Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #1

GREY Tanks

On our first camping trip with our new Jayco and I have some questions that I know someone (or many) can answer without spending much time trying this and that to figure it out for myself.
  • Does grey 1 goto the kitchen sink and grey 2 goto the bathroom sink and shower?
  • Are these two grey tanks connected so they can transfer fluids from one to the other if one of them is being used more than the other? I'm sure I'm dreaming on this one but thought I'd ask anyway.

Tanks in advance for your help on this

2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE CC Duramax/Allison
2014 Jayco Eagle 338RETS w/Equal-i-zer 14k

GO HAWKS!!
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #2

Mike,
On my Eagle266-RKS, the grey #1 is bathroom and grey #2 is kitchen. My two fresh water tanks are connected, but no such luck on the grey. According to several posts here at the JOF, the only way to "equalize" the two is to open both drain valves with your drain cap left on. Both tanks will start to dump, but won't have anywhere to go. And since water will seek its own level, water will flow back into the tank with less water in it - assuming your trailer is leveled at the time. After a few minutes, you can close the gate valves. Unfortunately, that will leave quite a bit of grey water in the drain lines, so be prepared to jump out of the way when you remove the drain cap.
Oh! And make sure you don't open the Black Tank valve by mistake!
Old 08-23-2014, 10:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Mike,
On my Eagle266-RKS, the grey #1 is bathroom and grey #2 is kitchen. My two fresh water tanks are connected, but no such luck on the grey. According to several posts here at the JOF, the only way to "equalize" the two is to open both drain valves with your drain cap left on. Both tanks will start to dump, but won't have anywhere to go. And since water will seek its own level, water will flow back into the tank with less water in it - assuming your trailer is leveled at the time. After a few minutes, you can close the gate valves. Unfortunately, that will leave quite a bit of grey water in the drain lines, so be prepared to jump out of the way when you remove the drain cap.
Oh! And make sure you don't open the Black Tank valve by mistake!
X2
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #4

Brownie,

Thanks for the response. I took a long shower and quickly found out which tank was which. The one showing full was close to it. Mine's the same as yours and the tip about "equalizing" worked well also.

Marlin

GO HAWKS!!
Old 08-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #5

If you use one of these when you want to equalize the levels between the two grey waste tanks, you can have a neater job. Just twist it onto the outlet of your trailer drain system (with the twist on valve closed) and open each grey water tank valve. The levels will equalize. When you dump your tanks, attach the hose to the outlet of the twist on valve. Dump the grey tank water only. Remove the hose and twist on valve. Reconnect the hose and dump the black tank. That way, no mess and the twist on valve is exposed to only the relatively cleaner grey water.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #6

Another GREAT idea (too late for this time though). I have one of those in storage that I had from my old trailer. It's coming aboard just as soon as I get home from camping

GO HAWKS!!
Old 09-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #7

Grey Tanks

After further review.................(and an email to Jayco)

My galley sink, bathroom sink AND shower are plumbed to Grey1. THE ONLY THING PLUMBED TO GREY2 IS THE OPTIONAL WASHER/DRYER DRAIN.

Well, just another "what were they thinkin?"

With the aformentioned Valterra valve I now have one Black tank and one big ass grey tank

Marlin

GO HAWKS!!
Old 09-10-2014, 06:42 AM   #8

We have the same setup and I use the twist on valve (closed) and open both grey tank pulls, and it works great.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinmike View Post

My galley sink, bathroom sink AND shower are plumbed to Grey1. THE ONLY THING PLUMBED TO GREY2 IS THE OPTIONAL WASHER/DRYER DRAIN.

Well, just another "what were they thinkin?"

Marlin
It might be a matter of location and the inabiltity to properly cross connect them. Also if you did install the washer and dyrer you might have been very unhappy when both tanks filled up too fast.