Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #51

Suz,

Buying a 250/2500 series truck (or 350/3500) does not mean you have to get the diesel motor. The gas motors are just as capable within reason. Our '13 2500HD with the 6.0 gas motor has a payload of 275X# and tows our ~9200# 32 BHDS just fine. Being a gasser we have about 300lbs more than the diesel comparable if I recall correctly. Granted, our truck isn't "loaded" with leather, factory navigation, sunroof, etc, but it nicely equipped.

Good luck with the new truck and hope all works well!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:44 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
Yes, the 250s were diesel and only added about 200-300lbs of capacity. Those things are heavy. Yep, at 1,600lb I will be close but under. We carry nothing in the bed of the truck other than a couple of lawn chairs and a bag of charcoal. Our added items in the trailer are minimal and I travel with just enough water for a couple of toilet flushes. I will be near my max on some trips perhaps but, assuming the numbers do have a few lbs of buffer in them I feel better knowing I'm just under or at my max vs over from the start. A 3/4 ton would be better the towing for sure but, too many other downsides for me to go there for a couple hundred lbs.
I figured. One of the reasons why I went with the Gas model, which has a payload of 3042lbs on the door post.

If I had gotten the diesel, I honestly think I would have gone with a SRW3500 instead, but I am fortunate to live in a state where that doesn't impact registration much.

You are correct, there are downsides to having a heavy duty truck as a daily driver when your used to the SUV like ride, height, etc of many half tons. Sounds like with your setup you made a good decision.

I really hope you enjoy your new truck.

Equal-i-zer Weight distribution system
jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #53

Hooked up the new TV today and drove out about 10 miles and back. Front feels firmly planted on the road and no sense of floating or front end drift. Pull and power were fine as expected and even seemed a bit better since this one has a 3.55 gear ratio and does have the max tow package whereas my previous truck, as I discovered, did not. Lots of bells and whistles, too many actually, but one that I plan to use is the trailer backup assist. I've watched the youtube videos and if it works as demonstrated then that should be a real plus. The F150 Platinum FX4 inside is decked out and a very comfortable ride. My wheel opening measurements for hookup are below and seem fine but I do plan to find a place nearby to weigh it just to be sure all is ok. The front is close to same height and rear drops by a little less than 2" when all connected.

Truck alone: front = 37 1/4" / rear = 39 1/4"
Truck+Trailer no WD: front = 38" / rear = 36 3/4"
Truck+Trailer+WD: front = 37 3/8" / rear = 37 5/8"

I was able to get a reasonable deal but in the end this was an expensive oversight on my part, not to mention the weathertech mats, front and back, and mud flaps that don't fit. Maybe can get them sold on ebay. At least my bed cover still fits.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:58 AM   #54

Based on those measurements alone, the hitch looks to be adjusted properly. Do yourself a favor and learn to back in your trailer without that assist. When you upgrade your TV eventually, you'll want to not have to rely on it as an option. Once you get the hang of it, backing your trailer is really no big deal. The trick is to turn the bottom of your steering wheel go in the direction that you want to back of the trailer to move.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:19 AM   #55

The wdh sounds like it is very close to returning most of the lost weight to the fa. But I believe I have read Ford is now suggesting to only return 25% back on the new trucks. Double check your manual to verify what is suggested.

Enjoy the new rig!!!

Old 07-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #56

Not sure I follow. Return 25% back to the fa (front axle I assume)? Thx.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:30 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
Not sure I follow. Return 25% back to the fa (front axle I assume)? Thx.
Yes. Front axle.

Estimated weights:
If the fa weighs 3000# (truck only).
Then once you hook up the tt (no wd bars), if the fa weighs 2600#, due to teeter-totter effect.
Then depending on what is suggested by Ford, you will want the wdh adjusted so the fa weight is 2700# (25% of lost weight returned)- 3000# (100% of lost weight returned to front axle) once the wd bars are hooked up.

Just make sure to check your owners manual to see what is suggested.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:49 PM   #58

Ok. Thx. Dang, maybe I just need to buy a set of truck scales. Seems an option to give a weight readout for each wheel or axle would be a great idea. Just like tire pressure but weight. Otherwise this is hard to do right. Guess that's why many people just don't bother.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:00 PM   #59

Not hard to weigh the rig at a CAT Scale. Just make sure your wheels are on the proper scale pad. Don't want the rear axle adding weight to the front axle because you pulled up to far!!! Lol

You will want to weigh three time as outlined in my signature link. All the weights can be figured from there (except each individual tire weight).