if it's layout is friendly to a larger rig. Available at the App Store.
Dual Pane Windows
Rear View Safety backup camera
Macerator system
northmeck0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #37

Source - Amex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Well I hadn't considered that. Very interesting! Thanks
I should have mentioned... It was Amex that put me on to that solution. So I know it works on thier cards for sure. I am pretty sure I have used my Mastercard the same way... but cant say 100%

Old 08-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
My biggest tip: always know how you're going to get out BEFORE you get in. Having two or three different ways is even better. DW asked me once how I thought I was going to get out of a fueling situation; I rattled off exactly how I would get out 3 different ways depending on what other drivers did, and who showed up and who left while I was fueling. All those decisions were made before I even pulled off the street into the station.

If you aren't at least 100% certain how you'll get out after you fuel up, then move on until you get to somewhere you are.
I think this is the best tip in this series, and applies to any place you think about taking a trailer into. Getting out is usually more difficult then getting in. I have spent years working on the operations and safety side of trucking companies. I have told this to professional truck drivers frequently. And unless you are very familiar with someplace, do not depend on being able to drive around behind someplace. Too frequently it is blocked or too tight. Also, if I ever have to be someplace where my only choice is to back out, I would rather back into someplace, then to back out into traffic. Also another thing from trucking is the term G.O.A.L. It stands for Get Out And Look. Before you pull or back into anyplace that you are not absolutely certain of, get out of the vehicle and walk and look.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:04 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Hunter View Post
I think this is the best tip in this series, and applies to any place you think about taking a trailer into. Getting out is usually more difficult then getting in. I have spent years working on the operations and safety side of trucking companies. I have told this to professional truck drivers frequently. And unless you are very familiar with someplace, do not depend on being able to drive around behind someplace. Too frequently it is blocked or too tight. Also, if I ever have to be someplace where my only choice is to back out, I would rather back into someplace, then to back out into traffic. Also another thing from trucking is the term G.O.A.L. It stands for Get Out And Look. Before you pull or back into anyplace that you are not absolutely certain of, get out of the vehicle and walk and look.
700K+ accident free & zero damage O.O. using G.O.A.L. there is no better advice. Thanks Buckeye Hunter!
Old 08-23-2015, 10:01 PM   #40

Travel for months at a time, all over the west, typically on two lane roads and never have had an issue with not being able to get gas and get out. Of course I've bypassed a few stations not to my liking. Just pay attention to pulling in as to how you will exit. We are about 50' overall with TT and TV.
I do know my turning radius and my own comfort level also. Trailer follows the TV very well.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote