Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #21

The only time I usually let the drain water out is at our county fair - and then most everyone does it. Of course, this is a bit different. It is for the most part only used the week of the fair so that ground will usually absorb the water rather quickly. It isn't like a normal campground where it would be a constant thing. I (and most) usually just keep the valve barely cracked so that the water trickles out really slow and is absorbed by the ground quicker than it runs out. I've never noticed any smell.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #22

I don't see what the big deal with a little soap and water on the ground as long as there is no other chemicals in it. But I do know that here in CA at some of the desert state parks you aren't allowed to dump your grey water and the ranger will come give you a ticket. This is a little odd to me because we are out in the middle I'd the desert. But rules are rules.

2008 F-150 Supercrew 2011 Jayco Jayflight 26 BH
CRoesti13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #23

California needs the money.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #24
Site Team

I was always told not to crap in my mess kit! I think it applies here somehow.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I was always told not to crap in my mess kit! I think it applies here somehow.
That's right. That's what your steel "pot" is for. The Army gave you everything you need.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #26

In Ontario, Canada at the Provincial Parks a guide I found on the internet says to dump dishwater in the vault toilets, not that I have actually seen anyone do it!
Amateur Photographer
Family History Researcher
Former Canoe Camper & Retired Airline Pilot
tjerrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #27

Best to follow CG rules whatever they are, but just don't buy the enviro issues that are all too often quoted when talking about grey water. With TT's you need to dump the grey tank after doing the black tank so you can flush out your line / hose. Have ran into problems when camping without modern facilities [showers] and have to use the shower in the TT. End up filling the grey tank real fast. As long as the grey tank is only used for the purpose intended, the only real issue is mud and soapy puddles around the site that you leave for the next guy. We manage our grey tank by not using the onboard showers when there are options at the campground. BUT we kind of do the same thing with the black tank by using the campground facilities when ever possible.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #28

Sorry to dredge up an old subject...I'm a LEO and understand the importance of following the rules, but I have to ask why?? Can someone please explain the "official" reason as to why we cannot dump gray water? I've see the hose attachment for the valve attachment and if u run. 50 ft hose off into the woods, what would be the harm. Again, ONLY dumping gray water. I have been camping in the Austin area this past week with only electric and water and have gotten good use out of my 42 gallon tote this week. I do NOT have the valve/hose attachment, but I'm very curious as to the "offiical" reason. I'm not willing to pay the $500 dollar fine for the dumping of gray water, but still curious! Thanks in advance for everyone's input!
Dan
Old 03-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #29

there may be things not enviromently friendly like dish soap ,food particles that attract critters and bears
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #30

Over years of dumping, soap and other "things" will contaminate the ground, and ground water. Eventually everything gets into ground water. You dump, it sits on the surface, then it rains, soaks in a little. Then you dump more, it rains more. etc etc etc. over time.....nothing good can come of it.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #31

Please don't take this personally, but this is the best way I know to force the point.

Please give me your address so that next time I need to dump my grey water I can dump it on your lawn..........

I sure know I wouldn't like it if someone dumped on my lawn. My campgrounds and parks are for me and my family to use and enjoy. I really don't want my kids walking and playing in everyones waste water.

Seriously, I apologize if I am sound like I am being rude, I'm really not trying to be, just trying to get a point across.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:47 PM   #32

I don't think you are being rude at all. But if l the City I live in and my HOA waters with gray water (officially called "reclaimed" or "reuse" water), I don't understand the harm. Again, I just want some sort of "official" answer so I can understand the rational. I understand what is being said, but why are City's using this water and its aloud, but not in a camp ground. I'm not being difficult, just rational.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I don't think you are being rude at all. But if l the City I live in and my HOA waters with gray water (officially called "reclaimed" or "reuse" water), I don't understand the harm. Again, I just want some sort of "official" answer so I can understand the rational. I understand what is being said, but why are City's using this water and its aloud, but not in a camp ground. I'm not being difficult, just rational.
Most likely what they are calling "grey water" is from storm sewers, not sanitary sewers. Also some cities will use "reclaimed or reused "water is water that has gone through the sewer treatment plant. Some cities actually mix this with "new" water and it is used in the public water system. Either way it is either rain water or treated sewer water. They are not dumping water directly from your sanitary system onto lawns. Actually unless your city has dual sanitary systems (highly unlikely) there would be no way to collect separate sewer and gray water. Storm sewers are separate from sanitary systems, many golf courses use that water here in Az.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:49 PM   #34

Private Land

Would it be feasible and/or appropriate to hook up a lengthy hose to the grey/black waste water pipe on the trailer and permit the grey water to flow to a place far away from the trailer where a pit has been dug?

Assume that the trailer is located in the woods on private land with no neighbors or water of any kind anywhere nearby.

If this works for the grey water, what about black water? Would it be any different than a typical private septic tank for sewage from a home? Again, assume that it is located in a very isolated place with no ground or surface water anywhere nearby.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:16 AM   #35

Many private CG and State Parks use drywells(a pit filled with rocks) for grey water disposal. We have also been in CGs that encouraged the grey water to be drained around their trees especially out West. So there can be many very differing opinons as to what is right or wrong.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:27 AM   #36

I spoke to a friend that works for the Az DNR last night. He said it is illegal to dump any water from any source (unless drinkable) on the ground in any state campground. Here grey water is defined as from showers, washers and bathroom sinks, kitchen sinks waste water is classified as sewerage. Even while boondocking, the dumping of water on the ground is not allowed. There are some areas, with very restrictive rules where you can dump grey water, but never water from a kitchen sink. He also said most of our neighboring states have similar rules. He also went on to say the EPA is trying to gain control of all surface water, even puddles from rain. Their rules would be even more restrictive than the states current rules. Bottom line, the environmentalists have been very busy and very productive at restricting any water (unless drinkable) from being dumped anywhere except in a registered dump station. Bottom line, don't dump any water anywhere. The EPA even has rules on collecting and using rainwater on your own property...

Old 03-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Over years of dumping, soap and other "things" will contaminate the ground, and ground water. Eventually everything gets into ground water. You dump, it sits on the surface, then it rains, soaks in a little. Then you dump more, it rains more. etc etc etc. over time.....nothing good can come of it.
So drain fields or leach fields dont do any of that?
Old 03-14-2015, 08:08 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
So drain fields or leach fields dont do any of that?
A leach field is only liquids, solids remain in the septic tank to be pumped out and disposed of. I would assume this is why, at least in Az and it appears many other states, have ruled kitchen sink waste as sewage not grey water. It is the food particles that seem to be the worse culprit. Reading rules for back country camping (hiking in) require all soap to be biodegradable, with very restrictive rules on how close to moving or standing water you can dump even biodegradable waste water. They make it so difficult to stay within the rules, I would not take the chance at dumping any water I can't drink.
Im not saying I agree with the rules, nor do I agree they make any common sense at all.. but what government agency ever makes common sense? If the EPA gains control you won't be able to spit without breaking the rules. Environmentalists would only be happy if people were not allowed anywhere...except them of course...

Old 03-14-2015, 08:17 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
A leach field is only liquids, solids remain in the septic tank to be pumped out and disposed of. I would assume this is why, at least in Az and it appears many other states, have ruled kitchen sink waste as sewage not grey water. It is the food particles that seem to be the worse culprit. Reading rules for back country camping (hiking in) require all soap to be biodegradable, with very restrictive rules on how close to moving or standing water you can dump even biodegradable waste water. They make it so difficult to stay within the rules, I would not take the chance at dumping any water I can't drink.
Im not saying I agree with the rules, nor do I agree they make any common sense at all.. but what government agency ever makes common sense? If the EPA gains control you won't be able to spit without breaking the rules. Environmentalists would only be happy if people were not allowed anywhere...except them of course...
Im well aware that the solids stay in the tank.

My point was the liquid going to the leach field is far nastier than grey camping liquid imo.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:27 AM   #40

Have you ever been to a campsite where the previous campers washed/rinsed dishes in tubs on a bench then dumped the gray water? My experience is a gross table, mushy soapy turf with food bits, and both day and night critters (swarming ants, bees, raccoons, etc.) enjoying the detritus (dead particulate organic material). As we say, leave your campsite cleaner than you found it!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote