Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #21

suzhou,

The good news is Ford includes a full tank of fuel when calculating their base vehicle weight. Check out this link:

http://www.fsford.net/load_limit-151.html

The bad news is it doesn't matter if you have the Max Tow Package or not. The b-pillar sticker is telling you that the GVWR is 7200lbs and that the payload of the vehicle is 1091 pounds. IF your tongue weight is 800lbs, you only have 291 pounds to cover driver, passengers and any miscellaneous items that you put in the TV.

You really should get to a scale to find out your true tongue weight.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but your better safe than sorry.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #22

Thanks again. Not sure where I go from here. I weighed the TT tongue weight with a shearline tongue scale I purchased. Did it several times to be sure. Consistent at 800lbs with not much in the trailer, which is where I expected it to be. Couple of ideas that may or may not work until I can get to a set of scales to weigh my truck. Would it be close to accurate to put my shearline scale on the end of my hydraulic floor jack and just barely lift each wheel off the ground and read the scale. My gut is that the sum of each of the four wheels would give me my total. It fits on the end of my floor jack and if I just barely get each tire off the ground it seems reasonable that I would get an accurate or at least close to accurate reading. You think?? If in the end I am really sitting at only 1,091lb of payload capacity then #%@&!. All I read and looked at seemed fine. The LOWEST payload number I can find in their spec sheets for my truck is 1,520lb. Did not think to look at the darn sticker in the door. They (Ford) don't make this simple, and I tried to pay attention to the charts and specs they publish. Is it even possible to add different springs, lifts, etc to the truck to increase the capacity? If so it would be cheaper than trading in my relatively new (to me) truck... That said, I want to be safe!
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #23

I'm not that mechanically inclined but you may want to consider trading it in for a truck with more payload, rather than spending money on modifications that may or may not help.

Kind of sucks! But truck shopping is fun too [emoji6]

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #24

GVWR , GCWR - confused

I didn't have time to read every reply so I maybe repeating things. Advertised payload is just the max payload a truck could have. Typically that means low options. A platinum is a heavy F-150 due to all the factory options (power running boards, cooled seats, sunroof, etc.) We bought a 2014 platinum 2 years ago and I searched across Canada and all the standard platinums ranged from 1050-1100ish payload about. I discovered that MaxTow got you another 400ish pounds of payload so I hunted for one of those and got one with just over 1500 payload (they ranged from 1475-1575 for the dozen or so I got numbers for).

If you have the 3.31 axle, you don't have MaxTow; MaxTow changes it to 3.73 (on the platinum eco-boost model at least. I won't speak for other models)

Payload includes a tank of gas and all factory options on the vehicle. It does not include driver or passengers, any dealer or owner installed options or cargo.

As far as I know, you can't change the payload capacity of a vehicle. All the add ons are for comfort and handling.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:13 PM   #25

As I mentioned, Ford does offer a Heavy Duty Payload Package option, which is the only way to increase payload. This includes E-rated tires, 7-lug wheels (which I assume means upgraded axles), HD shocks, upgraded springs, radiator, and trans cooler, and 3.73 gears. Way too much to spend to increase the payload by 1,000#.

And as I mentioned, the lowest payload published by them for your truck (4x4 super crew, short wheel base, ecoboost with 3.31 gears) is 1,300#, which is the Lariat model. The Platinum probably has a few more options, which means additional weight and less payload capacity.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #26

And the Heavy Duty payload package wasn't even available on the Platinum. MaxTow was the only option for increased payload.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #27

The HD packaged F150's had 7 lug hubs up through 2014. When the all aluminum trucks came out in 2015, the HD package trucks only had 6 lugs.

It's also my understanding Ford did not build any HD package trucks in 2015 even though that option was in the books. I further understand Ford did build a few 2016 model year HD package trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
As I mentioned, Ford does offer a Heavy Duty Payload Package option, which is the only way to increase payload. This includes E-rated tires, 7-lug wheels (which I assume means upgraded axles), HD shocks, upgraded springs, radiator, and trans cooler, and 3.73 gears. Way too much to spend to increase the payload by 1,000#.

And as I mentioned, the lowest payload published by them for your truck (4x4 super crew, short wheel base, ecoboost with 3.31 gears) is 1,300#, which is the Lariat model. The Platinum probably has a few more options, which means additional weight and less payload capacity.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #28

Maybe too much to spend, but I wouldn't say "way too much". The HD pkg was $1,695 more on my 2014 truck. I ended up with 2286# cargo capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
Old 07-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #29

Maybe a dumb question but perhaps significant in my decision. The TT tongue weight of 800lb was from using my shearline scale, not when it's connected to the TV. Doesn't the WD hitch transfer some of the tongue weight back onto the trailer? Is the entire 800lb transferred to the TV or only a portion of it? Don't want to split hairs but, we travel light and the TV will in almost all cases have me, my wife, our small dog and a few very light items in the bed of the truck and not much in the trailer. I know the real answer here is to get my rig to a set of scales. The facts seem clear but, if my weights turn out to be within specs with a good estimate on added weight then I might be ok. If not and my assumptions are wrong then guess I'm in the market for a new truck...
Old 07-19-2016, 07:50 PM   #30

Suz,

Yes, the wdh does transfer a little bit of the tw to the tt axles. The biggest two ratings to watch if you are that close to the GVWR of your truck are the rear axle rating, and the truck's receiver hitch rating. The receiver rating is based on the actual tw, as you measure it with the scale under the coupler. Not the weight on the truck after the wdh bars are hooked up.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
I would think that if you're considering whether the weight of fuel will affect towing, then you are probably too close to your limit [emoji3]
Just need to skip making the fast food meal a large size!!! Lol

But yes, I totally agree that if one is worried about the weight of the fuel then they need to upgrade the tv.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
Maybe a dumb question but perhaps significant in my decision. The TT tongue weight of 800lb was from using my shearline scale, not when it's connected to the TV. Doesn't the WD hitch transfer some of the tongue weight back onto the trailer? Is the entire 800lb transferred to the TV or only a portion of it? Don't want to split hairs but, we travel light and the TV will in almost all cases have me, my wife, our small dog and a few very light items in the bed of the truck and not much in the trailer. I know the real answer here is to get my rig to a set of scales. The facts seem clear but, if my weights turn out to be within specs with a good estimate on added weight then I might be ok. If not and my assumptions are wrong then guess I'm in the market for a new truck...
While the load is transferred, the tongue weight doesn't change. If your tongue weight is 800#, then you subtract 800# off your payload. https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/14265335.cfm

We've got the same truck as you, but with the MaxTow package. And we also have a close to 800 pound tongue weight, I think we usually run 775. We carry more people than you, 4 or 5. 4 of us weight 365# total, the 5 of us weigh 485#.

The bed has a cover on it and a bed rug in the bed, and those are our only added accessories. We usually put our Weber Q200 in the bed, some boogie boards, and other beach types toys. Not much is all that heavy. With the 5 of us, we are pretty much at our gross RAWR and pretty much at payload. With the 4 of us, we have a bit of wiggle room, but not much. And those 2 kids are still growing so we need that wiggle room for when they are bigger (and the 3rd kid who is already an adult will likely be taking her own vehicle to meet us at that time if she comes at all ).

You should have seen me when buying the truck and telling the sales guy he had to find us one with MaxTow. He's saying, "your trailer only weighs 5500#! We have guys towing 9000 pound trailers with that truck! Your tongue weight isn't included in the payload, you'll be fine!". Needless to say, he did a poor job of finding us a truck with MaxTow, so we drove 5 hours to another city and bought one and saved another $1500 which covered our gas there and back and more.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #33

My salesman did a good job finding a truck for me. I was looking for a truck with the HD pkg. Those things were as scarce as hen's teeth in 2014. He knew I wasn't going to trade unless the new truck was a HD type. He finally found a total of 5 up in PA. I live in central Virginia.

And the best part is I didn't have to go anywhere to get the best deal. SIL works at Ford Motor in Dearborn so I get the family A plan. No hassles. Same price at any Ford dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post

You should have seen me when buying the truck and telling the sales guy he had to find us one with MaxTow. He's saying, "your trailer only weighs 5500#! We have guys towing 9000 pound trailers with that truck! Your tongue weight isn't included in the payload, you'll be fine!". Needless to say, he did a poor job of finding us a truck with MaxTow, so we drove 5 hours to another city and bought one and saved another $1500 which covered our gas there and back and more.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:05 AM   #34

Many thanks to all of you that pitched in with info to help me here. Lots of great insight and experience. Your help here likely saved us from a serious incident while traveling. My path seems clear now. I can't operate safely with what I have. Going to start the hunt today for an F250.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:45 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
Many thanks to all of you that pitched in with info to help me here. Lots of great insight and experience. Your help here likely saved us from a serious incident while traveling. My path seems clear now. I can't operate safely with what I have. Going to start the hunt today for an F250.
Look in the drivers door of every potential truck!!! Or have the salesman give you that amount....

Deoending on how much driving you do with the truck, the mpg usually not a big difference with the steeper gearing (4.10's r whatever they may be for Ford), so consider those for possible future trailer upgrades.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Old 07-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #36

Is it possible that the P rated tires indicated on the payload placard are a factor in the payload calculation? I saw that another poster in this thread mentioned a ford upgrade package with heavy-duty wheels and tires with a higher load rating. Would simply upgrading to LT tires change anything? I realize 1/2 ton trucks don't have a lot of payload capacity, but 1091# on LT tires seems rather low.
whatimmadoboutmylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:23 AM   #37

I don't know. Do the type of tires change the payload capacity? Interesting that if you do a web search you can find discussions on this specific topic - the low rating on the tire sticker vs the larger delta on the GVWR sticker for platinum series trucks. Will read more and contact ford but seems the limiter, per some, is the tires not the truck. Tires are certainly cheaper than a new truck. The limited capacity is listed on the tire sticker, not the truck spec sticker.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatimmadoboutmylegs View Post
Is it possible that the P rated tires indicated on the payload placard are a factor in the payload calculation? I saw that another poster in this thread mentioned a ford upgrade package with heavy-duty wheels and tires with a higher load rating. Would simply upgrading to LT tires change anything? I realize 1/2 ton trucks don't have a lot of payload capacity, but 1091# on LT tires seems rather low.
Tires are a factor, but in the OP's case, I wouldn't expect them to be the limiting factor.

My P rated tires have a max load of 2039#. My GVWR is 6050#. My payload is 1530#. So my tires could theoretically handle an extra 2000#...but the rest of the truck can't.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:14 PM   #39

OK, I did some more reading and most posts i see that are from credible sources say yes, you can add LT tires, air bags, etc and perhaps (key word) get a bit higher payload capacity but - you cannot change the max payload rating for your vehicle per the sticker. There is more to it than just the tires. The HD package for my truck also includes different leaf springs as well as different tires so while I might gain a little from tires and improve how they handle under a load vs P tires, I don't think I gain enough to keep me well within specs. We intend to do a lot of traveling soon, just getting started, and my wife is already convinced we need a new truck. Hey, I can't argue with her on getting a new truck. She already went to the lot with me looking for an F250 that she likes. Plus, if I'm going to make a change I don't want to just squeak above the line by a hundred pounds or so and then wonder, I think I just need to get something that gives me plenty of headroom and be sure. Don't want to have to worry if I get the large fries and big gulp while driving.

Again, I really appreciate all the ideas and input here. Thanks for hanging in there with me on a long thread. I've learned a lot.

I would ask about diesel vs gas but I know that is another thread and might cause a fight to break out ;-)
Old 07-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #40

Hey, getting the wife on board with the new truck was the HARD part! I was in the same position after taking delivery of a new 2500 and she'd made up her mind on a new fifth wheel. It came down to payload, in that it just couldn't meet the tow specs even though the trailer was lighter than the tow capacity. That darned payload spec...

Now, if you could talk her into the diesel!

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote