Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2015, 07:50 AM   #1

Help! Installing Andersen No Sway WDH

I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to install the WDH with NO success...

The first challenge I have had was the bottom ball pin didn't fit the triangle plate hole, After 30 min of messing around I got it in, it was a very tight fit, now I doubt that if I ever be able to get it out...

The second challenge I have had was to align the triangle plate to the RV tongue, the manual indicate to NOT use a hammer, instead use the vehicle, it took me a while to get the hang of it – but I did it right.

The third challenge I have had was installing the brackets, as soon as I start tighten the bolts they slide forward, resulting in uneven distance from the RV coupler

In the end I mange to install everything per the manual, the towing vehicle was leveled and all look good…. Until I start driving away in the parking lot.
After a few sharp turns I park straight as a ruler and I notice that one of the chains was loose while the other was super tight – is that normal? My guts feel tell me that NO.

Tonight I will try installing it again (from the start) I will go through all the steps in the manual again and see, maybe I missed something?

Please help.

Dream Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:27 AM   #2

The bottom pin is tight the first few times using the hitch. A shot of Silicon spray on the pin will help. Same with the triangle plate. Spray the plate, not the ball shafts.

For the brackets, I measured and positioned them according to the manual, tilted the brackets so the bolts contacted the trailer frame and then snuggled them up. I the drilled a dimple in the frame where the short Allen key bolts go in so they would bite in better. Then use a torque wrench to tighten to specs.

The chain tension I adjust so I have 9 threads showing on each chain bolt. Silicon spray on the threads helps here as well. I usually adjust hairs with some weight on the tongue jack as it is less effort.
The chains should both remain tight or you have no weight distribution OR sway Control.
Hope this helps.
Happy Camping.
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #3

Update:

! - SUCCESS - !

a few notes:
The first challenge has resolved by itself, the wight of the RV has push the ball deeper and now I can slide the bottom pin in and out without a problem.
look for Andersen videos on YouTube (as they do address that).

I have found the Jayco 184BH frame to be very soft, as I tight the brackets I have notice that the frame got slightly squashed on the sides, also the set screw dig really well in to the frame
(I didn't drill any holes, and only did 2 - 2.5 turns per set screw, I also considering welding it in the future)

a few more notes:

1. I used my Jeep for the WDH install, the plan is to tow the RV with my dad pickup truck for the time been, until I get my own truck... hopefully next year.

2. I know that many people are towing my RV model with a mini vans and other v6 3500lb max tow rating vehicles.
I was always wondering how close or over are they, so for educational purposes only I will tow the RV to the nearest CAT scale (with camping gear and everything) as I am dying to know what the real numbers are.

Dream Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:59 AM   #4

Indeed. Please do as I am curious to know what your actual weights are. We don't see a lot of "actual" scale results for any of the WDH'S being posted. I will repost mine when I dig up the figures again
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote