Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #1

Hi, new owner questions

Hi, we're Terry and Marsha and we just bought a new Jayco Jay Flight 23RB and we're a little confused about the extras we were offered. Could someone please tell me if any of these options are worth buying from the dealer:
Extended service agreement
Paint protection
Coach net trailer protection (would replace our AAA roadside plan)

Thanks for any input. Looking forward to participating in this community.

Terry Easley
Guitarpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:34 AM   #2

I would pass on the extended service plan (just my opinion, unless it's free). For the cost, you could repair many items out of pocket for less than the initial outlay for the plan. Also, many things are not covered with those extended service plans, and each component on your RV carries its own warranty that may be longer than the Jayco 2 year warranty any way. For example, Alpha Systems (the manufacturer of my roof membrane) offers its own 10 year stand alone warranty.

Don't know about paint protection, sorry.

My trailer came with a year of Coach Net for free direct from Jayco; do they not do that any more? I never had to use it thankfully, but it was nice knowing it was there if I needed it. I would check with your regular insurance company to see what kind of roadside assistance they offer on your existing plan.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarpoet View Post
Hi, we're Terry and Marsha and we just bought a new Jayco Jay Flight 23RB and we're a little confused about the extras we were offered. Could someone please tell me if any of these options are worth buying from the dealer:
Extended service agreement
Paint protection
Coach net trailer protection (would replace our AAA roadside plan)

Thanks for any input. Looking forward to participating in this community.

Terry Easley
Congratulations on your trailer and welcome to the forum.

(Sorry, I can't help with your questions.)
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum! We also skipped on the extended service agreement since it seems pointless to pay for it and the interest while the (new) camper is under warranty for the first two years anyway. If you think you might need a service plan, I'd wait until the factory warranty is about up then explore your options. I've also never heard of paint protection for a TT but this maybe another sales point for the dealer to make more profit. We also received a year membership to Coach-net (offered free from Jayco for a year) but never used the service during the trial period. Our TV insurance (USAA)and TT insurance (Progressive) offer towing and flat repair under their policies so it seemed redundant to pay for yet another form of roadside assistance.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:56 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum.
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I would pass on the extended service plan (just my opinion, unless it's free). For the cost, you could repair many items out of pocket for less than the initial outlay for the plan. Also, many things are not covered with those extended service plans, and each component on your RV carries its own warranty that may be longer than the Jayco 2 year warranty any way. For example, Alpha Systems (the manufacturer of my roof membrane) offers its own 10 year stand alone warranty.

Don't know about paint protection, sorry.

My trailer came with a year of Coach Net for free direct from Jayco; do they not do that any more? I never had to use it thankfully, but it was nice knowing it was there if I needed it. I would check with your regular insurance company to see what kind of roadside assistance they offer on your existing plan.
X2

Extended service agreement ( invest it) otherwise you just lost $2,000.

Paint protection gives you nothing more & maybe less than a coat of wax. You'll need to do that anyway to get the road grime off just like your car. You'll need to get the black streaks off the sides because of the rain coming off the roof. The gutters don't work that well but they do work some.

Trailer protection , well in the next 5 years you might and I say only might have a flat tire. Good Sam or AAA might take care of that. My auto ins. Has a rider for my trailer and it's almost nothing money wise for the year.

Now go use it like you stole it!!!
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:57 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum, we have a 2015 Jay Flight 23RB and we love it. Our trailer came with a year of Coach Net for free, direct from Jayco. With all that said we didn't buy any extras, most of the time their just a rip off.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #8

Welcome! Our TT came with a free year of CoachNet too. IMO, don't waste your money on the extended warranty.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #9

When I bought my Jayco in 2008 (first RV ever) I went ahead and bought the extended service agreement to insure I didn't have a major expense after 3-4 years. I have never had my RV in the shop on a service related issue, so my $$$ was pretty well thrown away. However, should I have had to replace the a/c and the refrigerator and some other issues such as plumbing or electrical, I would have been proud I purchased the agreement. You just never know. Some say to put that cash you would have spent on the agreement in the bank and use it if you have a breakdown. Good idea but I doubt many actually do it. On my next Jayco, I will probably skip the agreement.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:50 PM   #10

If you already have just upgrade to the AAA PLUS RV, then all your vehicles are covered because AAA follows the driver

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:12 AM   #11

Talking

1. No
2. No
3. Isn't it free for a year? We continue to subscribe. No need for AAA.

Back to No. 1. NO NO NO.

If you have a lender, check with them. If you avoid these over priced offers for a few years you'll save enough to fix any repair several times over. On appliances they often add 15 to 25% to the retail price. What a deal - for the retailers and the company behind them.

When my wife bought her Expedition a couple yeas ago, the dealership offered an extended warranty for around $2500. Later I rec'd offers from some independent outfit. They wanted around $3300 with a 50 or $100 deductible. Curious, I called our credit union. They offer better coverage, no deductible, $1300. And I don't have to buy it until the 3/36 factory warranty is about to expire.

I'm sure many will disagree. P.T. Barnum was right.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #12
Site Team

We passed on the extended warranty and other dealer offers. No regrets. The coach net coverage is only for the camper. Costs extra for other vehicles. We already have GS road service so it was not needed. If you already have road service just add the rig. I would not be without it for the cost.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:10 AM   #13

Coachnet offer coverage for all vehicles and any utility trailers you may have. Of course, it's a few more bucks. Different prices for different levels of service. In addition to towing, they offer over-the-phone tech advice, but you don't get both. If the tech fails to solve the problem, you'd have to pay for the tow. Good Sam offers similar coverage, I believe.

Maybe AAA has improved its service since we had it. We called twice. Once our transmission failed in Ocean City MD. They had no contractors anywhere near there. Another time our daughter was stranded during a downpour in the D.C. area. There was nothing but busy signals for hours. A local radio show had heard other complaints and found there were three, count'em, three operators for the entire DC/MD/VA metro area.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:05 PM   #14

Welcome to the forum

Definitely pass on the first two items.

There are threads on this forum and others concerning Coachnet and Good Sam.
Try looking at those before you decide about that. You should have a year of free coverage from Jayco on Coachnet.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:09 PM   #15

Does anybody know the difference between the 23rb and the 2014 238rb? We have the later and don't see hardly any others.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #16

We got the extra warranty. With the warranty we bought we get the full value Back if we don't use it. In our last Tent trailer I had the Charger/ Converter and Furnace go. i had one of the walls start to move with 2 inches of movement. I had the ceiling fan go. the rail for pull out bed broke. So I thought I would get the warranty this time.

2011 Ranger Sport
brianca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:30 PM   #17

Welcome to the forum....I had one year of road side assistance included with my trailer....

I never bought any extra's as some one on here suggested put the money in the bank and you can draw on it if needed. You will likely be farther ahead.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #18

In the last 15 years, 2000 forward, I've NOT purchased X-warranties on five cars/trucks and two campers. I have been out of pocket, for what would have been covered repairs, about $600. Do the math.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #19

tunce the traveler has it right save your money and spend it on something nice for your new coach.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
If you already have just upgrade to the AAA PLUS RV, then all your vehicles are covered because AAA follows the driver
And you'll be sitting on the side of the road in either Indianapolis or just outside of Peoria with AAA saying "We can't find anybody to change your MH tire for you".