Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #21
Site Team

''when I pressed down water came up, you could feel water underneath as shown in video.''

This would scare me. Water trapped under the roof membrane WILL cause rot. and roof repair is not easy or cheap.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #22

I'm not trying to be a downer, but personally I would stay away from ANYTHING with water damage, especially if it hasn't been properly fixed yet. Unless you get it for extremely cheap and you have lots of money to spend on repairs or are very handy. Water inside a trailer is like a virus. You will never know the full extent of the damage until you tear it all apart. Just my opinion. Good luck!
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #23

I would pass on this one....There will be better ones for $5K...
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #24
Site Team

I agree with the others. Keep looking. Along with the water under roof and bad frig, questionable tires, Ac issue, consider also the rubber roof could be nearing the end of its service life at 15 years old or so. Too much money for that trailer.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #25

Do RV A/C systems have contactors (big relays) like home systems? The one I was looking at cools just fine, but can't be controlled by thermostat. The seller replaced the systems board and thermostat and it didn't change anything.

A home system uses the low volt signal from thermostat to energize an electromagnet which causes triggers the contactor to close, which switches the heavy duty circuit on. Removing the trigger low voltage turns it off.

Anyone know if the RV system is similar design typically?
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #26

Oh and thanks for input. I mentioned via email that upon inspection I would only see that unit with its various issues being worth half the asking price. They countered to $3k but I'm getting less interested the more I think about it. Tent camping is good this time of year anyway...no hurry.

After the dog damaged the roof a bit, he got 5 gallons of some coating stuff and did a coat on the roof. Are y'all saying the whole deal has to be replaced in X years (sooner in Houston where the sun is pretty darn strong)? If that is the case, I'm not going to touch it.

We did like the owners and they had obviously kept it up for the most part. It didn't have any "driver error" bangs that are pretty common, the ceiling was great and no musty smell (yet). It appeared that the water was trapped under a very thin surface layer on a thicker under layer..where the damn dog had scratched it.

The propane tanks were new, he painted the hitch / tongue, the refridge and a/c and roof are all not small problems however.

All the used trailers in this price range are typically going to have issues. Just have to pick poison I guess. This one being nearly 15 years old has its share.

some of the sellers of these things are like worse than used car salesmen as my area has some folks who wheel and deal TT's.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #27

For $2500, it may be a more reasonable risk. That roof damage with the water being squeezed out of it would still worry me, but if you're up to buying cheap and removing/replacing part of the roof section, it may be worth it in the long run, assuming all else is ok.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #28

From what I see, I don't know how the roof could keep from leaking. The roof don't look very good to me, looks like it needs replaced.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #29

as one of the other posters said, too many used campers out there.. That one looks like a whole lot of trouble down the road.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #30

Run away! Sounds like it has too many negatives. Keep looking.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #31

Thanks...wife will be glad I have a lot of projects already! Can afford to pay more for a better one, just have to keep looking.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #32

Hello
Quick note: Found a TT in much better condition except for booth was removed and couch removed, but rest of it is fresh and in good shape.
Question:

I searched here and it seems most of these 27-28' bumper pulls are 2 5/8" hitch ball, I am going to have to move it tomorrow. Is that correct for '06 era trailer?

Also, while you're reading this..I'm going to put in some flooring (pergo type I think) and customize it a bit with a fold down table and loose chairs which wife prefers. Hints on good flooring if you are reading and have ideas? I have installed bamboo on my house on the whole first floor, so I'm good with installing anything but pergo sort seems easier than cutting vinyl flooring and nicer looking IMHO. I'd rather it be secured however instead of feeling like its floating and moving up and down as you step on it like some Pergo installs I've seen.

thanks
Old 11-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #33

Oh and while I'm good at backing up trailers, I am wondering if the tongue weight is too much for the 1/2 ton pickup to move it, can't we just load any loose items in the rear to offset it? I have a short 2 hour camp planned next weekend to try it out, figured I could put a cooler and chairs, stuff in the back if needed.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #34
Site Team

^^^2 5/16" on the hitch ball size.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #35

oops you're right...swamped at work must have read it too fast!
Old 11-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #36

I picked up the 27' BH no slides (about a 2006) and it towed great. I was really surprised how easily it moved with a Tundra 4.6 with towing package, I mean accerration was hampered but it cruised really well and stopped pretty good for not having trailer brakes hooked up yet.

I washed her down - a light spray with pressure washer didn't do squat so I had to use car wash soap and brush. It wasn't really horribly dirty and moldy (problem in gulf coast area is mold on RV's) but what was there took some scrubbing. I was amazed at how water running off was white - I wasn't using a scrub brush just a long handled brush but I guess the paint was oxidized pretty good.

The prior owner before selling had someone try to clean it and they must have been an idiot and seem to have used something like bleach or something on a few sections as some of these areas the dirt appears to be really stuck on and may take some rubbing compound as even elbow grease was not terribly effective. The door handle in particular is dark with mold but doesn't come off. I may use grey or black spray paint on it. The wheel housing plastic has some stains, but the most annoying is the window rubber trim which has discoloration which doesn't come off. I'll have to search.

We got the thing w/o tanks and battery as they were removed. Does it take 40lb cylinders? I have the mount and a cover, its a far sight taller than a bbq grill tank.

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I think I need to recaulk the skylight over the shower as it had a very slight water on the edge of it after we had rains.

The booth and couch were removed and a countertop added where the couch would be, and the booth is empty but wife prefers it. We're going to just load stuff in there adn maybe mountain bikes, thinking of using a small antique table and a couple benches.

Getting it all setup going to use it this weekend. Thanks for advice.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #37
Site Team

The white stuff you see running off is likely from the roof and caulking, and has run down the side of the trailer. This can in time lead to the dreaded "black streaks" on the aluminum siding which can become baked on and be quite difficult to remove if left on for too long.

The propane tanks are likely 30# tanks which is what most trailers have, but some use 20# tanks (grill tanks).
Old 11-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #38

I didn't see leaks up front, but I noticed the roof flattened out a bit at the front and water puddled a little bit on the sides of front roof, it wasn't as peaked as the rest of the trailer. I'm going to really keep eye on it but may look into removing the ceiling panels and checking out the underside if that's possible. I am handy and could reinforce things to get that profile again if the wood is just sagged.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy View Post
I didn't see leaks up front, but I noticed the roof flattened out a bit at the front and water puddled a little bit on the sides of front roof, it wasn't as peaked as the rest of the trailer. I'm going to really keep eye on it but may look into removing the ceiling panels and checking out the underside if that's possible. I am handy and could reinforce things to get that profile again if the wood is just sagged.
The front of the roof should and does flattened out to meet the front cap.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #40

Well we're loading up for first camping weekend at the Texas Renn Fest with family. Yes, I still have a lot of stuff to do but the "bones" as my buddy calls it on the trailer are good. I still have to get propane bottles, a battery, hook up a solar charger, remove wheels and check brakes, get a spare tire, etc. Using coolers and a coleman stove outside to cook as we don't have facilities there. LOL, we're tent people so not really used to this But this is a short trip and going to just get out there. The kids aer really excited and fighting over which bunk and everything! Have to load a picture although it looks pretty typical. Appreciate all the advice.