Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2015, 08:32 AM   #1

Generator Question

We are novice campers, but have dove head first into camping and we LOVE it! We are in the market for a good Generator and would really appreciate some suggestions.
We just purchased our 2010 Jayco Jayflight 26 bhs, and were curious what wattage generator we should get. We have 2 children, and I personally want to be able to have more than enough juice to cover anything. We usually go for weekend trips during the summer (M-F, 5x a summer), but we have added a & day trip for 2015.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Jen
campcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:43 AM   #2

genny

To run air conditioning, expect to need a 3000w model. I have the Honda.even with this we don't have more than enough power to run many other thing with the aircon. And its heavy. If I were doing it over again I'd pick up two of the honda 2000w models and the kit for connecting them (4000w). This way if your not expecting to need the aircon, take one with you, and its a manageable weight for one person.
The hondas are very quiet.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:09 AM   #3

There are many existing posts about generators here on the forum.
Know that you will be opening up a can of worms on this topic, because it is not unlike the Ford/Chevy/Dodge issue. Some people feel the need to promote their brand of generator and impune all other brands. So just read all the responses you will get and dismiss those ones that go overboard, and then make your decision.

If you are looking to get a generator to do everything (such as run your A/C) you will need at least a 3,000 watt generator.

But first you will need to provide additional information:
1.Will you be camping in campgrounds, or boondocking where no one will be nearby? All generators make noise. Inverter generators are much more quiet than contractor-grade generators. But inverter generators are also much more expensive per-watt than contractor grade. If you are out on your own property or elsewhere boondocking where no one can hear you, a contractor generator may be ok (if you don't mind the noise). Otherwise, go with inverter. Inverters also deliver "clean" power that is needed to run some electronics (especially computers, some TVs, etc)
2. How physically fit are you? Generators are heavy. The more watts, the more they weigh. Most 2000 watt generators are about 50 pounds and can be lifted by one person. 3000 watt generators weigh 100 pounds or more and take 2 people to move. Larger generators (if you want to run A/C and every other item in your trailer at the same time) will weigh even more. With the 2000 watt generators, you can actually buy two of them and pair them together (with an adapter kit) to double your wattage (and therefore run your A/C). You might consider this if a 3000 watt generator is too heavy for you to deal with.
3. What brand should you choose? Here is where you'll see lots of opinions about what to buy and what to avoid.
There are many choices of inverter generators but most people purchase one of three brands. Honda (considered the gold standard), Yamaha (also very good) and Champion (some people consider it not quite as good as the others, but others are very happy with it). Many other brands exist, and new ones come to market continually, but these are the three that are best known and have best reputation.
4. What are you willing to pay?
Honda and Yamaha cost more money, almost twice as much as Champion. You can look for sales. For example, Menards home improvement centers have Champion 2000 watt inverter generator on sale right now for about $469. Honda and Yamaha's go for around $900. Off brands may be cheaper than Champion.

Good luck. You'll probably hear lots of suggestions to buy only this or that brand. Depending upon how quickly you want to purchase, it may be helpful to spend a few weekends in a camping situation and talk and listen to people who have their generators out and running. Then you will get first hand info and be able to hear for yourself how different generators sound and how large they are.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #4

X2 - dewey02. That is about that best summation response campcarney could hope for. Should make it a sticky post for all future inquirers.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:19 AM   #5

x3
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #6
Site Team

x4
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #7

We have 2-2000watt Honda Generators. Connected together provide 4000watts, enough for air conditioning & other utilities. Honda is a quiet generator. Easy starting, Light enough to lift into truck. Very satisfied with them.
michigancampermcsmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #8

Also keep your eyes open for store specials or manufacturer deals AND local servicing options. We happened on the Honda 0-down/18-month financing so went that route (2-2000w) through a local garden supply store that offered great set-up, support (installed run-time meters), and servicing.
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #9

Just remember not everywhere will let you use your generator. Here on the East side of the US almost all PUBLIC places have generator run time restrictions. usually from 8AM -10AM and then again from 4:30PM to 7:30pm. Never allowed to run the generator after 8PM all night night long. This doesn't give you much time to cool down from using your air conditioners. Even the Natl Forest areas have restrictions.

It is somewhat relaxed out WEST but behoves you to always check where you are going to be to see what the rule are...

Out West you find alot of DISPERSED camping which allows use of the generator whenever when you want to use it...

Just saying to be sure to check things first before dumping a bunch of monies into a generator setup and then find out you can't use it when you want to. Private camping spots is up to the land owners...

After learning all of this I put all my moneis into beefing up my OFF_ROAD POPUPS setups so we could do all the things we wanted to do running off the batteries. The only time I use my 2KW generator is to re0cjarge my battery banks using smart mode chargeing so I can get them charged in a quick three hour generator run time.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #10

BTW, welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice given on generators.
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #11

thank you all for the great advice! we really appreciate the help, and are glad we have this forum for advice! we hope as we learn we can be of help,too!
campcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:26 PM   #12

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good folks and good advice.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:49 PM   #13

I'm a Honda EU2000i user, and am very pleased. Bought it used on Craig's List for $600. I strongly suggest watching Craig's List for what ever you buy.

My advice to you, regardless of brand or wattage, pay very close attention to the Db ratings. If you are ever going to be camping around other folks I strongly suggest Db rating of 58Db or less. Anything louder than 58 and no one will be happy. For reference the Honda and Yamaha are rated for 53DB at 1/4 load which is very pleasant.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:27 AM   #14

Honda has a new 3000w generator out now that is less than half the weight of the original 3000 its fairly pricey but look to be a good fit for camping and a lot easier to handle I believe its called the EU3000i handi . looks like a solid unit
Cyclops69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops69 View Post
Honda has a new 3000w generator out now that is less than half the weight of the original 3000 its fairly pricey but look to be a good fit for camping and a lot easier to handle I believe its called the EU3000i handi . looks like a solid unit
Did it change? Handi 3000 came out in 09.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:36 AM   #16

I thought they made it lighter? but then again my internet is pretty slow!!!!
Cyclops69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #17

As you can see in my signature we use 2 Yamaha 2000w generators with a parallel kit.

This provides 30 amps. They are 44 lbs each so can be easily moved.

Expensive, but you get what you pay for. We also use for back up power at the stick house.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #18

Have Yamaha EF2400iSHC Portable Generator, it will run 13500 btu AC, however, everything else has to be off, it weights about 70 lb, very fuel efficient, fairly quiet, used it over night at a few state campgrounds in NJ, nobody ever complained , around $1300 on Amazon,
Yamaha generators have the longest emission engine durability ratings issued by the Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board. Gasoline petcock lets you shut off the gas to run the carb dry for storage and helps prevent stale gas problems. Fuel gauge allows fuel level to be seen at-a-glance. This model boasts High Current output which is designed specifically to increase motor starting capability and to improve air conditioner starting. This High Current model starts most high efficiency 13,500 but AC in temperatures up to 110-Degree F. The EF2400iSHC has an aluminum die-cast frame, combined with an aluminum TCI rotor and other weight-saving measures to provide a powerful and compact generator weighing only 75 pounds. The EF2400iSHC uses Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to produce high-quality electricity comparable to the power supplied by public utilities. Use this generator with confidence as a power source for microcomputer-controlled appliances and other devices with built-in computer functions. Yamaha's Smart Throttle feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match the load. The result is quiet running, maximum fuel efficiency and a run time of 8.6 hours at 1/4 capacity load. Yamaha's Oil Watch Warning System helps prevent engine damage from low oil.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chata View Post
Have Yamaha EF2400iSHC Portable Generator, it will run 13500 btu AC, however, everything else has to be off, it weights about 70 lb, very fuel efficient, fairly quiet, used it over night at a few state campgrounds in NJ, nobody ever complained , around $1300 on Amazon,
Yamaha generators have the longest emission engine durability ratings issued by the Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board. Gasoline petcock lets you shut off the gas to run the carb dry for storage and helps prevent stale gas problems. Fuel gauge allows fuel level to be seen at-a-glance. This model boasts High Current output which is designed specifically to increase motor starting capability and to improve air conditioner starting. This High Current model starts most high efficiency 13,500 but AC in temperatures up to 110-Degree F. The EF2400iSHC has an aluminum die-cast frame, combined with an aluminum TCI rotor and other weight-saving measures to provide a powerful and compact generator weighing only 75 pounds. The EF2400iSHC uses Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to produce high-quality electricity comparable to the power supplied by public utilities. Use this generator with confidence as a power source for microcomputer-controlled appliances and other devices with built-in computer functions. Yamaha's Smart Throttle feature automatically adjusts engine speed to match the load. The result is quiet running, maximum fuel efficiency and a run time of 8.6 hours at 1/4 capacity load. Yamaha's Oil Watch Warning System helps prevent engine damage from low oil.
Not sure where you live, but I had to ditch the EF2400iSHC. I live in Utah at ~4500 ft, and it would didn't have the backbone to run the A/C over 6K feet. Most of our camping is in the higher elevations just from the nature of where we live. Just something to keep in mind while doing your research.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #20

The problem with 2 smaller generators is that you are filling fuel often.
ddallison is offline   Reply With Quote