Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #1

grills and camp stoves

I have it down to 3 different models and would like to know about any ones experience with these. I want something that will allow me to cook/grill both breakfast and dinner for a minimum of 5 people sometimes a couple more. It also must hook up to my quick connect. Which leads me to question #1. I want to extend it at least 20 feet from the TT. Lowes sells 10 ft extensions which simply has a threaded male connection on one end and a threaded female connection on the other. I asked the young girl working the grill area if I could connect them together so I could have 20 feet, she said yes. Can you? Where do I find the actual quick connect coupler(i guess the male end) that goes from my extension in the TT quick connect. Do I buy one of the short 4 foot ones and connect it to my extension? Are the couplers universal? On the far end that connects to the grill/camp stove, what end must I have. The guy at the local rv dealer(not my dealer) was not much help on this. Anyways, back to the original topic

First, the Weber Q220....does it have shields over the flames? Can you use a griddle on it? Is it mainly just a grill? I know IT is a Weber!

Second, the Coleman Road Trip LXX Grill (http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-200001...GH10CG38NW)How is it at actual grilling? Are there shields over the flames? Is it mainly a stove or a grill?

Third, the Camp Chef Sports Grill MVP (www.campchef.com/sport-grill-mvp.html) the largest and most btu of the 3, but is it mainly a stove? It has 100 more sq inches of cooking space. I believe it is fairly new as I can find no reviews and little mention of it.

thanks in advance for your input.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #2

I have the Weber Q220....really like it.....no, it doesn't have a shield over the flames. I used one of those 10' extensions to connect with the trailer set up. If I remember right....the propane guy just undid a fitting that attached the hose to the original stove and the new extension just screwed into the fitting that was left on the original hose. The original quick release that attaches to the trailer was left as it was.
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #3

We have the coleman LXE (like the LXX but with plastic pull outs, not steel...we've not had any trouble with the plastic, but steel would definitely be better).
We like it for the versatility in preparing meals. It isn't real large, but it has removable pieces for whatever you want to cook. You can have two grills (which it comes with) or you can replace one grill with a griddle (for pancakes, etc) so you can grill on one side and griddle on the other. Or you can replace both grills with one large griddle (making pancakes for a larger group), or you can replace one grill with a burner top (for brewing a pot of coffee, using a frypan, or making soup in a stock pot). Of course all of these different tops have to be purchased separately for more $. The LXX seems pricey at nearly $200. The cheapest LXE I've seen was around $100, but mostly you can find them on sale for around $130-140.

We like the fact that the whole system folds up for storage, and it can be wheeled around to where you want it. We use the small propane bottles, and I've not heard of anyone tapping into their low pressure external quick connect on the side of their RV, although I'm sure someone's figured out how to do that. You could certainly tee off of your main propane bottle with a little plumbing.

The Coleman LXE is not without its problems. It would be nice to have a better way of leveling it - now we just use shims under the wheels/legs. Also it isn't very wind resistant and a moderate wind can mess up your cooking time. The grills definitely have hot spots just above the burners, but once you realize that, you can deal with it pretty easily. We bought the storage bag and generally like it, but you have to pull the handle off to store the grill in the bag. The bag does have pockets for storing the extra griddles and grates, which is nice.

I've seen some reviews on Amazon that claim that the material is cheap, but we've found it to be pretty good. Before we bought ours, we saw a lot of them being used by RVers and actually asked the people who were using them what their verdict was. Nearly all said they were very pleased.

To answer your specific questions: Underneath the grill grates, there are two burners that are nearly the same as the burners that you have on the stove inside your camper, or gas burners on your home stove. This is what leads to the hot spots on the grill. So does the Coleman deliver a grilled steak like my 25 year old weber kettle charcoal BBQ? No. But it does an acceptable job, and my Weber kettle can't make pancakes, coffee and soup. I don't have any experience with the other grills, so can't compare the Coleman with those, but we are pretty happy with it.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #4

I have the Coleman grill, the blue one, I like it because its easy to clean and store. You add water to a try under the burners and the grease drips into the tray, empty the dirty water when your done and your ready to fold it up and put it away. I tried to connect it to the quick connect on my Jayco Trailer but the trailer has a regulator on it and so does the grill so it wouldn't work, You can connect it straight to the propane tank but I just buy the little green propane bottles and use that,
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ill-blue/35188

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #5

I have the red Coleman and I really like it. It's just getting use to adjusting the flame(s) depending on which meat you cook. It is very fast and convenient. I bought a hose to use with the extra propane tank that I usually carry on trips. This is much more economical than the small tanks. However, the hose did go bad once and luckily I had a couple of small tanks with me.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #6

the weber 220 makes a griddle that goes on top to make breakfast, pancakes, eggs, etc... I just bought it but haven't used it yet. Still having trouble with the connections to the quick connect. My dealer was no help on this because they say Jayco does not recommend it.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rall1216 View Post
I have the red Coleman and I really like it. It's just getting use to adjusting the flame(s) depending on which meat you cook. It is very fast and convenient. I bought a hose to use with the extra propane tank that I usually carry on trips. This is much more economical than the small tanks. However, the hose did go bad once and luckily I had a couple of small tanks with me.
If you can hook an extra propane tank to it, what would be the difference between hooking it up to our quick connect? Jayco put a quick connect on our TT's, but from what I see, the quick connect doesn't get the use it should!

Old 08-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #8

I have the coleman and hate it. Probably the way I cook, do a lot of barbaque. A lot of the grate is solid vs having slits and it just does not work for me and cleanup is a lot of work. I'm moving to the Weber soon, my home gas grill is a Weber and I love it.
Sold: 1992 Coleman Pop-up
Sold: Many Tents, All Sizes.....
bbapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
If you can hook an extra propane tank to it, what would be the difference between hooking it up to our quick connect? Jayco put a quick connect on our TT's, but from what I see, the quick connect doesn't get the use it should!
Depends upon where you are talking about hooking it up. If you are talking about hooking up to the propane line that comes from underneath or to the rear of your trailer (installed there for an RVQ or some other bbq grill that attaches/hangs on the side of your camper) You cannot hook up to that, since it has already gone through the regulator on your RV and you have another regulator on your Coleman...it will either not work, or you won't have adequate heat to cook properly.

If you are talking about teeing off of your RV propane bottles themselves (before they go through your RV regulator) then you should be able to do that with no problem. As I've mentioned before, I'm sure there are some folks out in forum-land that have figured out how to make the Coleman work with the quick connect, but I've not, so can't help you there.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #10

My conclusion thus far from this thread, other threads and hours on the internet.

1. The Coleman may or may not hook up to the quick connect. Apparently some people have got some models to work. Cooks breakfast well, but lacks some in grilling. Price is near the lowest and it does put out some BTU's. No flavorizing bars. The least expensive.

2. The Weber. Hard to find any one with something bad to say. Probably the easiest (but not easy) to get hooked up to quick connect. Great grill, not so good for breakfast with a griddle. Have heard that the lack of flavorizing bars allows dripping to get into burner and clog it. The most expensive. 200 bucks for the Q200, another $50 for the stand and another $50 for the griddle. The most expensive.

3. The Camp Chef. So new it is hard to find much on. Once again no flavor bars. High BTU numbers. States it is set up for small propane bottles, but you can purchase an adapter that
will allow hook up to a larger tank. Not sure if it is a high pressure or low pressure unit. I have emailed Camp Chef in an attempt to find out more. If it is low pressure, I may be able to make it work with a quick connect. (there are no propane dealers near me, so I am on my own with hoses and adapters). Has the largest cooking surface and is a stove as well. Many accessories available. In order to compare apples to apples I would need to add their griddle at around $50. Right in the middle on price.

Why the lack of flavor bars on portable units. Isn't that where most of the flavor comes from? All my home grills have always had them. Guess I will do a search for ones with the bars. At this point I will wait to hear from Camp Chef. Then again, I still have the $25 charcoal grill that I bought at Walmart 4 years ago and transfered from my old Wildwood to my new TT.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #11

I found a portable gas grill that has flavor bars in it. Not sure how it will work for breakfast items, but from what I have read it gets pretty hot. Works off of the 1# propane bottles, but states it is adaptable to larger tanks. As I said earlier, I want to have mine about 20 feet from the TT. Here is a couple of links that I located, including a fairly detailed diagram of the grill. Do you think that this set-up will work with our quick connect system?

quick connect hook-up http://caloreequipment.com/products/...onnection.html
grill diagram http://www.broilkingbbq.com/manuals/...Rev_B_1209.pdf
grill info http://www.broilkingbbq.com/grills/p...ta-chef-s.html

Old 08-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
I don't know about others but my quick connect is AFTER the regulator on the fiver. This is a low pressure connection. That is why most people don't mess with it due to the fact you have to either buy a low pressure grill or modify an existing grill to accommodate the low pressure connection.

I have an older gas kettle grill that I have had for ages. When I got the first RV that had a quick connect after the regulator I took the old grill to the local RV dealer and he said that I could not do what I wanted to do. BUT he had a low pressure grill that he would sell me for $100+. I passed. I finally found a local propane dealer that knew what to do. There was a hose between the burner and the regulator. I had him to split the hose in the middle and then he crimped threaded fittings on both ends for me. Then I found the correct male fittings to connect it all to a 15' hose that I bought at Tractor Supply. Like many I thought that the fittings are universal. Anyone want to buy a quick connect that doesn't work on the Jayco connection? *Grin* Needless to say you have to find the right fittings. The reason that I had fittings put on both ends of the cut hose was so I could reconnect the regulator if I ever wanted to use a stand alone tank. Grand total at propane dealer...$6.

Works the same as if it was attached to a stand alone through the regulator attached. Another thing to keep in mind is that the pressure from the Jayco is 11" water column. You just need to make sure that the grill regulator is the same.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #13

While it's not mentioned ,we use the RVQII, great grill, attaches to the tt with about a foot of space between it and the tt. The grate side, while solid with ridges, is tilted to the rear so the grease flows to the catch can mounted on the back. i use a small pce of wood from the pile to clean between the ridges while still warm. It also has an adaquit size grill for eggs, pancakes etc. Just my $.02 Larry
Old 08-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rall1216 View Post
Where did you get the hose?
The hose I got attached to where the bottle attached on the grill, which was before the regulator, I could not find one that had the same end to connect to the grill to by pass the regulator on the grill. So with the regulator on the trailer and the regulator on the grill I couldn't get enough fuel to light a flame.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #15

I got the hose at Academy. One end has the same connector as the small bottle which connects to the regulator on the grill. The other end connects to an extra propane tank. I never tried to find a quick connect to use with the trailer connection due to the two regulator problem you refer to.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #16

I bought a Weber 200, removed the regulator and then bought a quick connect 10' hose from a rv dealership. I took the hose and the BBQ valve with me to several hardware stores in order to get the right fittings to make everything fit. Once I had all the fittings I then purchased a 15' hose and a 5' hose with a quick connect fitting. I attached the 5' hose permanately to the BBQ and attaced a quick connect fitting to the end. Now when I hook it up to my camper I have the option to use different length hoses depending on how close I want to have the BBQ to the TT.
I liked the idea that I did not to have haul around the small propane bottles that I did the same conversion to a single burner stove. Now when we steam lobsters or boil a big pot of water for spaghetti or corn we can do it outside and not steam up the inside of the TT.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #17

I've got one of these. It is a great gill. The clean up is super easy, it the grill has grates in it so you are cooking with flame, it comes with a flat griddle for pancakes, you also have a stove on the side.

It is small, yet easily cooks enough for 5 people. It fits on any picnic table or other table. I have a Coleman Paul JR grill Roadtrip... Hate it. I like the idea of the WeberQ, because it is a nice grill, but you are limited in its ability. I have a small aluminum table that I bought at WalMart for $20 that fits perfect under it, although lately I have just been using the picnic table.

I would buy this little Coleman grill 2 or 3 more times.

X

http://www.coleman.com/product/perfe...8#.UCG1I2t5mSM

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #18

I've got the red Coleman Roadtrip and love it. It folds flat and will store in the front pass through storage on my 32TSBH. I clean it at the end of every trip and its a price of cake. I bought a neat hose at Camping World that is an adapter that connects between one of my propaneto tanks in front and the hose on the TT, it allows me to screw in a 10-15 foot hose, route it out the top access door of the propane tank cover and screw it to the grill. IMO the best of both worlds - don't need to use small bottles and don't need to carry an extra bulk tank. I wouldn't want to grill under the awning as it seems to trap smoke, and any time you open the TT door it funnel it right in. If you try to use a longer hose, be aware of the potential tripping of people in the high traffic area under the awning where the low pressure disconnect is. I set my grill up right near the hitch, close enough to people to socialize, but not a risk for the kids to run into.

They sell half and whole griddle attachments, but I haven't used them. I will admit to making the transition to an electric griddle - easier to control heat and I don't have to use propane.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #19

Interesting conversation, I have used a Brinkmann table top grill for the past 2 years, tried to look up the model, and it isn't made any more. It has plenty of heat and cleans easily. Friends have Webers and like them.

I use a 20# bottle with a distribution tree. Gas grille, a 3 burner Coleman stove, the 3rd burner is a jet! Larger flame for large kettles of corn, and seafood. And a lantern on top of the tree. We use a flat griddle on the Coleman if needed.
Gives a lot of flexability.

About the only time we use the cooktop in the trailer is for coffee.
Bob in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #20

I have the coleman road trip which has been a great grill for me in the boiling, skillet and some grilling applications. While in my local Sam's club yesterday they had a portable table top SS grill with flavorizer bars and rated at 20,000 BTU. It could be easily adapted to quick connect based on the way the regulator was connected with regualtion for heat on the face of the unit. The entire thing was SS including the grates. All for $99.00 bucks. I would have bought this thing in a minute if I didn't already have 2 with the side RVQ and Coleman. I even thought about getting it for a backup beacuse you know it won't be there when I do need it.

The only downside I sawa was that you needed to place it on a table top which would need to be fireproof. Coleman comes with it already and Webber you can buy it.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote