Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2016, 11:20 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Memphis
Posts: 231
GVWR , GCWR - confused

I'm really trying to understand the weights and numbers for my TV and TT to make sure I have my WD hitch properly set and that my weights are within specs for my TV. The front of my truck felt "light" so I adjusted the WD brackets up one bolt level on the TT A frame. Better ride but still want to be sure. I am looking for a set of local truck scales to do a complete weight analysis but until then...Below are some of my specs:

TV - 2014 F150 Platinum SuperCrew. 3.6L Ecoboost, 365HP / GVWR 7,200lb, Curb Weight 5,687lb, max trailer weight 9,200lb, Max payload 1,900lb. (per Ford spec sheet). Truck pulls the trailer fine. No sense of strain or struggle but still feel front is just a bit light.

TT - 265RLSW, 6,118lb with 2 propane bottles per sticker, tongue weight is 800lb per scale I purchased.

E2 10,000 WD hitch

My concern - the chart on the sticker on the door of my truck says "total combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1,091 lbs. This is part of the tire chart just below the vehicle spec chart. That's almost half of what the Ford vehicle rating chart says. With a tongue weight of 800lb I would be over the lower number once I filled up and got in the truck to drive it. Any insights on what numbers I should use or trust here? If the max payload for this truck is only 1,091lbs then I have a problem.
__________________

suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:43 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: ogden
Posts: 17
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...31/#post-35018

not sure if this will help or not, you will have to change the numbers obviously but it should get you the idea at least.. post 4 is where id start the read and yes i know its a toyota forum and you have a ford its for reference is all...
__________________

anothermbdusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:43 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Mechanicsville
Posts: 279
You may have a problem. If the 1091# came directly off the yellow placard on the door of your truck, then you have a problem. That number seems particularly low though. Do you have the Max Tow package? What rear end gear do you have?

For a 1/2 ton truck, the max weight it can tow is usually a pie in the sky number. Almost all, including my 1/2 which has the HD pkg (2286# on the yellow placard) will run out of cargo capacity, the number on the placard, long before it runs out of the capacity to actually pull a trailer.



Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
I'm really trying to understand the weights and numbers for my TV and TT to make sure I have my WD hitch properly set and that my weights are within specs for my TV. The front of my truck felt "light" so I adjusted the WD brackets up one bolt level on the TT A frame. Better ride but still want to be sure. I am looking for a set of local truck scales to do a complete weight analysis but until then...Below are some of my specs:

TV - 2014 F150 Platinum SuperCrew. 3.6L Ecoboost, 365HP / GVWR 7,200lb, Curb Weight 5,687lb, max trailer weight 9,200lb, Max payload 1,900lb. (per Ford spec sheet). Truck pulls the trailer fine. No sense of strain or struggle but still feel front is just a bit light.

TT - 265RLSW, 6,118lb with 2 propane bottles per sticker, tongue weight is 800lb per scale I purchased.

E2 10,000 WD hitch

My concern - the chart on the sticker on the door of my truck says "total combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1,091 lbs. This is part of the tire chart just below the vehicle spec chart. That's almost half of what the Ford vehicle rating chart says. With a tongue weight of 800lb I would be over the lower number once I filled up and got in the truck to drive it. Any insights on what numbers I should use or trust here? If the max payload for this truck is only 1,091lbs then I have a problem.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:44 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mid-Mi
Posts: 1,331
Suz,

If the yellow sticker in YOUR TRUCK'S door jamb is 1091lbs, you probably do have issues unfortunately.

Truck:

GVWR: The max the truck with all passenger, cargo (cooler, bikes, firewood, etc), any accessories added (truck topper/ tonneau cover, step bars, etc), and when towing these weights add weight to the truck also: the wdh (weight distribution hitch), AND the GVWR includes the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight) because that is weight that the truck also carries, most of it anyway, as the wdh does transfer a little to the tt axles. But without weighing the truck and tt you don't know exactly what is transferred. Also, the hitch tw rating is based the actual tw, just as you found out yours is 800lbs per the scale (if that's the loaded tw).

The best thing to do is to go weigh your truck and trailer the next time you take a trip. Load just as you have up to this point, that way you get true numbers for your normal loading. Follow my signature links for the CAT Scale how to to understand how you should weigh your truck and trailer a total of three times. This will give you all the weights you need it you follow it, and you can decipher if you are over or under the trucks ratings, and by how much.

The "spec sheet" is usually a base truck model, with zero options, that is rated for the highest amount. As you upgrade to the extended and crew cabs, and get the longer beds, and add the leather and navigation system, etc your payload is reduced unless you order the heavy duty payload (if available) option.

GCWR: The max the truck and trailer should weigh as rated per the truck manufacture.

The trailer also has it's own GVWR per the trailer manufacture, that if you weighed the just the trailer, including the tongue weight, is the max it should weigh.

Power wise a 1500/150 truck will not have any issues if optioned with the right motor and axle gearing. The issue with almost all the 1500/150 trucks comes down to payload when trying to tow a tt (rolling brick"!!!), with a family, and a bed full of coolers and firewood.

Question regarding your tw if &00lbs per the scale: Was the trailer loaded for a trip yet, or was that when you first bought the trailer??? If it is the loaded weight, and you trailer's yellow sticker is 6118lbs, your tw may be on the low side. It does vary from trailer to trailer, but the general tw range for a tt is 12-15%. If your tt weighs 7000lbs loaded, with a loaded tw scaled at 800lbs, you are only at about 11.4%. Just be careful to not load to much behind the tt axles one trip because even with a wdh with sway control, sway could still happen.

Go weigh your truck and trailer loaded for a trip, with all the normal passengers, and report back. We will help decipher the numbers.

Good luck!!!
__________________
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:14 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Memphis
Posts: 231
Thanks for the replies. Will read through them and see if I can determine next steps here. Couple of quick answers. The 800lb tongue weight was essentially empty. A few light things on board but no water and nothing in holding tanks. I bought the truck used and cannot find anything that confirms if I have the max tow package or not. I have the tow option on the transmission, tow brake controller built into dash and tow adjustments built into the instruments but - nothing on a sticker that says it has "the package". Following the Ford spec chart for my truck, the 3.31 transmission has either a payload capacity of ~1600+lb or ~1900+lb, depending on the max tow package installed or not. Either way, still much higher than the sticker. Net - based on all the Ford specs I assumed my truck was within range for the trailer until I saw the sticker, which seems very low for a truck this size.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:35 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mid-Mi
Posts: 1,331
Suz,

Even if you can't get the truck and trailer to the CAT Scale soon, you and the family ran across the scale with the truck only it will give you a more accurate idea of where you stand.

Sounds like your tw could be higher than 800lbs, possibly even more if the trucks payload.

Stop by a Ford dealer and see if they will print off your trucks info based on the vin number.

Hang in there!!! We help you get this figured out!!!
__________________
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:44 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
dmward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
Thanks for the replies. Will read through them and see if I can determine next steps here. Couple of quick answers. The 800lb tongue weight was essentially empty. A few light things on board but no water and nothing in holding tanks. I bought the truck used and cannot find anything that confirms if I have the max tow package or not. I have the tow option on the transmission, tow brake controller built into dash and tow adjustments built into the instruments but - nothing on a sticker that says it has "the package". Following the Ford spec chart for my truck, the 3.31 transmission has either a payload capacity of ~1600+lb or ~1900+lb, depending on the max tow package installed or not. Either way, still much higher than the sticker. Net - based on all the Ford specs I assumed my truck was within range for the trailer until I saw the sticker, which seems very low for a truck this size.
The yellow sticker in the driver's door will show the specs for the truck you're driving. Ford will advertise payload capacity, without subtracting from it for certain options in the truck (a Platinum edition may have a few more bells & whistles that take from the payload).

As an example, here is mine. I have the "Max Tow" package, which other than 3.73 rear axle, also has increased payload. It's a SuperCrew EcoBoost as well. It shows that my truck (as-equipped) has 1802 lbs of payload (under Tire & Loading Information), which includes passengers and anything else, such as hitch weight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2a78a23ab906f84f0ad58b2168efdf8c.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	25659
__________________
-Derek

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:37 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Memphis
Posts: 231
Thanks for posting your sticker. I've attached mine which is very different re max payload. With a 36 gallon tank I could exceed the number on my sticker with just 2 good sized people and a full tank of gas. Something must be missing or wrong here. The difference in the weights above and the curb weight give me a much higher number. Sounds like a trip to the dealership might help. Ford charges for a copy of the vin factory specs.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
ttavasc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
Thanks for posting your sticker. I've attached mine which is very different re max payload. With a 36 gallon tank I could exceed the number on my sticker with just 2 good sized people and a full tank of gas. Something must be missing or wrong here. The difference in the weights above and the curb weight give me a much higher number. Sounds like a trip to the dealership might help. Ford charges for a copy of the vin factory specs.
You might be able to decipher more about your truck without going to the dealer using the downloadable towing guide from Ford for the 2014 F150.

Here is the link --> https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/...F150_Sep11.pdf

Looking at your sticker I see the axle code listed as L3. The above towing guide lists that as a 3.31 with electronic locking. As dmward mentioned higher trim levels such as Platinum will have more options from the factory that reduce payload.
__________________
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition
TV: 2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn CC, 5.7L Hemi, 8-spd, 3.21LSD, Factory Air Ride/Tow Pkg, Andersen WD/SC
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
Thanks for posting your sticker. I've attached mine which is very different re max payload. With a 36 gallon tank I could exceed the number on my sticker with just 2 good sized people and a full tank of gas. Something must be missing or wrong here. The difference in the weights above and the curb weight give me a much higher number. Sounds like a trip to the dealership might help. Ford charges for a copy of the vin factory specs.
Pretty sure the 1091# number assumes a 150# driver and a full tank of gas.

You can check it easily enough. Fill the tank and take the truck to a scale.

Your max payload = 7200# GVWR - (scale wt)
__________________

__________________
Charles in SLC, UT (formerly in Cincinnati, OH.)
2014 F-150 XLT, 3.5EB , HDPP
2011 Jayco x23B
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.