Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #1

Help with hitch and dealer

I'm not sure whether I should post this thread under towing or not but I thought I would post here and see what happens.

As I mentioned in the new member forum, my wife and I are new to RVing and we just purchased a new 2012 Whitehawk 28dsbh. Since everything was new to us, we understood that we were completely at the dealership's mercy with whatever they installed.

Initially, I felt pretty good about the Equalizer 90-00-0600 that the dealer installed since the reviews were good and people on this forum seemed to like it. But once I started reading some of the details of the hitch itself on this forum and Equilizer's website, I started to wonder if they installed the right hitch.

According to what I read on the hitch itself, the Equalizer 90-00-0600 has a max tongue weight of 600lbs. and a max trailer weight of 6,000lbs. The weight of the trailer with propane (and generator fuel which I do not have) is 5837lbs. So, at first, I was thinking everything should be ok. But then I noticed the weight of the water (if we chose to carry it) is 384lbs. That puts us over the 6,000lbs limit without even adding any cargo at all.

Then there is the issue with the tongue weight: I can't find the tongue weight of the trailer anywhere. The only thing I can find is in a Jayco Whitehawk brocure for the 28dsbh and it says the "dry hitch weight" is 630lbs. Isn't the dry hitch weight the same thing as the tongue weight before adding propane? So based on what I'm reading the tongue weight is above the maximum rating for the hitch as well.

We've been on one trip so far and didn't really have any issues at all with the towing, but I'm thinking at the very least, the warranty on the hitch is voided since the weights have already been exceeded. More importantly there is the issue of safety for my family.

We have a signed "Warranty Registration and Customer Delivery Form" from the dealership listing the items that were inspected and one of the items is "Review tow vehicle, hitch and sway control set-up - test drive (towables only)".

It seems to me like this is a big deal but I guess I'm just looking for some advice from people who know a lot more about this than I do. The difference in the cost of the next model up is $20.00 and the max weights on that model (90-00-1000) is 1,000lbs./10,000lbs.

Thanks so much for any help you all can offer.

Adam
franklins77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #2

I believe you are correct that the warranty might be voided if you have an accident or something and it is found that max weights have been exceeded. For safety and the warranty issue, I would go back to the dealer who installed it, show him your figures, and ask that he replace the hitch with the next one up in capacity (the one he should have installed originally), and charge you only the additional $20.00. After all, being the dealer and seller of the unit and the hitch, he should have known the weight capacities and installed the correct hitch. JMHO.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #3

I actually called the manufacturer as I purchased and installed the hitch myself about that same question. They stated to get the 10000 lb model as the only issue I would have is a slighty stiffer ride and I could use the same hitch if ever I wanted to upgrade my trailer. Since I drive a truck the stiffer ride was not a issue so I purchased the 10000 lb model.
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Accoding to Jayco's website, the dry hitch weight for a 2012 White Hawk 28DSBH is 610 lbs. Also, the website specifies the unloaded weight of your trailer as 5,365 lbs and a gross weight of 7,500 lbs. Based on these numbers you can only load approximately 635 lbs in your trailer before you exceed the hitch's total capacity of 6,000 lbs.

Below is the link to where you can find this and other specifications for your TT.

http://www.jayco.com/products/travel...oorplans-specs

You're right in the fact that the real hitch weight is most likely going to be more, rather than less, once you load it up and fill the propane tanks.

IMHO- That dealer doesn't know his product if he installed an underrated hitch on your tow vehicle for the trailer you purchased. If it were me, I'd demand he install the correct hitch at no cost to you. It's his error and he's putting your family at great risk; especially if the hitch should suddenly fail due to it being overloaded.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #5

X2
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #6

When we got our trailer 15 months ago, I discussed getting the Equalizer hitch with our purchase. Our dealer looked in the catalog, and right away said the 600/6000 hitch was too small and recommended the 1k/10k which we got. Our trailer is lighter than yours by aprox 1,000 lbs. I think your dealer should have done the same.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #7

If you are correct about the limits on the installed hitch then another vote for a heavier hitch. Locate a truck scale and weigh your TV & TT combination. I went to the CAT scale a few miles down the highway from our house. Brainless and painless procedure.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Site Team

Here`s yet another vote for upgrading to the appropriate hitch for your trailers maximum loaded weight or GVWR and loaded tongue weight, which will be well over tre dry weight of 600 lbs. As someone who had experience with spring bars that were not heavy enough for my trailer, I know first hand that you need the right hitch for yours.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #9

Good news.

I've contacted the dealer and they are going to replace the 90-00-0600 hitch with the 90-00-1000 hitch at no charge, not even the $20.00 price difference!

I spoke to the GM and he seemed very willing to get this taken care of.

If anyone has any additional suggestions about things I need to make sure of or ask them before I take it up there to have them replace it, please let me know.

Thanks so much for ALL of your help and information!

This is why I LOVE this forum!!!!!

Adam
franklins77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklins77 View Post
snip.....If anyone has any additional suggestions about things I need to make sure of or ask them before I take it up there to have them replace it, please let me know........snip
Adam,

I agree with the other members, the dealer shouldn't have let you depart his lot with the 600lb/6,000lb WDH. The 1,000lb/10,000lb is better suited for your Whitehawk and the potential loaded weights of the TT.

When at the dealer:

* If the dealer Tech isn't taking your TV's front/rear fender heights prior to the TT being hitched, and after the TV/TT being hitched with the spring bars engaged...., then he is not setting up the WDH correctly.

* Watch over the Tech's shoulder on how he adjusts the WDH. Remind the Tech that since he is adjusting the WDH under "unloaded" conditions, you will be back to have it re-adjusted correctly when you have your TV/TT combination "loaded" conditions..... at dealer cost (no, there is no way to adjust the WDH in advance for anticipated loaded weights).

* Make sure the dealer gives you the installation instructions for the WDH.

Oh, remind the dealer not to size WDH's based on UVW or Dry weights, they should focus on the potential "loaded" weight range of the TT.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #11

Now that you have the basic weights of your trailer.....you could call Equalizer directly and get their opinion as to the correct setup for your rig. They are very helpful. I use the Equalizer on my Bigfoot trailer and am very pleased with it. Also, when we travel, I never fill the fresh water tank full, just enough water to get us to our campsite where I fill the tank as needed. If you're hooked up to city water, there's really no need to fill the fresh water tank.

533 South 500 West
Provo, Utah 84601
(800) 478-5578 - (toll free)
(801) 377-9599
info@equalizerhitch.com
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #12

My White Hawk tongue weight was initially 810lbs and I adjusted the load in the TT to reduce this number to 750lbs. I have the Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution System w/ 4-Point Sway Control - 10,000 lbs GTW, 1,000 lbs TW. It has performed as advertised.

mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #13

There is also a good installation overview on YouTube. Just do a search for equalizer installation. It goes over the measurements etc. for the hitch.
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote