Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #21
Site Team

I believe I read it wrong and responded with my feelings from my last camping trip at Myrtle Beach SP where several campers were dripping their grey on the ground thru a hose.

I'll attempt to answer the op again. I usually leave my kitchen grey tank closed when camped with sewer. After a few days, I'll drain it just to help prevent accumulation in the tank.
The shower tank is open until the day before we leave. It helps wash anything out of the hoses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I believe I read it wrong and responded with my feelings from my last camping trip at Myrtle Beach SP where several campers were dripping their grey on the ground thru a hose.

I'll attempt to answer the op again. I usually leave my kitchen grey tank closed when camped with sewer. After a few days, I'll drain it just to help prevent accumulation in the tank.
The shower tank is open until the day before we leave. It helps wash anything out of the hoses.

Yeah I would be pissed if I saw people letting their grey water just dump on the ground.

My trailer has only one grey tank which unless I'm missing something only captures water from the shower, bathroom sink and kitchen sink. All of which will be soapy water.
ScarabChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #23

On a similar note. We were camping near the beach and wanted to rinse off kids with our outdoor shower. How do most use this shower? Do you use soap? We did not have sewer hookups.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #24

Just use some environmental common sense. Our pup did not have a grey tank, most don't. I would attach a hose and collect the output from the inside sink (basically hand soap and toothpaste) into a 5 gal pail and then dump that in a vault or flush toilet. BUT we generally did dishes outdoors at the camp table - always used Camp Suds (natural product) and dumped the wash water in the woods. I have also always dumped my coffee grounds in the woods (cold, not hot) - they are good fertilizer.

I would never ground dump my grey tank to the ground in a CG, at least not intentionally...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
On a similar note. We were camping near the beach and wanted to rinse off kids with our outdoor shower. How do most use this shower? Do you use soap? We did not have enough sewer hookups.

Water only. But I know people who use biodegradable soap to wash up. I honestly don't see a huge problem if you just use it to wash your hands or squirt the sand off your feet. Washing your dishes and taking full out showers? Yeah..gotta problem with that.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #26

Yes, that's what I meant. If there are places to drain it out. I was a campground nearby my home where you could do that if you wanted to, they had small drains I think where you could drain the grey water. I wouldn't just dump it whilly nilly outside my Trailer though. Just a little to keep it from completely filling if I didn't want as one poster on here put it, schleep over to the dumping station every time/
jerpil55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #27

Yes, that's what I meant.
jerpil55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #28
Site Team

I would not worry about that.

Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 08-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
On a similar note. We were camping near the beach and wanted to rinse off kids with our outdoor shower. How do most use this shower? Do you use soap? We did not have sewer hookups.

That's is my dog shower when ever he needs a bath. I try to have him on grass so no muddy feet. and yes he is well shampooed & hair conditioned

Coronado CG in NM has RV's dump gray to trees at their sites.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:07 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabChris View Post
In a big camp ground with full hook up there is a constant flow of grey and black water into the sewer system. I just don't see why it would be frowned upon to allow the grey water to trickle in as you use it versus allowing the tank to fill then dumping.

If the campground rules say you can release your grey and black water into the onsite sewer connection then I can't see any reason why they would rather 50 gallons at a time versus a little trickle as you use it.

I was just at Disney Fort Wilderness which I would consider a big campground and probably the best in the state of Florida if not the country. I rode my bike around and I look at everyone's campers and most if not all had their grey water valve in the open position. There was no smell that I could detect. Now....when I dumped my black tank of course the vent on my sewer connection released some odor. But there is no lingering odor from grey water trickling into the sewer.

If the campground is using an onsite septic system, and NOT connected to a municipal sewer system, a constant trickle into the effluent collection system is easier on the septic system than would be 200 trailers all dumping 50 gallons of grey water at once.

With a big slug of water coming at the septic tanks, the tanks will be stirred up, and the existing tank solids (black water solids) will be stirred up. The leaching field works best with clear effluent. If the leach field is dosed with effluent with too high a total suspended solids concentration, the biological (aerobic) action will be overwhelmed.

So, it's best to just leave your grey tank valve open. A trickle would be even better, but that would require management.

I get the concept of filling the grey and letting all 50 gallons go at once, but try to minimize those "flushes."

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:15 AM   #31
Site Team

You haven't lived till you and 50 other campers try and dump at the same time in some CG's that aren't sized to handle it.
Can you visualize backups?

Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 08-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
You haven't lived till you and 50 other campers try and dump at the same time in some CG's that aren't sized to handle it.
Can you visualize backups?

Sure have... at the end of our weekend trips... we leave the black and grey tanks full (or whatever level they are) and wait a couple of days once we are home to dump. The few additional days after sloshing around on the way home do a good job with the solids... and of course a full tank of grey to wash it all down.

We have a place close-by that has it all... diesel (both sides pumps), Propane and Dump station. I can take care of prepping for the next trip in less than an hour (home to back home), instead of waiting in a long line of folks taking their time at the CG Dump.
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote