Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
We just plug the RV power cord to the champion 2000 watt gen, you just have to switch the fridge to gas to minimize the power draw of the gen. It will power all the outlets, lights, stereo, etc....just not all at the same time. It will not operate the AC and it will trip if you use the microwave since it is charging the batt at the same time. The Champion 2000 operates at 2000 peak watts and provides 1650 watts steady power. It is also very fuel efficient

2012 Jayfeather X213
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Quad cab 4x4
Westerncanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
The Honda inverters are really a fine piece, albiet pricey. I have a 3000i Handi and it will run most things in the TT. A/C and Microwave at same time, no. Do reccommend a plug in voltmeter should always be in a prominent receptacle so you know what's happening especially if you are on shore power in the hot summer time. Not alll campgrounds have good power sources.
I had a transfer switch put in at the house and that Honda 3000i Handy will power up most critical circuits in the house when or if your power goes out ie: gas furnace, TV, lights, refrigerator, fans. I see a lot endorse the 2000. Check the features of this one out before you buy. 78lbs, quiet, long run time, low idle circuit, low oil shut down and built in wheels

Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
Q1: If we wanted to buy a generator just for charging the batteries for the TT, what size generator would be needed? Q2:How long do the batteries generally last while dry camping?

A1: My recommendation is either a Honda (2000) or Yamaha (2000) generator. Yes, they are more expensive than others, but they are quiet and reliable. If you go cheap, you'll regret it later.

A2: It all depends. The general rule is that you don't want to use more than 50% of the battery amp hour (ah) rating. With a single, "standard" 12V RV battery (105ah), that means you will need to re-charge after consuming about 50 ah. If you're very conservative on your battery usage, you might get 2-3 days of use before a re-charge is needed. To increase the time between charging, you can use two batteries. If you do so, make sure both batteries are of the same type and in the same condition. For two 12V batteries, you'll be connecting in parallel and you calculate your total amp hours by adding the amp hours of each 12V battery. So, two 12V 105ah batteries connected in parallel yields approximately 210ah. For two 6V batteries connected in series, you don't add the amp hours as is the case for the 12V batteries -- your amp hours are as stated on the single 6V battery (eg, 210 ah).

2004 Suburban 2500 LT 8.1L/4.10/4x4
Putnam XDR Class V, Equalizer 1400#
2006 Jayco Eagle 264BHS
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote