Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #1

Has anyone bought a extended warranty after their 2 year warranty had expired?

The dealer offered us an extended warranty and my husband accepted the 1800.00 additional fee but after researching we realized it wasn't worth it so he called them back and cancelled it. The Jayco Plus isn't offered through Jayco its just another company. if you have purchased an extended warranty after 2 years who did you use?
Amf2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #2

Nope. Travel trailers are pretty easy to maintain. I do my own work and there's not much to it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:24 PM   #3

Unfortunately, the one area where an extended warranty could really save you is if it covers water damage. An undetected water leak could cost you $$$$ down the road.
However, most extended warranties are written so that it is virtually impossible to collect on a water issue.
So, my vote, would be to skip it.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Save the $$$ for when you may need it. It won't replace a defect caused by not doing maintenance. Anything that is going to fail from defects will show up in 2 years if the unit is used.

Just my opinion..
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:31 PM   #5

I bought a 6 year warranty from USA Travel Care for my last camper. The camper itself only had a 1 year warranty (not a Jayco).

The insurance was around $1,550 paid over 18 mos at 0% interest (discounted from the $1800 you mentioned). The Silver plan I think. Pretty comprehensive coverage, included travel assistance. It's also transferable if you sell the camper, which is good in my case since I'm trying to sell it.

In the 3 years I had that camper we used it just 1x to replace some stove parts that had started leaking (!!!), but those parts were probably only $100 so I hardly broke even...

I do not intend to buy this same insurance on my new Jayco. I have come to to agree with norty1 in that if something's going to fail it will probably happen in the 1st year or two.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:31 AM   #6

We paid $1569 for extended 4 years $0 deductible. We came into our deal deciding not to go with the warranty, but it was too good deal to pass up. It's also transferable to the next owner if we decide to sell.
2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:41 AM   #7
Site Team

For you StarCraft new purchasers, I hear that they have extended the factory warranty to 2 years to match Jaycos policy.

http://www.starcraftrv.com/warranty/

Maybe Jayco has started something in the industry?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
For you StarCraft new purchasers, I hear that they have extended the factory warranty to 2 years to match Jaycos policy.

Warranty | Starcraft RV

Maybe Jayco has started something in the industry?
All of JAYCO'S divisions offer 2yr.

Starcraft, Highlands Ridge and Entegra.

As to the extended warranty I think it depends of the dealer. Many have 0 deductible if it's done at their shop. Also some offer prorated refunds at trade or sale of the unit. It's like any insurance policy you hope you never need it, but if you do, your covered. I have it on the PINNACLE and based on COLEMAN's track record I'll need it after the two years. We've already had 3 a/c units and two additional fan repairs. With all the electronics it makes for piece of mind and it is an "all inclusive" extended warranty.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:44 AM   #9

My dealer in MA didn't even mention extended warranty and I didn't ask. I have/had no intention of purchasing one. I consider myself pretty handy and am confident that I can hopefully handle most, if not all issues myself down the road.

My unit will be on a seasonal spot which will have sewerage PCV's to the septic. The 38FDDS is a big park model that can't be moved easily. My dealer is 130 miles from Cape Cod where my trailer will be located. We have a mutual understanding regarding warranty repairs. He made it clear that he can't just send someone to the site on a whim and that he would provide me with parts and technical service advice over the phone first for repairs within my capabilities and I would attempt the repair myself. He said in some instances it could take a couple of weeks before he could dispatch a service call for a major issue (A/C, water heater or furnace replacement) in the peak season. I understand and am onboard with our agreement.

I'm lucky in that I have several tradesman buddies including an HVAC guy, electrician and plumber that all own trailers. I can call one of them if I get stumped.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
All of JAYCO'S divisions offer 2yr.

Starcraft, Highlands Ridge and Entegra.

As to the extended warranty I think it depends of the dealer. Many have 0 deductible if it's done at their shop. Also some offer prorated refunds at trade or sale of the unit. It's like any insurance policy you hope you never need it, but if you do, your covered. I have it on the PINNACLE and based on COLEMAN's track record I'll need it after the two years. We've already had 3 a/c units and two additional fan repairs. With all the electronics it makes for piece of mind and it is an "all inclusive" extended warranty.
I just had my Coleman AC unit replaced last week under warranty. It stoped blowing cold air after a few months last summer. Had to to rough out July, August and September because every dealers service department was booked solid.
thebuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuckeye View Post
I just had my Coleman AC unit replaced last week under warranty. It stoped blowing cold air after a few months last summer. Had to to rough out July, August and September because every dealers service department was booked solid.
You should have called JAYCO they may have covered mobile repair.

That's the other advantage with ext war many cover mobile service call fee.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuckeye View Post
I bought the extended warranty when I bought my unit. I probably shouldn't have but this was my first RV and I didn't know how dependable they are. Plus, she said they cover all the electronics inside including fridge, AC, heating, etc. That stuff looks pretty expensive so I went ahead with it.

Hopefully I won't have to use it.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:01 PM   #13

I'm glad I did a search before I started another thread....
Our dealer offered us the Jayco plan for $1600. I'm normally not an extended warranty fan, but I thought the coverage list was pretty extensive, and since the 16 XRB is a little more complicated than our old PUP, I at least listened to the dealer rep instead of just blowing him off. It works out to about $325 per year with a $50 deductable at our purchasing dealer and $100 everywhere else. We picked up the trailer last Saturday and have 7 days to make up our mind.
FIREBUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #14

Yes I have,and the one that I purchased was a 7 year plan actually purchased it at the time of sale and not when the 2 year had expired,maybe I'm no help to you ?
Old 04-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #15

Yes, we purchased extended warranty at time of trailer purchase. We got a substantial discount for it since we paid cash so normally we wouldn't of gotten one. Think it was around d$1000 more.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:57 AM   #16

My dealer needed to meet a quota and after us saying "no" many times, they finally just threw it in for free. I would not have purchased it otherwise.

Former pilot to the rich and famous. Current domestic engineer, head chef, head laundry officer, head dog walker, and pilot volunteer. Lover of tacos and soccer
beechjetpilot1 is offline   Reply With Quote