Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #1

GPS overload

Im in the market for a new GPS to use for this year trips but it is crazy how many are on the market. I would like to stay with a Garmin. Can anyone who has purchased one recently let me know what your useing and your thoughts on it.
jonitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #2

Hi jonitza, I have a Garmin 2595 LMT and I like it a lot. There are two features that I think are outstanding - Voice recognition, and upload / download from Microsoft Streets & Trips.

There is a learning curve with voice recognition, but it's not hard. Once your comfortable with it you can accomplish about anything by talking to it. We typically ask it to find rest areas, gas stations, fast food (you can be general or specific), and all the ordinary things you seek on a trip - all hands free. Although some searches are easier by typing.

The download from Microsoft Streets & Trips is very handy. I like being able to plan a route on a full screen and then send it to the Garmin. I bought the GPS antenna that's available with that program, and never use it. I don't like having to operate a laptop in the TV (it's too big to be convenient) and I don't have blanket internet reception.

IMO GPS units (any brand) are one more example of you get what you pay for. They are all good in getting you where you want to go. The differences are the features that make it easier. Some GPS devices can double as monitors for rear view cameras with a simple plug-in. That feature is attractive to me, but I don't have it. If I ever have to replace mine, I will go with another Garmin.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the great info OnTheGo..the 2595 is on my list..looks like it has a lot of nice features..
jonitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #4

I purchased the Dezl 760 LMT and have been very satisfied with it's performance. It is a truck GPS that you can plug your dimensions, weight and hazards into to avoid certain roads under RV and truck mode. You can go back and fourth from car, RV and truck mode very easily with profiles saved for the truck and RV which I like as I take it from vehicle to vehicle. The traffic notifications are nice and lifetime updates are a must upon initial purchase. If you need to upgrade down the line it costs over $50.00 each time you do it.

It has bluetooth which works nicely with my phone as my truck does not have that feature. The mapping is good and it does not say "recalculating" anymore, just adjusts the route!

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I like my Garmin. Never leave home without it.
http://www.megagps.com/index.aspx

MegaGPS is Garmins Factory Outlet store. You can find factory refurbished and save quite a bit.
I've never had any problems with mine after 5+ years.
Definitely recommend lifetime Maps

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #6

Garmin all the way... I have the 1350 LMT (discontinued) but I love it,

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #7

Camping World has one I think it is a Garmin. It is for RV's it routes you around roads and areas that aren't RV friendly.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #8

I have a Nuvi 1690 and the Garmin Mechanic dongle. I needed one with Bluetooth in order to use the dongle and the 1690 fit the bill for a very affordable price.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:51 AM   #9

... another thought about GPS. A GOOD address is helpful when programming your GPS. But using coordinates (I get mine from a map program.) finds the un-addressed locations without the usual navigation SNAFU's. There is one state park near Cincinnati where the park office is across the lake and 15 driving miles from the CG. That's a long way off when it's late and you're alredy lost.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #10

I use Google maps set to "satellite" mode so I can literally see the campground, from there the location can be sent to your GPS. Works really well.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote