Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #1

Help me remodel my Jayflight G2 bathroom

Looking for any advice from other owners that have remodeled their travel trailer. I love my 2008 26' JayFlight G2 but would like it more if the bath were bigger. I plan to remove the bunks that I don't need to expand the bathroom. I"m currently in the process of doing an ACAD plan drawing to figure out the best configuration of the bath to take advantage of the additional room. My main concern is the toilet which I'm thinking would work better on the outside wall. Has anyone got any advice?
Island_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum Tim...if you get a chance, come on over to the new member area and introduce yourself!

Sounds like quite a project! I don't see anything too difficult in what you are talking about if you have the plumbing and carpentry skills. Biggest concern in the toilet move would be the tank location and making sure it worked with the frame, etc.

Since your trailer is several years old, Jayco should be able to send you some plans and drawings if you request them via the Jayco web site.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #3

How about some pics to see what your working with? Sounds like a good winter project.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #4

Just bear in mind that some items in rvs, have a dual purpose and also function as structual supports...even things you wouldn't initially think about. Also make sure you can replicate a factory appearance if you think you might ever sell the unit.

As tafische said consider the black tank needing to be relocated and also the vent pipe.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #5

Update on my remodel. My goal for undertaking a remodel of my bath/bunk area is to provide a more comfortable bathroom i.e., making the bathroom more user friendly. I purchased my TT used for a very good price in 2010 and have spent two summers in it so I know more about what I like and don't like about it. First order of business was to measure out and draw the floor plan in ACAD to determine the best possible layout. I contacted Jayco for drawings which they willingly provided. The best resource person was Jayco's Dennis in purchasing. He was very knowledgeable and help me to make the revision to the black water tank vent that was required. (see the attached picture of the new 1 1/2" vent nipple) The toilet will remain in its original location but be rotated 30d ccw. I removed the existing vanity, linen closet, wall between the bath and bunks (future pictures will show how I reinforced the area where the wall was removed) and the bunks. A new wall was installed to divide the bunk area in 1/2. The vanity is being relocated to the rear 1/2 of the bunk area over the top of the hot water tank. Full access to the HW tank and water valving will still be available. Water lines have been sanitarily relocated to the bottom of the rear wall. The service water & electrical cords. exposed by removal of the linen closet & vanity, are being boxed in. The inside 1/2 of the bunk area is being converted to storage accessible from inside and outside. (This unit has the small escape door) The new full size vanity sink will now connect to the gray water drain line from the kitchen sink. Water to the vanity sink was easily tied in at the HW tank. The project is 80% complete and I will attach construction and completion pictures in the near future. I don't believe I've added more than a couple hundred pounds to the trailer weight mostly due the new wood flooring that has been install throughout.

best regards,

island_tim
Old 10-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #6

Before you started your project you were asking for advice. Now I believe you can give others advice on this project. Sounds like you have been busy. Looking forward to the during and after pictures as this sounds like a very interesting rebuild.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #7

Well, I'm done with the remodel, the trailer is closed up and covered for the winter. I really like how the remodel turned out. I now have comfortable space in the bathroom to do all the things that need to be done in a bathroom!

As noted in the previous comments, I removed the bunks, the wall between the bunks and bath, the linen closet and the vanity. Flooring & ceiling materials run throughout the inside which aided in the remodel. By carefully removing cabinets and the wall, the ceiling was not damaged. Following are some pictures that I hope will help explain the remodel:

[ATTACH][/ATTACH] photo of the bath before removal of linen & vanity. Space was so tight it was hard to close the door when using the toilet.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH] photo of piping exposed by removal of linen & vanity. Drain piping from the vanity sink was demoed too and the tub vacuum breaker relocated.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH] photo of rerouted water piping and framing to box piping and electrical. All revised water and drain piping is completely accessible.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH] photo of the completed boxed in piping which also added support to the trailers back wall
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006-01-01 00.00.52.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	5587 this photo taken from the bunk area escape door shows the wall that was removed. Note that I left the wall stringer that was attached to the trailers back wall & ceiling. I used it to attach the new ceiling support that will show in pictures to follow.

Name:	IMG032.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	5578 this photo shows the new wall that divided the bunk area in half. Note gussets in the corners and plywood plates to attach support for the new vanity top.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH] this photo was taken from the bunk area and show the relocated black water tank vent inside of the modified wall.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH] this photo shows the support for the new vanity top and the reconstruction of the original wall also shown in the previous picture. Because there was no way to match the original wall material, I used 1/4" oak plywood on the new and modified walls.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH] this photo taken from outside the bath door shows the completed vanity with a full size sink, the modified wall and the boxed in wall stringer from original construction. I reused the medicine cabinet & took advantage of the 12 volt light switch & wiring that was exposed in the modified wall to added two new double light fixtures.
110v receptacles installed in the original construction were perfectly placed for the remodel, one above the vanity and the one shown in this photo.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH] this photo shows the toilet installed in the original location but swiveled approximately 30d, the new mirror and the new oak flooring that now runs throughout the trailer.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH] this photo shows the new cabinet that was built in the inside 1/2 of the old bunk area.
Total cost for the remodel was $600 which is a small amount compared to what a new trailer would have cost just in sales tax.

I'm also going to include a couple more photos to show other changes I've made:
[ATTACH][/ATTACH] this photo shows the entertainment center that was modified to install a 32" LCD TV. A new subwoofer is in this cabinet along with a Denon tuner. All of the surround sound speakers have been upgraded.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH] In an attempt to add more counter space in the kitchen area I added this shelf that helps a lot. It drops down out of the way when not required.
And finally, my favorite vacation spot on our property at Lake Roosevelt on the Columbia river in eastern WA. [ATTACH][/ATTACH]The spot includes all hookups including HD TV. Not shown is the quonset building that houses our motorcycles for scrambling on the Forest Service roads and the jet skis for water play. Hope all of this helps anyone that might be interested in making changes in their TTs.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #8

Great job. I pays to do your homework before undertaking a project. Glad to hear Jayco was responsive and helpful.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #9

Bummer! It won't let me pull up the attachments.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #10

Sorry about that. I had a few problems posting them but they do come up for me. Anyone else having a problem with the attachments?
Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #11

can't see attachments here either.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #12

Same here, would love to see the finished project.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #13

Only able to see the 3 that are showing. Would love to see them all.
Bonieta Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #14

Yeah I can't see any of the "after" photos! Please repost, this is all way too interesting... the suspense is killing me! ;-)
Old 11-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #15

I will try one last time. I see the photos came in in reverse order so......:

[ATTACH][/ATTACH] This picture shows the shelf I added on the side of the entertainment center to provide more counter space in the kitchen and is not part of the bath remodel.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH] This picture shows the rerouted water lines and the framing to box in the water lines and electrical service.

Name:	1980-01-01 00.00.10-2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	5582 This photo shows the shelved cabinet added in the inside 1/2 of the bunk area
[ATTACH][/ATTACH] This photo shows the water and drain piping as found after removing the linen and vanity cabinets in the rear of the unit.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH] This photo show the finished vanity area. The facade across the top covers up the black water vent & provides strength for the ceiling. It is where the original wall was and is connected directely to ceiling and back wall by framing left after removing the wall.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH] This shows the finished boxed in water piping which also adds strength to the rear wall. The face can be removed if required.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH] This shows how I framed for the new vanity.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH] This view taken from the escape door in the bunk area shows the boxed in black water vent piping.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH] This photo shows the new wall built to divide the bunk area in 1/2.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH] This picture shows the installation of the new black water vent location.

See my previous post for better descriptions of the previous photos.....
Old 11-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #16

Wow, outstanding job.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #17

Wow! Congrats there guy. It appears your pretty handy with the tools. Looks great. I wouldn't even consider attempting such a project since my skills in that type of things are lacking. I do a few little mods here and there, but wouldn't think about taking on something as big as that. Great work.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #18

I would move a wall in my house before I moved one in my trailer!! Good on ya for doing it. I woyld like to see the photo's of the entertainment system wanting to add as big of a TV as I can to my trailer. The RCA 21"is a pile of junk. It sits in a cupboard space and I am thinking of framing in the hole and adding a wall mount to hang either a 27"or 32" LED TV.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #19

That's the nicest mod i've seen yet. The wood work over the vanity is particularly striking.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #20

Derek700:

That is exactly what I did. The space where the original 17" TV was mounted was large enough to open up, re-case the opening and install a 32" flatscreen. I built a wood bracket behind the tv to mount it to that is shown in this photo. Click image for larger version

Name:	2006-01-01 00.00.20.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	5597 (I have a better picture but it isn't on this computer) I added shelving to the right bottom side of the center which is where the tuner is located. The 17" TV was then moved to the shelf in the bedroom. Note that I do remove both TVs when traveling if for no other reason than peace of mind. Hope this helps.