Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2016, 06:41 AM   #1

Help...Furnace won't heat!!!

Hello all,

I need some assistance please. My furnace will not heat. I have checked the fuse...fine. I have checked the breakers...fine. I have run the fridge, stove and hot water tank on gas...fine. It worked yesterday but quit in the evening. I turn on the wall thermostat and the fan kicks in immediately but turns off after about 30 seconds. Obviously not lighting and then turns self off.

I have an Attwod 8500-IV series. I've checked the only panel outside to reset but only have the hot water tank available in that compartment. I checked under sink and the furnace is there but is completely covered in metal without any access areas. Any ideas how I reset this????I'm in a 2012 28 bhs.

Soooo cold....

Christine
devonquest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:50 AM   #2
Site Team

Google that model # and look at some of the videos. Maybe a reset somewhere.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonquest72 View Post
Hello all,

I need some assistance please. My furnace will not heat. I have checked the fuse...fine. I have checked the breakers...fine. I have run the fridge, stove and hot water tank on gas...fine. It worked yesterday but quit in the evening. I turn on the wall thermostat and the fan kicks in immediately but turns off after about 30 seconds. Obviously not lighting and then turns self off.

I have an Attwod 8500-IV series. I've checked the only panel outside to reset but only have the hot water tank available in that compartment. I checked under sink and the furnace is there but is completely covered in metal without any access areas. Any ideas how I reset this????I'm in a 2012 28 bhs.

Soooo cold....

Christine
Try holding your hand over the exhaust port within the first 30 seconds. If it lights it could mean the exhaust or intake port has a web or nest that needs to be cleaned out.
The Atwood 8500 series service manuals are located here;
RV Furnaces - Atwood Mobile
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #4

I know this may sound stupid but try to turn the gas over to another tank and turn gas bottle off and turn it back on slowly. The furnace takes a lot more gas than a water heater or stove burner. I have done this before and it has worked more than once.
Ryan1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #5

Also I have had to remove the access door before mine is a sealed combustion type furnace which uses a hi temp gasket at the round access door make sure if you remove this to gain access to the igniter to put some high temp rtv back on the mating surfaces or you could run a risk of carbon monoxide in the trailer.
Ryan1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonquest72 View Post
Hello all,

Soooo cold....

Christine
Not to take the easy way out here, I have the same TT, just a little newer, and other than having to 'reset' the propane emergency shutoff valve (as described in posts above) no idea. If you search the forum for "Furnace Won't", you'll get a treasure chest of posts, many fairly recent on this exact problem. Unfortunately a lot of people never come back to the post to let us know what fixed their problem, so there are a lot of open ended problem reports. Please let us know if you figure it out, what the problem was.

With all the posts I've seen lately regarding furnace problems, it's probably wise to get one of those small ceramic heaters just as an emergency back up if nothing else, and I know several that use them all the time. Obviously not a fix, but might keep you from totally freezing your butt off in the short term.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #7

I'm noticing a trend with these newer furnaces. Haven't had a chance to try and fix mine, was thinking of contacting the dealer because even though our unit is out of warranty the furnace is still under warranty.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #8

My brother had a similar issue with his furnace in his Coleman pop up. We discovered that pulling the fuse and reinserting it reset the furnace and got it working again.