Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Detroit
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
Pretty sure the 1091# number assumes a 150# driver and a full tank of gas.

You can check it easily enough. Fill the tank and take the truck to a scale.

Your max payload = 7200# GVWR - (scale wt)
x2 ... Page 4 of the Ford spec sheet shows standard payload to be 1,900# with max tow package; 1,520# without the package; 1,300# for Limited package (more options minus the tow package = less payload).

2014_F150_Specs
__________________

__________________
2005 Ford Excursion 6.8L, 3.73
2016 Eagle 324BHTS, P3, PP 3P

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #12
BCK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Nanaimo
Posts: 247
x2 on dmward's comment. The max-tow package comes with the 3.73 rear end.
__________________

__________________
2016 Jayflight 26BHS Elite
2014 F150 4x4 Super Crew, Eco-Boost, Max Tow
Bayliner Trophy 2002ff
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mid-Mi
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
Pretty sure the 1091# number assumes a 150# driver and a full tank of gas.

You can check it easily enough. Fill the tank and take the truck to a scale.

Your max payload = 7200# GVWR - (scale wt)
From what I understand, the 150# driver weight is NOT included in the yellow payload sticker. If you read how it is worded, it states "ALL OCCUPANTS and cargo...". The driver is an occupant of the vehicle. Could be wrong though.

Concerning a full tank of fuel, I have not been able to confirm or deny this.
__________________
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
ttavasc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
From what I understand, the 150# driver weight is NOT included in the yellow payload sticker. If you read how it is worded, it states "ALL OCCUPANTS and cargo...". The driver is an occupant of the vehicle. Could be wrong though.

Concerning a full tank of fuel, I have not been able to confirm or deny this.
I believe it is correct that 150# driver is not included on the yellow door sticker, nor is additional fuel over the standard tank size. When I initially weighed my RAM with just full fuel the payload listed on the door matched when I subtracted myself plus additional gallons of fuel over the standard size tank from the scale weight.
__________________
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition
TV: 2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn CC, 5.7L Hemi, 8-spd, 3.21LSD, Factory Air Ride/Tow Pkg, Andersen WD/SC
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
dmward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
From what I understand, the 150# driver weight is NOT included in the yellow payload sticker. If you read how it is worded, it states "ALL OCCUPANTS and cargo...". The driver is an occupant of the vehicle. Could be wrong though.



Concerning a full tank of fuel, I have not been able to confirm or deny this.


I would think that if you're considering whether the weight of fuel will affect towing, then you are probably too close to your limit
__________________
-Derek

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
JetTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Swanton
Posts: 103
I ran into this with a brand new Ram 2500 with the Cummins. Their own website showed the payload as only concerning "cargo and contents in the bed of the truck, plus the weight of any trailer tongue weight". Unfortunately, it didn't mention that it included the weight of the six occupants as well. That info was posted in their tech specs on a different site. The dealer didn't advise me either, even though he knew what I was intending to tow, a North Point fifth wheel that would have been pushing the limits on its own. Ultimately, I had to trade in a one month old truck for a 3500 with more payload capacity.

Everybody, myself included, thought the 2500 would have towed without issue, however, the decision came down to if our insurance would pay if there was an accident, as we would have been technically overloaded. That was a risk we simply weren't willing to assume.
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Memphis
Posts: 163
Thanks for all the replies. This discussion has been very helpful. Interesting, and confusing, depending on where you look you can get a variety of payload capacities and towing capacities. I've looked at the official Ford towing guide and another more detailed spec sheet they publish, and the door sticker. Different numbers. I wish I could verify if I have the max tow package, it does make a difference. I had read somewhere that if I have the integrated trailer brake controller, tow option in the transmission and the 7 pin connector that I have the max towing package. Not sure. I just find it very hard to believe that the max payload capacity for a truck like mine could be only 1,091lbs. Nowhere in any of the towing guides or Ford spec sheets for my truck do I find a number this low. Just the difference between the curb weight of the truck and the GVWR on the sticker on the door shows a 1,500lb difference. I will investigate a bit more and see if I can get some insight from Ford dealer on what I really have.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
JetTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Swanton
Posts: 103
Also, it wasn't the towing capacity that got us, it was the payload. We were under tow capacity by a few thousand pounds, but over on payload by the weight of however many passengers we were willing to load up. Simply wasn't worth the risk, and it hurt like crazy to pay the dealer close to $7k to upgrade/trade-up, but we're within all specs now.
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
JetTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Swanton
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
Thanks for all the replies. This discussion has been very helpful. Interesting, and confusing, depending on where you look you can get a variety of payload capacities and towing capacities. I've looked at the official Ford towing guide and another more detailed spec sheet they publish, and the door sticker. Different numbers. I wish I could verify if I have the max tow package, it does make a difference. I had read somewhere that if I have the integrated trailer brake controller, tow option in the transmission and the 7 pin connector that I have the max towing package. Not sure. I just find it very hard to believe that the max payload capacity for a truck like mine could be only 1,091lbs. Nowhere in any of the towing guides or Ford spec sheets for my truck do I find a number this low. Just the difference between the curb weight of the truck and the GVWR on the sticker on the door shows a 1,500lb difference. I will investigate a bit more and see if I can get some insight from Ford dealer on what I really have.
There should be a way to enter Ford's VIN number and pull up a window sticker or an option sheet. Dodge has that, but maybe it's unique?

For reference to your numbers, my Ram 2500 with a Cummins Turbo Diesel only had 2400 pounds of available payload. Moving up to the 3500 Dually raised me up to over 5000 pounds. But I'm towing a big fifth wheel, and while the truck is a beast, we feel much safer falling within specs, and have no reason to believe our insurance wouldn't cover us should something happen, Heaven forbid!
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Detroit
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
Thanks for all the replies. This discussion has been very helpful. Interesting, and confusing, depending on where you look you can get a variety of payload capacities and towing capacities. I've looked at the official Ford towing guide and another more detailed spec sheet they publish, and the door sticker. Different numbers. I wish I could verify if I have the max tow package, it does make a difference. I had read somewhere that if I have the integrated trailer brake controller, tow option in the transmission and the 7 pin connector that I have the max towing package. Not sure. I just find it very hard to believe that the max payload capacity for a truck like mine could be only 1,091lbs. Nowhere in any of the towing guides or Ford spec sheets for my truck do I find a number this low. Just the difference between the curb weight of the truck and the GVWR on the sticker on the door shows a 1,500lb difference. I will investigate a bit more and see if I can get some insight from Ford dealer on what I really have.
I'm pretty sure you do not have the tow package, since you have 3.31 gears. But the tow package is not what changes payload capacity. Your available payload is 7,200# (GVWR) less what it weighs on a scale. Ford did offer a heavy duty payload package, but you definitely don't have that, since it comes with 17" wheels and 3.73 gears.
__________________

__________________
2005 Ford Excursion 6.8L, 3.73
2016 Eagle 324BHTS, P3, PP 3P

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.