Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #1

Generator Storage

Where do you store your generators? We were thinking of installing a hitch/shelf on the back bumper but with the 100 pound limit and an 80 pound generator I'm afraid the road jiggling is going to knock off the entire back.

With installing something to go over the battery in the front I'm afraid our tongue weight is going to be too much (how do you know if it is?).

We're thinking of keeping it in one of the storage compartments but I'm worried about the fumes accumulating in the TT while we are driving.

Now my husband is thinking of installing a hitch/shelf to the front of the poor truck or having it up on top on the roof rack.
2010 Jayco G2 29BHS
cfamilygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #2

If there are fumes from it, then there is something wrong with the Genny. I carried our Honda EU2000 in the Motorhome storage for years. No fumes. Today I carry it right behind the front seat of my Ext. cab PU. Still no fumes.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfamilygo View Post
Where do you store your generators? We were thinking of installing a hitch/shelf on the back bumper but with the 100 pound limit and an 80 pound generator I'm afraid the road jiggling is going to knock off the entire back.

With installing something to go over the battery in the front I'm afraid our tongue weight is going to be too much (how do you know if it is?).

We're thinking of keeping it in one of the storage compartments but I'm worried about the fumes accumulating in the TT while we are driving.

Now my husband is thinking of installing a hitch/shelf to the front of the poor truck or having it up on top on the roof rack.
1: On the bumper, it will catch all the road grime.
2: Weigh the tongue, then you know.
3: Be careful about blocking the airflow to the truck engine.
4: Who is going to carry 80 lbs up on to a roof rack?

Tom
Old 08-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #4

Hmmm...

A couple of thoughts:
-your probably correct not to install it on the bumper - but you might be able to get away with having a shop install a hitch to the frame of the trailer & out the back for a shelf. Be careful that you don't void your warranty doing this;
-Installing something for over the tongue probably isn't the best idea - the less overall weight there the better;
-So long as the generator is kept clean & the tanks are well sealed (and, of course, you don't run it while it's stored inside, because that would be silly) the issue of fumes should be minimal. But...it is an engine and they all smell like engines eventually. I certainly wouldn't store it 'hot' either;
-If I had to choose the roof-rack or a shelf on the truck, I'd choose to place it on the front of the truck - I'm no engineer, but theoretically, extra weight over the front wheels would give you more traction...but then again, it could drastically change the behavour of your vehicle too....

to be fair, we don't have a generator or the need of one. We weekend-boondock for the most part & the battery will give us 4 days or more if we're conservative. If we swapped to two six volt batteries and installed a solar charger, we could probably extend that to 10-14 days. Now, that's no Television, no microwave - but heck, we're camping!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by altar1 View Post
If there are fumes from it, then there is something wrong with the Genny. I carried our Honda EU2000 in the Motorhome storage for years. No fumes. Today I carry it right behind the front seat of my Ext. cab PU. Still no fumes.

Tom
Tom, hate to contradict you on this but your statement seems a bit incorrect. Smelling fumes from the tank of a genny does not necessarily mean the genny has something wrong with it.

I have a 4000 Gen that I carry and it vents fumes something aweful. I cant carry it in my SUV as it would gas us out in a few hours and carrying it in the TT would just make setting up at our destination a nasty experience.

The reason it vents fumes is two fold. One the gas cap has a small vent feature built into the cap so it wont pull a suction when the gas is being depleted. Two when you go from 500 foot sea level to over 6500 foot sea level your gonna get a bit of a pressure change, guess what happens to the fumes in your tank when that happens....yep they want to escape and ruin your trip.

As to the original question. I would love to hear from anyone that has succesfully carried a 100 lbs on their TT rear end and what the solution used was. Pictures would even be better.

I have a 2007 25RKS so the storage is under the bed in the front and opens up to the inside...hence the fumes in the TT.

Regards,

NS
NetStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #6

These photos show the additional reinforcement I had added to the bumper of my Keystone Outback in order to add a storage box to carry my air compressor and other items.

My bumper is welded to the trailer frame in four places.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #7

[QUOTE=NetStalker;32031]Tom, hate to contradict you on this but your statement seems a bit incorrect. Smelling fumes from the tank of a genny does not necessarily mean the genny has something wrong with it.

I have a 4000 Gen that I carry and it vents fumes something aweful. I cant carry it in my SUV as it would gas us out in a few hours and carrying it in the TT would just make setting up at our destination a nasty experience.
[Quote]
I assumed that your genny has a valve to turn the vent off. My Honda EU2000 has such a valve. And it works. I've taken it at different altitudes and temps, and it does not vent, ever. But without such a valve, you are correct.

Tom
Old 08-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #8

here are some pics on how i mounted mine-its a 6800 watt 225lb tank! lol!
Installed a 3"x4" angle across frame rail to frame rail with a 1/4" plate welded to the front of the bumper with a 2" reciever welded to both.

built these brackets so when the gen. is not loaded the rack will flip up and i can use the reciver hitch
Old 08-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #9

We have a small Honda generator and for many years it was carried in our Prowler travel trailer when traveling or even when sitting on our river lot. We carried it in the front storage on our 5er and now we are going to carry it in the truck bed until we decide wether on not to get the rear rack for our trailer. Fumes were never a problem but in hard braking it could move forward in the trailer so we placed it next to the dinette in our Prowler. Fumes were never an issue.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #10

Have the Honda EU3000 and carry it in the back of the Jeep Commander. No issues with fumes even when full of gas and no manual valve that I'm aware of. The previous owner (very brief period) mounted a hitch receiver to the bumper to carry 2 bikes. It tore the bumper open. I'm having it welded and reinforced to at least carry bikes, but I wouldn't put the gen back there. It's 150 pounds empty.
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #11

I have a Champion 4000 watt Generator. I storage in in the bed of my Chevy 1500. I built ramps to push the generator up and in and to pull out. Works well. Took it on a 4 day boondoggle over labor day with no issues, except 4 days of gas. $$$$. Had to have A/c 24/7.
Glen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #12

2 Honda 2000is in the front of my 22FB - get gas smell pretty bad - I wish Jayco would have put a real rear bumper on the trailer - looking at a basket for the front of my truck - already have a 2" reciever up there.
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #13

Yamaha 2000 in the back of our SUV...no fumes.
Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #14

We carry our Honda 2000i in an aluminum tool box which is mounted at the front of the truck bed, in front of our fifth wheel hitch. There are no issues with fumes. I was concerned that the generator might get hot when inside the unventilated tool box in the sun, but it always feels cooler inside the tool box than anything outside the tool box in the sun.

We used to carry it in the front basement of the fifth wheel, but while the generator didn't have gasoline fumes, it sure did smell like the inside of a muffler.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:27 PM   #15

I guess it's up to the individual and how they want to store or mount there generators. Anything you mount on the back bumper will require a reinforced bumper or a specialized hitch. Not to for get if you get rearended or back into something your generator will be damaged. A front mount on your tuck, well just a pain, if you can't keep your truck in the same spot. Now there is the toung mount, well if your worried about young weight I question your tow rig. An 80 pound generator and mount is around 125lbs. The toung weight is only 625lbs on average with the generator and mount. If you run the slx or ultra light. Remember the proper distribution hitch will remove that toung weight and transfer the weight to your steer axel. My next question I have is why only a 2000. Personally I would have a 3600 and run everything with no problem. I am curious on your trailer and tow rig let me know.
Fordrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:38 PM   #16

@ Fordrock1

This is a VERY old thread. Some of the members seem to be no longer active. Starting a new thread with your question might work better.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote