Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2014, 10:17 PM   #1

Help with Jayco used purchase

Hello

We are new to TT and I have researched a bit and looked about 6 different used trailers, all bumper pull 28ish jobs that fit our use. We are not looking for a new one, and my area has a plethora of used stuff, although I'm finding the buyers also abundant and many beat up. OK, on to the question:

I found a 03 model Jayco and it looked great, it had new tires, clean exterior, interior was not worn out, the doors and bathroom intact and clean, basically really well cared for. But being conservative, I had brought a ladder along and inspected the roof of the trailer. Oh oh... The roof on the TT has a membrane top, which is good from what I understand, but apparently this one came loose during a tow in the front edge and damaged the front 3' or so in a big upside down "V" if you were standing at the front edge of the roof. THere was a lunar surface type repair on this area and thick layers of tape looking stuff and it looked like a poor repair job.

Question, I have tried YouTube and what not, I realize I can replace the ENTIRE roof but since its just the front, I was wondering if this problem was easily fixed. I think from poking around I may have to replace a little of the thin wood in that section, or possibly just a recovering would work. It was soft feeling. The ceiling in the TT was generally pretty good but did look somewhat (just barely noticable) saggy in that front bedroom section, but most of the ones I've seen have had some sag just from age and the price range I'm looking at (5-6k).

I was thinking just get a 5' section of that roofing material and then remove old front section, repair wood if needed, then recover it. Seal the front and then at the rear seam use a terminating strip screwed into a wood bow and caulked up like crazy.

One additional bit info, I'm able bodied and very very handy with stuff, I've built furniture and race cars, rebuilt homes electrical/wood frame/plumbing etc. I saw a video on how you can install new Dicor rolled roof and seal it up with a terminating strip on each end, and the side moldings.

I am not sure how much this affects the value of the trailer...all used in the range have issues. This one was by far, the most well cared for. The refrigerator was ice cold and clean inside and out. The oven was clean. A brand new microwave was installed when the old one died. It has hookup stuff included. The only issues I could find elsewhere were the front bed platform needed a new plywood top and some pretty minor (for me) rework of the wood support and floor area, AND the windows seemed to have lost the rubber seals which seems to be a common problem and even the ones that were intact had gaps and were crappy seals to begin with.

Should I offer on this, one, or run away?
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:13 AM   #2

Sounds like you are pretty handy with a tool belt so make them an offer and fix it up right!
Old 10-08-2014, 04:22 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

I would run personally but if that is what you can afford go ahead. I wouldn't want to have much money in it knowing there are water issues.

Water can and will run a lot further than what you may see. It could have major floor issues as well and I wouldn't want anymore than a couple of thousand in it.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:48 AM   #4

I would go for it myself because it sounds like a fairly easy fix. I would tackle this project the same way you are. At 5-6K you won't have that much into it and you'll get many years of enjoyment out of it.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:07 AM   #5

Do you know for sure if the roofing under the rubber is solid? Any time you look at one and have questions snap a pic and post it up. A picture is worth a thousand words sometimes and would help show what we are talking about.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:17 AM   #6

I guess to me it would depend on how much you are paying for it, and how much you are going to spend repairing it. Keeping in mind that you will probably never be able to get what you put into it, back out of it down the road. If you plan on keeping it for a long time yourself and keeping it up, may well be worth it. Just remember, if there is water damage on the roof, that water has probably seeped everywhere. You also said there where soft spots on the floor. Make sure you check for soft spots on the front and side walls near the front. I would suspect at least one of those areas may be damaged also. Water damage is one of the worst enemies of recreational vehicles.
If you are as handy as you seem, it may just be a very worthwhile project. Be sure to keep us posted with pictures to follow your progress if possible.
Good Luck

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:31 AM   #7

Only question so far is if there is additional, unscene, damage under the roof. You can use Eternabond to seal the room seam when/if you do the roof patch/repair.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:03 AM   #8

I don't have a lot of experience with it, but I have read MANY accounts of people who do. If it were me, I would be worried about the entire front end being rotted out. If the roof leaked at the front seam, and the floor is soft, the walls could be complete mush. You could end up having to take out the entire front of the trailer from the roof to the frame to replace rotted wood framing and insulation in the walls. IIRC, there are a couple guys on here doing a similar project replacing walls and such. If you are as handy as it sounds like you are, this might not be a big deal for you, but I would prepare myself for it. If I didn't have to replace any walls on that trailer, I would consider myself VERY lucky.

It's been stated before, the water damage you can see from the outside is likely only a fraction of the true damage. Most of the situations I've read about like yours are a bit like peeling an onion, it just keep going and going; once you pull off that roof (the first layer) and get a look at the inside, you could find a much bigger problem than you thought.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
I would run personally but if that is what you can afford go ahead. I wouldn't want to have much money in it knowing there are water issues.

Water can and will run a lot further than what you may see. It could have major floor issues as well and I wouldn't want anymore than a couple of thousand in it.
Well said!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #10

If it were me, I'd pass and keep looking. Patience is your best friend. We bought our '04 hybrid for $6K at a dealership in almost-perfect condition. We have a camping buddy who always buys used in the $5K-6K range over the past 20 years, usually in the 26-30' range, and finds them in good condition too....
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #11

Thanks for all the input. I have mixed feelings. I missed one that "Looked" from pictures and description to be very nice and similar and I asked seller what it sold for and they told me $4500 - ouch. Listed for $6, I would have snapped it up at near that price.

This one did not show water damage but understand the advice given, that the entire interior front maybe needing rebuild. I did see sag on the support structure for the bed, but also it was so lightly constructed it appeared that some of this was just from a pretty poor design and didn't see active rot inside, swelled wood, mold, that sort of thing.

Although he's asking $5900 I'd estimate a good offer might start with a 3 even though it has electric tongue jack, new tires, new microwave, a updated car stereo, working awning, and no dents or other damage, good interior.

However, Bed was horrible up front and bunks also sucked but kids could make do, the chipboard under the mattress had gotten wet and needed replacing. Plus the roof. Backwall of bedroom looked / felt solid as did ceiling as much as these things go. But it might be hiding damage, I know.

I do have a bore-scope sort of tool but with the insulation I doubt I'd see anything. Its a bit over-rated too in most respects but has been handy on a few things.

I wonder if someone who is not handy /or educated on such things may buy it from him (the "greater fool" theory) for a better price.

Jayco sales rep said when we wandered into a new place one time that this was the most popular model, so I guess they will keep showing up and I can be patient.

The inverse opinion is that we have an oil boom going on south of Houston and the roughnecks have been buying all the lower end trailers like crazy and the market is pretty hot, so it will take a fast draw to get one. This was best so far, but I guess I'll have to keep lookign if he's not interested in a lowball price.

My wife is not enthusiastic about another project as I seem to have as many projects as possible going at one time and we're trying to finish assembling a convertible project car that's been ongoing for years in my garage at 90% done. I'm leaning towards not even pursing it, but I was so disappointed as the roof was the last thing I checked and everything else seemed pretty decent.

There was a dirt-bag guy who was selling a dirty, poorly maintained version of this trailer that had missing air vent adjusters, rusty refrigerator, dirty oven, broken table mount, corroded sink drain, dented exterior, original looking tires that needed replacing, etc etc and he wanted $6k, and I overly politely declined to even offer, but he said he was "in the business of buying and selling" and it wouldn't last weekend. But you never know (see greater fool theory)

If I get a wild hair and he hasn't sold it I'll take a picture.

For now I'm dam glad I had a step ladder in my vehicle to check it out!
Old 10-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

There are so many good used campers on the market I think I would pass. We looked for two years before upgrading what we had. “Life is not like a box of chocolates.
It’s more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.”
~ Author Unknown
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #13
Site Team

I would take my time and keep looking, there are better fish in the sea. That one could be a can of worms.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #14

I think you made the right choice. In time you will find the right one for the right price just keep your eyes open.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #15

The closer to Xmas the better the values. But do it before the RV shows in January as people get RV fever....hard to cure...and prices go up.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #16

I wouldn't buy anything that had water damage unless you can get it really cheap and you are very handy. You never know how bad the water damage really is. Could be much worse than it appears.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #17

DIDO...on looking for 2 years!
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #18

OP, I don't know how far out you've searched, but perhaps expand your search radius. Up around the Midwest here, camping season is just about over and there usually are lots of folks looking to unload their old trailers.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #19

OK...we passed on that trailer I first posted about.

I just looked at one last night. Its roof had not leaked from what I could tell, but was older 2000 era and a little dog had jumped from a deck to the roof and damaged the membrane in the corners of the front.

It was otherwise well maintained, clean. Asking price was $5k

http://youtu.be/DXSNpGrPeFI

Here is a video I shot of the roof. Only this little area had this problem. There was a section where the top of a thin membrane had little cracks in it and was loose. when I pressed down water came up, you could feel water underneath as shown in video.

I didn't see any roof damage inside and the water seemed to trapped not leaking in, but still I'm concerned.

I was thinking if one was to slit that area so it could be opened up and totally dried out, then use that RV caulk inside the area, push it back down and then also caulk the whole area and smooth it out with a puddy knife.

======
It also needed a new refrigerator as the old one was replaced with a AC only job w/o latching doors. Tires questionably age but good tread, and the AC control section won't turn it off but it cools just fine - I'm thinking contactor is stuck. He was good with mechanical bits but not electrical.

The upholstery and everything was in good shape.

What do you folks think of my idea to seal the roof and does this look bad?

The wrinkles in the roof membrane are from where he pulled it back to reseal it after the dog messed it up, then he pulled it back down, i guess this wasn't 100% successful appearance wise as there are the wrinkles. Is that bad in itself?

Thanks. DD
Old 11-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #20

bump! Any comments? sorry was so long - winded.