Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2015, 07:14 AM   #1

Grey & Black tanks leak

Morning All: I am looking for some suggestions on how to seal leaks on my grey and black tanks.
I have a 1979 Jay Gull TT. The previous owners said they never used the black tank, and the grey tank had its usual workout on trips. Due to a work injury, the trailer sat for about 15 years unused. I needed to renovate the bunkhouse in the back after i took over ownership due to water damage (floor, floor joists and wall framing from bottom of rear window down, and paneling) We have used the trailer a handful of times since reno was done. I then turned my focus on to the water system, everything works although there's 1 faucet that needs to be replaced. The toilet works, and has always had antifreeze in it to keep seal in good condition. while I was checking water system I looked at the tanks and saw they were leaking out of some cracks. Any suggestions on how I can fix the leaks without replacing the tanks? (not in the budget). We generally try to get a spot near a bathhouse but I would like to be able to use my own.
Thanks in advance
Eric
Old 04-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #2

They make a product called Flex Seal. ( it's like a line-x product ) that they say you can spray on and it leaves a thick rubberized coating and is water proof form both sides. I would be concerned that the vibration when moving the trailer would cause it to separate, but given its age, this will probably provide a quick fix

As Seen on TV Flex Seal - Walmart.com

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
Site Team

http://www.amazon.com/Plasti-Mend-Pl...ank+repair+kit

Here is one product. I would try this this over the spray on stuff, unless you want to go fishing on a screen door as the commercial shows! LOL
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:19 AM   #4

I'd just look for a used tank if you can find one that fits, or save up for a new one. Plastic does deteriorate and like my skylight, when I got one crack, soon afterwards I had 4 cracks. I highly doubt a spray product would work, but it would be a cheap thing to try. I thought you were saying the valve was leaking, that's my problem with mine, but I'm wondering if something is caught in the valve area.
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
They make a product called Flex Seal. ( it's like a line-x product ) that they say you can spray on and it leaves a thick rubberized coating and is water proof form both sides. I would be concerned that the vibration when moving the trailer would cause it to separate, but given its age, this will probably provide a quick fix

As Seen on TV Flex Seal - Walmart.com
I work in the HVAC field. A few of the supermarkets I work at had leaks in the condensate pans in the coolers. I have used the "flex-seal" product and is just ok. Rust oleum Makes the same product and I've used that and it was far superior than the flex-seal. Just my 2 pennies.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote