Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-31-2016, 07:00 PM   #1

Hayes Sway Master Installation

Hi everyone and Happy New Year to you all. On our trip south 2 weeks ago from Canada to Ocala, Florida, we had a hairy situation on the I-75 between Detroit, MI and Toledo, OH while wind blown lake snow hindered the view and snow started to pack up at icy patches. Most cars were using the flashers to be seen by the following traffic. We did too and had reduced the speed to 48 mph while keeping a safe distance to the cars in front of us, when a flatbed tractor trailer raced past us with a 70+ mph speed. His displacement of air created a vacuum that sucked on our White Hawk 24RKS, causing the trailer to fishtail. I instinctively throttled up and that straightened out the rig (2014 RAM 1500-6cyl.). My wife and I discussed this incident in lengths and decided to get the electronic Hayes Sway Master controller, which arrived 2 days ago. You find the installation here: Marlene and Benno's Odysseys on Land and Water
Benno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:33 PM   #2

I thought Jayco did a recall and removed all the Sway Masters that were factory installed due to some kind of problem. Am I missing something?

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/reca...em-080216.html

Maybe it's a different system.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:56 AM   #3

The system Jayco recalled was made by Lippert.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:57 AM   #4

Yep, ttavasc is correct. Jayco's unit was called Sway Command and was hard wired into the trailers wiring. Hayes Sway Master is a different animal, it is stand alone unit in which the trailers cord plugs in and it has its own cord which plugs into the tow vehicle. In addition to a gyro it has a GPS. We will see, please read our blog for more info.
Happy New Year to you all, Benno
Marlene and Benno's Odysseys on Land and Water
Old 01-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #5

Is this to be used on when you don't use a WDH? I have a friction sway control on my WDH and I have not experienced any sway yet but I have only used my trailer about 7 time so far. Would this be counter productive to what I already have installed?
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropnaduece View Post
Is this to be used on when you don't use a WDH? I have a friction sway control on my WDH and I have not experienced any sway yet but I have only used my trailer about 7 time so far. Would this be counter productive to what I already have installed?
The web site says it works both with and without a WDH. However, I think the question is really is it OK to use if you already have another sway control solution in place. Watching the video on the web site it would seem to me that it would be fine to use in conjunction with an existing friction-based sway control device. The only time you would see it kick in is if the friction-based device wasn't working or if you encountered a sway event that was greater than the friction-based device could handle.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 AM   #7

Hayes Sway Master Installation Update

We just have finished towing our 24RKS White Hawk travel trailer from Ocala, FL up the I-75 to Leamington, Canada and like to report how the in January installed Hayes Sway Master performed. It was the most easy tow we have ever experienced, the trailer stayed in a straight line behind our TV (towing vehicle) the 2014 RAM 1500, 6cyl, with the factory installed towing package, never fighting side winds or fast, close by passing trucks. When towing we keep our speed to 55mph to save gas and plug away with this speed and hardly felt the soft tuck once awhile when the Hayes Sway Master got activated. We did not notice an increase of the fuel consumption. The tow was, in comparison to our tow down to Ocala, FL in Dec., like a difference of day and night. Marlene and me, Benno, alternate in driving duty to brake up the long haul, we felt very relaxed and think having installed the Hayes Sway Master was the best addition to safe towing of the travel trailer and worth the money. Safety first!
PS: We still keep our existing PRO sway bar mounted!
http://marleneandbenno.blogspot.ca
Old 03-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #8

It's my understanding that these systems operate by engaging to trailer brakes in response to sway. I wonder if that causes any premature trailer brake wear?
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #9

Hohenwald48, there is for sure some trailer brakes wear as part of the price to pay, but this is the lesser problem, I would say a 2 to 3% additional wear can be expected. The ride was comfortable and pleasant, this is what we want isn't it? Regards, Benno

PS: The in the previous message mentioned PRO Sway Bar is the famous installed friction bar, most trailers use in addition to weight distribution hitch (ours is the 10000 Ibs unit from PRO with 800 Ibs PRO spring bars).