Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
one thing to consider in grizzly bear country is it might have the unwanted effect of attracting a bear. they have a keen sense of smell and any food particles or soaps in the gray water can attract them. no shower enclosures are allowed in glacier park for example and the cited reason is the soap residue will attract the bears.

2000 dodge ram laramie slt,cummins, 2014 jayco eagle touring edition 28.5 rkds, 1996 scamper 065s
max2bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
Where do you think the water from your cesspool/septic tank at home is going? Into outerspace? Lol. Better tell all the animals in the woods to not pee or poop on the ground. And tell them not to die and rot on the ground. I am much more worried about shale gas fracking contaminating my water then gray water on the ground. That being said we dont know of any campground in NY that allows it and I use my portable tank and drag it to the dump station..:excited:

2013 33 RLDS
2004 Chevy Avalanche 2500 8.1
2007 TBSS
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
If campgrounds gave the OK to water the trees around your site or dump into the woods, there would probably not be that much of an impact fr places that are not heavily used.
However, if given the OK, I bet it owuld not be long until someone dumped a black tank out on the ground...
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
Where does everyone think water placed into a septic system winds up? The solids settle and are held in a tank (which eventually needs to be pumped out) while the liquid continues on into a drain field where it is dispersed into the top soil above the water table.

In many places, there is a layer of clay or rock between the aquifer and the surface water. Drinking water often comes from the deeper aquifer, but other places rely on shallow wells for residential water. What one can safely do in one place may not work elsewhere.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
I agree with TX Arvee, not long before someone pulled the wrong valve handle and oop's, lots of poops!
TCNASHVILLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
It's not a good idea. It's nice to say eco-friendly products or dishwater is fine, but that ignores a major ingredient: People. People, mostly men, pee in the shower. Lots of studies all percentages from the 30s to the 60s. And that clean dishwater? Would you use it to scrub the kitchen floor? Of course not. It's loaded with grease (that's why you use detergent), good waste, God knows what all.

Ours is a very rural county and still, we cannot legally run our washing machine or tub water on the surface. It has to go through the septic. Of course, that regulation is probably the work of one of dozens of county employees who really have nothing to do, and often spend their day looking for something to regulate. I guess they're building up their resume to land a federal job.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS
'02 F350 PSD Dually 4WD
DW's Ride, '13 Expedition
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #17
Site Team
Most every Florida state park we have been in have signs that prohibit dumping grey water, even for tent campers. They provide sinks in the bath house for washing dishes.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #18
I think its just plain ole unethical.....I wouldnt want my next door neighbors drains from his house being dumped in my front yard so why would it be allright to leave my drainwater at someone elses place?????
popjim52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #19
Site Team
Glad to see this discussion is remaining civil here. I`ve seen this subject matter get out of hand on other forums.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #20
I think the frequency and volume of dumping done at a campground would overwhelm the capacity of mother nature to process. One responsible RV'r in the middle of the woods would probably not be noticed. 200, dumping daily in a small campground would probably get nasty, calculating the idiot & accidental discharge factors.

I dumped my greywater while having to stay in Camp Driveway during home repairs into my garden area. The dry ground took all of it without any smells or ill effect.

TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote