Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #1

Heater Problem

This weekend we were up in the mountains and it got pretty chilly at night. When I turned on the heater it ran fine until it reached the desired temperature and shut off. When the temp inside dropped again and it went to kick on, the furnace wouldn't light. You can hear the igniter click click clicking but it would not light. I would then turn it off at the thermostat and wait several minutes and turn it back on and it would work. Any ideas what would be causing this?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #2

Mine was doing the EXACT same thing. They said it is a propane regulator issue. Check out my thread "New Jayco Owner / Unhappy Camper". What unit do you have?
pjsteve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #3

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 24RKS
Old 06-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #4

I have nothing specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpopenhagen View Post
... You can hear the igniter click click clicking but it would not light.
I presume the fan kicks on first for a purge cycle and then you hear the clicking? If there is no gas for the igniter to light off then it typically will try the ignition sequence 2 or 3 times and then lock out.

Quote:
I would then turn it off at the thermostat and wait several minutes and turn it back on and it would work. Any ideas what would be causing this?
When you turn the switch off at the thermostat then you are taking away the power which resets the electronic burner controls. When you turn the stat switch back on then the control is starting from zero.

I don't think that switching the stat to off would affect the pressure regulator, but I suppose there could be related controls.

I would be more inclined to blame the electronic control and flame monitoring circuit than any fuel pressure system issue at this point. That is just opinion/information, not a diagnosis. vic
Old 06-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #5

Yes, the fan will come on then you can hear it trying to ignite. It does this 3 times then the fan will shut off.
BTW... All other gas appliances are working, i.e. refer, stove/oven. Also I only turn on one propane tank at a time.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Yes, the fan will come on then you can hear it trying to ignite. It does this 3 times then the fan will shut off.
BTW... All other gas appliances are working, i.e. refer, stove/oven. Also I only turn on one propane tank at a time.
A guess. If the on-off switch contacts are a bit dirty/corroded then the control may be seeing low voltage during the temperature setpoint off cycle which could cause a lockout of the gas solenoid valve.

A long shot, but simple to try. Try clicking the on-off switch back and forth quite a few times in succession to help clean the contacts.

Alternatively you may be able to CAREFULLY use a small screwdriver to move the closed contacts of the on-off switch ever so slightly against each other to scrub them clean. Don't bend or break anything or then you'll be cursing me.

On a 12 volt system like the stat I would probably even try a small spritz of WD-40 or carburetor cleaner on the contacts because that helps clean things too. Some people would disagree and recommend only using electrical contact cleaner.

The contacts of the temperature control on the bi-metal sound like they are working OK or it wouldn't be calling for purge/ignition when it goes below setpoint. FWIW. vic