Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #1

Greasing Wheel Bearings on 2018 Jayco JayFlight 32BHDS

First off, no need to preach using the E-Z Lube versus pulling the wheel and packing by hand....this is merely packing my new trailer. I plan on pulling the wheel after this years camping trips are over and doing the full replacement by hand.

A couple of questions about the process of using the zirk to pack the bearings:

- This trailer is 2 months old. Do they pack the bearings adequately at the factory? In other words, should I add grease?

- what type of grease is used at the factory? I want to mix different types of grease so if I need to add grease, what type do I use?

- Does Jayco use the type or E-Z Lube system whereby filling using the zirk greases the back and front bearings?

Thanks
Sscheitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #2

I checked mine last year before we even took it out for the first time. I found one castle nut way too tight and one bearing way under greased. I don't have EZ Lube bearings and I'm pretty old school so I wouldn't use them. I cleaned and repacked all mine with fresh grease and I do it every year before we head out for the season.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #3

I did not grease the bearings on my trailer until the 3rd year of ownership but didn't pull it more than a few thousand miles in those years. I found the bearings over packed but maybe that's due to the Ez Lube system.

The axles are assembled by Dexter or Lippert. There should be a tag on your axles to indicate the manufacturer. Once you find that, look on their website for approved grease. YouTube has videos on using the Ez Lube system (you probably have Dexter axles). Many people don't use them because if it's not done correctly, the rear seal will be blown out.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #4

Our 5th has ez-lube and I use it. A couple of times a year I get the wheel off the ground and grease per factory recommendations. Last month I removed all 4 hubs to check things out.
The seals had been doing their job and keeping grease out of the brakes. Bearings/races were in excellent shape. I cleaned everything and re packed by hand and put it all back together with new seals. I will continue to use the ez-lube a couple of times a year.
The bearings came from our favorite foreign manufacturer as I expected and I was prepared to replace with Timken but have returned them to my spares box.
Over the 3 years we've owned it we've logged a little more than 15k.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #5

I recommend pulling the hubs, repacking with top quality bearing grease such as pennzoil 707 red. I have ez lube Dexter axles, waited two years- about 3,000 towing miles to pull my hubs. Found two outer bearings and races severely spalled, heat damages. Grease around my bearings was black. Dexter does not pre pack bearings correctly which caused mine to wear rapidly, almost causing me big problems. Also they use Chinese junk bearings. I just replaced all the bearings with timken races and bearings, Dexter seals. Even towing at 70mph, and heavy braking, my hubs run Luke warm. We are buying new 5th wheel in the fall, first thing I'm doing is pulling the hubs.

I agree with some others on here that the ez lube can cause more harm than good. Seals and grease are cheap, just pull hubs every two years, repack- cheap insurance for few hours of easy work.
Firefighter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:26 AM   #6

I just greased the EZ-lube hubs on our 2014 27.5RLTS. What I found was that apparently Dexter only greases the bearings at the factory and doesn't fill the hub with grease. Had I known this, I would have probably done this when we bought the unit. It took quite a bit of grease before it started coming out around the outer wheel bearing. This was done at approximately 12k trailer mileage.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:14 AM   #7

Geeze, you guys are scaring me. 2009 29BHS and haven't touched anything since then. Guess I better get the bearings on the to do list.
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote