Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-09-2018, 06:26 AM   #21

I drive 60 mph with the van. I once pushed it (because the trip was getting intolerably long and my infant was crying) and went 65-70, but I to keep it in tow mode (a little more than no overdrive), but I could feel the van straining an uncomfortable amount. It also happened to be really hot at the time, maybe 105. The van handled the trailer just fine, it was the drive train I didn't want to kill. I think I could go 55-60mph towing that trailer (without any headwind and on flat ground) and not damage the Odyssey.

I don't know what the drag is on an Airstream, but even if they weigh more I could see them towing better than the 154BH because the wind resistance is the greatest load contributor above ~50 mph. I say that with confidence because I recently got better gas mileage towing my 154BH up a 6% grade at 60mph than on flat at 75mph with my Durango (same RPM and similar throttle position). The weight wasn't a problem, it was the wind drag at high speed.
walter91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:42 AM   #22

Keep in mind that the ST tires on the trailer have a 65 mph rating. Running them faster than that can cause them to heat up too much and fail.

Nothing at all wrong with towing at 60. In fact some states have lower limits on trucks and vehicles towing trailers. I know IL does. Most of us don't tow any faster than 62-63. It's safer when towing, and you can better anticipate issues when the traffic is passing you.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote