Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2011, 12:59 AM   #1

Guess the damage...

We had a tire blow out on a trip from Nashville to Mammoth Cave, KY late in the summer. Luckily, no other issues, not even close to loosing control, etc - just the pain in the butt of changing a tire, and of cource the damage below. The tires were the standard Goodyears from Jayco, 3 years old with good tread life, no visible damage, and were all within 1 PSI of the reccomended pressure before we left. I am guessing I hit something that caused pressure loss during the drive (about an hour and a half into the trip).

Anyway, since the damage was just cosmetice, and we moved shortly after the trip, I am just getting around to having it fixed now. I dropped the trailer off on Monday, and should be getting the quote back any day now. I thought we could all play a "closest to the pin" game and see what this'll run.

Here are the pictures:

I guess I am expected about $2.5k, but really have know idea as this is the first damage I have had to any of my campers.

Anyone else want to play?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:00 AM   #2

And one more shot:

And a few of the tire, just for fun:

Also, note there is some bending on the rear (bathroom) door.

If it matters to anyones suggestion - the unit is a 2009 32 BHDS.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Site Team

My guess is $4k.

You may have a claim with Goodyear tire if you pursue it. They are pretty good about paying for damage if it can be linked to tire failure and not a road hazard.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
My guess is $4k.

You may have a claim with Goodyear tire if you pursue it. They are pretty good about paying for damage if it can be linked to tire failure and not a road hazard.
And you were not going faster than 65. That is what the Goodyear RV Trailer tires are rated for.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #5

I am not an expert but that shure looks like a belt failure.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #6

Another good reason for tire pressure monitors. I blew one and it took out the wheel well into the trailer.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flytyer View Post
I am not an expert but that shure looks like a belt failure.
Agree. Be sure to save the tire and then call Goodyear for filing a claim.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #8

Haven't even had any luck finiding a number to call Goodyear, and have had a number of people tell me that would just claim it was caused by a road hazard anyway. Anyone got a number and I can give it a shot?
Old 12-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
Site Team

800-321-2136 is customer service
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 12-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #10

The number that I received for tire failure claims was 1-800-322-4682. They use to require two estimates. Have not had to file a claim myself but this was the information posted on another forum.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #11

Wow, sorry to see the carnage. I will estimate $3650.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #12

Ouch....yeah that sure looks like a tire failure but I am no expert.....

On a happy note - how was did you like Mammoth Cave? We stated at Nolin Lake last year and visited the cave over several days - really nice up there.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #13

The cave was great - stayed at the KOA with the waterslide - the kids loved it! Very nice running trails in Mammoth cave.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #14

Sorry for the delay - the estimate came back at about $2,600 - however there is some good news. Someone passed along the Customer contact info for Goodyear and I sent them some pictures. They asked for a repair quote and made arrangements withthe dealer to ship the tire back. Within a few days of the tire shipping Goodyear contacted me and offered to pay all of the damages and replace the tire. IMO, pretty darn good customer service.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #15

WOW Good news. You don't often here of customer service like that.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger431 View Post
Sorry for the delay - the estimate came back at about $2,600 - however there is some good news. Someone passed along the Customer contact info for Goodyear and I sent them some pictures. They asked for a repair quote and made arrangements withthe dealer to ship the tire back. Within a few days of the tire shipping Goodyear contacted me and offered to pay all of the damages and replace the tire. IMO, pretty darn good customer service.
Great news. Goodyear is the only one I have experienced that will stand behind their product. There are 2 numbers that were listed on this thread and I have heard that Goodyear has one dept for tire warranty and another for damage claims. If you can, please post the numbers, it may help reduce someone's frustration in the future.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #17

Great news about Good Year stepping up to the plate, but I can't help but wonder if it wasn't a road hazard. I have been towing tandem axle trailers for many years and have had numerous flats. Most of these trailers haven been either equipment trailers, boat trailers, etc. I have not had a flat on an RV yet, but each and every flat I have had has been on the right rear tire. This is various trailer types, numerous tire manufacturers, different tire sizes and load ranges, some trailers heavily loaded and some loaded lightly. My theory is that the right side tires are closest to the side of the road where most of the roadway debris is and if the driver lets the trailer get a little closer than we would like, the front tire rolls over something, kicking it up and the back tire gets it. The last time this happened to me it was an ice pick that I never even saw as I went by. With the rear tire now being flat it doesn't take any time until it over heats and starts falling apart. The treat being the first to go and since the tire is evenly hot all the way around all of the tread lets go. After that there is nothing to protect the belts from the roadway and they start to disintegrate.
I have never had a pressure monitoring system, but I'm leaning heavily that way. That way I can stop before a tire that is just flat over heats and falls apart causing the damage. I just don't believe all of these tire problems are bad tires.

I'm sure not trying to throw stones here at anyone, but just throwing another opinion out. YMMV

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #18

How old was the tire? I have the same ones on my 08 Jayco, they are about 5 years old but have very little mileage on them. I was going to change them in March but now I might do it sooner.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #19

Very nice to hear someone stepping up and taking responsibility.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #20

I'll try to answer the questions above:

1) The contact info I used for Goodyear were: Product Liability Claims Team 1-800-322-4682 the other number I have, which I didn't need was Customer Assistance Center 1-800-321-2136

2) I don't believe it was a road hazard only because Goodyear had the tire shipped to them for analysis, and then concluded they would pay the damages. Granted, they could have decided to pay just to make the issue "go away", but it's a pretty decent chunk of change. Of course they didn't tell me what was wrong with the tire, nor do I expect them to. But I cannot say with 100% certainty that it couldn't have been.

3) The tire was the one that came on the trailer when I bought it new. I owned the trailer for 2.5 years before the blowout. I do not have the date code of the tires however - it is about 30 minutes away being repaired.

4) I would surely replace tires at the 5 year mark - whether they show age or not. I will likely replace my other 4 tires very soon - they don't show any age or wear issues, but I am not going to take any chances. I inspected the tires before every trip and always checked air pressure as well - there were no visible signs this was going to happen. note - I will admit I didn't crawl under and inspect the "inside of the tires" before this trip. I do that time to time, but generally just look at the "inside" from the opposite side.

5) I too am very pleased with Goodyear customer service - they were great to deal with - very fast and professional. Unfortunately, during my investigation and research I saw way too many issues with their Marathon (trailer tires) since they moved production to China to allow me to buy another set. Were they made in the USA with a better reputation of quality and I would be their biggest fan right now.