Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #1

Gotta love these forums

I may be spending far to much time reading various posts here! It almost always leads to another question. Yes, it happened again. I was reading about TT storage and the subject of fridges came up. Apparently, some people place their fridges on propane and leave them on for the season. That way they are always ready to go. I imagine that once at the campground they change over to electric. My TT is stored about 275 miles from me. We go down at least once a month starting in May. Sometimes more often. Plus my children also use it some. Sometimes it is only for a long weekend, and we all know how long it takes for our fridges to cool down. It just gets there about the time you have to turn it off! Would leaving mine on propane running at the lowest setting be feasible? By lowest, I mean the warmest. If so, how much propane should I expect to use? What happens if I run out of propane while I am gone? Will the igniter (sp) keep trying to light it? It just seems like it would make things that much easier for us, if the fridge was already chilled. I have no idea whether this is a good idea or not. Your thoughts.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #2

Unless you have power to your unit in storage, your idea will not work. At some point your batteries will drain and you will not have enough juice to ignite the fridge on propane.

Our fridge stays on year round, but I have electricity in our indoor storage unit. If for some reason the power goes out, it will switch to gas, and switch back to electric when power is restored.
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #3

We are fortunate to have a place to store our 5er on our own property, and leave the electric hooked up to a dedicated 30 amp exterior receptacle. Thus the fridge stays cool all the time in the summer. However, while travelling, it runs on gas (except it gets turned off when refueling the truck) until we reach the CG. We have found that gas consumption is very low. Unless you use it for heat, one 30# tank lasts pretty much the season (fridge and occasional gas stove use), The downside to leaving it on while stored that far away would be not having someone to keep an eye on it for you. If you developed a leak, or something happened to the tank regulator, for example, the results could be really bad. A leak, with no one around to notice, might be set off by any kind of spark source nearby, for instance. As for what happens when the gas runs out, my fridge will attempt to relight about 3 times, and then shut down if unsuccessful, leaving a blinking light in the digital window. The only thing bad would be a sealed up and warm fridge, which might mildew. Bottom line, after all my ramblings, would be that the risks of leaving an unattended gas fridge to fend for itself for a long period of time would outweigh the advantages of a cold-when-you-get-there unit. In your shoes, if you can find no one who could chill it down a day before you arrive, I would just put up with a warm unit. JMHO.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #4

It takes so little time to cool down the fridge, it's shut off when not in use for us. Quite honestly, we can turn on the fridge, load it up, and within an hour it's just fine...but that's our climate up here!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMonk View Post
It takes so little time to cool down the fridge, it's shut off when not in use for us. Quite honestly, we can turn on the fridge, load it up, and within an hour it's just fine...but that's our climate up here!
WOW only one hour. I usually turn the fridge on the day before we head out and start to load it with cold items the next morning, this way everything is good and cold/frozen before we leave in the afternoon.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #6

I plug in the trailer and turn the frig on the night before I leave, by the morning it's cold and ready to be filled.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMonk View Post
Yes, its different down here in South Carolina. It is often near 100 when I walk into my TT after being pulled from storage.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote