Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2015, 02:48 PM   #1

Unhappy Hi All New Here!!

just wanted to say thanks for having me!! We have a deposit on a new30.6' JayFlight..we bought it at Albany RV and I've read some disturbing posts here regarding their service..I'm now a bit dubious about completing this deal...are there any GOOD POSTS on this dealership??? Any advice is appreciated ....
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #2

Congratulations on your new Jayco and welcome to the forum.

Albany RV is part of the RV One Superstores chain which has locations throughout the country (Albany NY, Buffalo NY, Orlando Fla, Tampa and Des Moines, IA.) I purchased my TT at Buffalo RV. I knew exactly which Jayco product I wanted and unfortunately for me, I had to purchase it at Buffalo RV.

From the sales process (boldface lies), to delivery (got ripped off having them install my weight dist. system as I had to reinstall it properly when I got home), to orientation (clown had no clue on the features of the unit, plus it was dirty), to after the sale service,( no return phone calls, e-mails etc. trying to address a very minor issue of the unit), this company (Buffalo RV) was the absolute worst to deal with.

That being said, you purchased one of the best RV's in the industry as far as quality and construction. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, you should able to repair minor issues by yourself. If however, you need warranty work, be prepared to make a pest of yourself with the service department in order to get your issues addressed.

Happy Camping!
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #3

THank you for your reply!! It's reassuring to hear our TT is one of the best....I am mechanically and electrically inclined having owned 4 houses in my lifetime...hopefully I won't have to be too much of a PEST for service but I can and I will if needed. We bought the 27rls..6395 unloaded weight...do you think a F150 with tow options and. V8 is enough truck..I'm thinking 2013 or newer
Old 09-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #4

Bowhunter, I have a 27RLS with Elite package, 6633 lbs. unloaded. I tow it with a 2012 Ford F-150 with 5.0 V8 and tow package. It has 7350 lb, GVWR package as well, Even with over 500 pounds of personal items loaded in it, my truck hauls it like a charm! However I always tow it with all the tanks empty.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #5

nice!! Great minds!!!...sure draining tanks makes sound sense..@ 8lbs per gallon H2o is HEAVY!! Does your truck have a tow/Haul button? That rear diff. Change option is the Cats meow..
Old 09-18-2015, 06:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Welcome to JOF. Enjoy the rig and keep us posted on the experience. We hear many bad stories about dealerships that do not meet our expectations.

Hope yours is a good experience.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
just wanted to say thanks for having me!! We have a deposit on a new30.6' JayFlight..we bought it at Albany RV and I've read some disturbing posts here regarding their service..I'm now a bit dubious about completing this deal...are there any GOOD POSTS on this dealership??? Any advice is appreciated ....
Good Luck with your new trailer ! Our Whitehawk is the second trailer we purchased from Albany RV. The first was a 14 Rockwood pop up, just had one issue, a leaking sink drain hose, we took care of it ourselves. The guy that did our walk through did a nice job and was knowledgeable. We picked up our Whitehawk in April 2015 at their new facility right off the NYS thruway. I had also just picked up a new to us 2009 Suburban 2500. The service guy installed the WDH and asked me to tow the trailer to the garage a few hundred feet away. When I got to the garage we both stared at the receiver and saw that it was slanted downward. It turns out (previous owner) took the 6 bolts out of the frame for whatever reason. Tim the service mgr actually got under the truck and took care of business himself. He found a place for me to pick up the proper bolts. He put the bolts in, no charge for labor though this was not their problem. Everything hooked up fine and we got home safely. I've heard some negative stories about RVOne but havent had to deal with them yet. Ive had some minor issues with the Whitehawk but took care of it myself. Our sales and financing experience with Albany RV went smooth. I havent had to use their Service dept since.
Future Projects : Kitchen faucet w pulldown sprayer DONE , bathroom faucet and shower head DONE, dimmer for awning lights DONE, Clear door window kit DONE, internal&external fridge fans DONE
denn888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:48 PM   #8

Well that's encouraging to hear!!! Thank you for the input, I feel better now giving them a chance.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:50 AM   #9

Welcome and congratulations on your purchase. As far as Albany RV goes, we went out there to look at a couple of TT and 5er as they had a huge inventory on the lot. Though we didn't buy from them (they didn't have exactly what we wanted), the experience with the sales team wasn't bad. Didn't deal with service at all, but the shop was extremely busy.

Jayco makes a great TT, so hopefully you don't need the service department anyway.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #10

Congrats on the new rig!!!!

The biggest issue with 150/1500 trucks is the available payload. As you are looking at trucks, look in the drivers door jamb for the yellow sticker, "Passengers and cargo not to exceed XXXXlbs". The higher the better! This rating is for all passengers, cargo, wdh (weight distribution hitch), AND the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight).

With a 725lb "dry tw", you need to add about 160lbs for the battery and 2-30lb propane tanks, even before loading the tt. Once loaded, you could esily have 1k lbs tw, possibly more. So pending on what your family weighs, you may need to watch very close how much cargo you have in the truck/truck bed with ~1k lb tw. It seems on average most 1500/150's have anywhere from 1500-1700lbs payload. IF you are looking at F150's, from what others have posted there are a few different gvwr's based on the individual truck options.

Make sure you have the tow package. Not real familiar with the different gear ratios Ford has, but depending on what motor, you will want at least 3.55 (I think it is), if not the 3.73 gears.

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #11

On further research, I agree, we re going to test drive a 2014 Tundra TRD with 10k tow rating ...5.7 engine and 3.73/4.10 tow/haul switch..I LL keep you posted and thank you for such sound advice sir!!
Old 09-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #12

Quote:
On further research, I agree, we re going to test drive a 2014 Tundra TRD with 10k tow rating ...5.7 engine and 3.73/4.10 tow/haul switch..I LL keep you posted and thank you for such sound advice sir!!
First thing to do when you open the drivers door is check the available payload on the yellow sticker!!!

Good luck!!!

Old 09-20-2015, 04:40 AM   #13

Yup!!! The Bible!! Thanks..!
Old 09-20-2015, 05:03 AM   #14

Welcome from the Texas Coast
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Doesn't the Tundra have only a set of 4.30 gears (or something like that). Not sure what you meant by the 3.73/4.10 tow/haul switch. Something new from Toyota?

Did you go test drive one yesterday?

Old 09-20-2015, 10:14 AM   #16

I didn't have anything to post on your dealer question but did take a look at that floor plan. Wow, it's almost exactly like our Eagle's. We love the center hall plan separating the toilet from the rest of the bathroom. And with sofa and chairs looking toward the TV positioned in the center of the camper is much better than the rear entertainment position with windows on both sides of the tv, at least for our old eyes. In looking for a new Jayco TT last winter we were told that center hall plan no longer existed. Now we can do some online looking at 2016 floor plans.

I think you'll really like your rig and hope yours is as trouble free as ours has been.

I'm not getting into the half-ton limits discussion other than to say my thinking is, close only counts in horseshoes!

Happy camping!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Doesn't the Tundra have only a set of 4.30 gears (or something like that). Not sure what you meant by the 3.73/4.10 tow/haul switch. Something new from Toyota?

Did you go test drive one yesterday?
Yes..The Tundra has a push button switch that instantly changes Rear Diff Gear ratio on the fly from or to 3.73 - 4.11.....great innovation...fuel economy till you see a hill coming, then a simple push of a button....Ta Da!!! 4.11 POWER....5.7 v8 is very smooth,quiet and powerful!!! We were most impressed.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #18

We pulled our Jayco 25RKS with our F150 (Large V8, tow package, heavy duty shocks, Rees dual cam weight distribution hitch with anti-sway, Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller, Aux transmission cooler, and tow/haul).

We usually kept the fresh water tank full when we dry camped, 'cause ya sure can't fill up when you get there. Going to full hook-up sites, we ran about half full, for use in route.

It towed fine, and if we ran at it's "sweet speed" of about 58 mph (2100 RPM), it got about 11 MPG.

Having said that... going up long grades of 6% or greater, it wouldn't go over about 45 MPH. Wish we had the new F150 with a V-10... oh well.

We switched to a Jayco motorhome with the 305HP V-10, and hills are no longer a problem!

Happy and safe camping!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #19

I pull our 2015 27 RLS with our Tundra with the same 4.10 rear end. Never have an issue and I pull all over Colorado. Even going uphill I can easily maintain the speed limit. I typically do pull about 58 which gives me about 11 mpg. I think your misunderstanding the tow/haul switch, which I do use. It helps to keep it in gear longer so your not constantly switching up and down grears when in mountainous areas. It does work well, probably give you an extra 1 mpg but it really saves your transmission. I use ours with cruise and never have an issue.

I LOVE our Tundra.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Yes..The Tundra has a push button switch that instantly changes Rear Diff Gear ratio on the fly from or to 3.73 - 4.11.....great innovation...fuel economy till you see a hill coming, then a simple push of a button....Ta Da!!! 4.11 POWER....5.7 v8 is very smooth,quiet and powerful!!! We were most impressed.
I don't know of any of the trucks that have an electronic "dual ratio" rear end. Being 4wd both the rear and front diff would need to be a "dual ratio". I thought you may have meant you had a choice of either 3.73 or 4.11's.

The tow haul in most cases basically just changes the shift points of the trans.

Glad to hear you like the truck on the test drive!