Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #21

I was looking for something as well a while back and there was a post on here about just this thing and it was looking at Air shocks and Timbren Suspension kits I went with the Timbren its really just a replacement for your factory bump stops but what a difference easy to install and dont have to mess with the air. On my last Truck i went with overload springs and they worked but I had them cranked down so rear of truck didnt squat a 1/2 inch but with out any weight on or in back of truck it was a ruff ride.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
I was looking for something as well a while back and there was a post on here about just this thing and it was looking at Air shocks and Timbren Suspension kits I went with the Timbren its really just a replacement for your factory bump stops but what a difference easy to install and dont have to mess with the air. On my last Truck i went with overload springs and they worked but I had them cranked down so rear of truck didnt squat a 1/2 inch but with out any weight on or in back of truck it was a ruff ride.
I know the thread you're talking about, and the Timbrens are on my short list as well. I ruled out the overload springs for the exact reason you mentioned (rides like a sled when they're cranked down). The only thing I'm not sure I like about the Timbrens is that they're not progressive or adjustable. The RAS is progressive and adjustable. But guys who have Timbrens installed mostly swear by them, but then so do guys with RAS...

How do you like your Timbrens? Do you think they'll mitigate my bouncing issue? Or should I be looking at shocks as was previously mentioned?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #23

I installed Timbrens on my Suburban. On my Excursion I installed the RAS. Comparing the two I prefer the RAS. With the RAS you also get an improved ride with or without the TT hooked up.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I know the thread you're talking about, and the Timbrens are on my short list as well. I ruled out the overload springs for the exact reason you mentioned (rides like a sled when they're cranked down). The only thing I'm not sure I like about the Timbrens is that they're not progressive or adjustable. The RAS is progressive and adjustable. But guys who have Timbrens installed mostly swear by them, but then so do guys with RAS...

How do you like your Timbrens? Do you think they'll mitigate my bouncing issue? Or should I be looking at shocks as was previously mentioned?
Bob, I noticed awhile back, you started a thread about the RAS system and Hellwig helper springs. I have no experience with either, but explored those possibilities along with air bags as well. I went with the Timbren SES and what a difference they made for me. First off, they were very easy to install. They ride about 1in. above the the factory suspension stop and the only time you'll feel them unloaded is if you hit a really big bump. Secondly, they reduced my squat by 80%. I had to re-adjust my WDH accordingly and it is now so much easier to hook up. They even helped with any sway issues by "tying" everything together as the Timbrens rest on the stops when hooked up for a solid ride. As far as the bounce, I still have some, but nothing near as I had before. I have almost 1400lbs on the tongue, so a little bounce is to be expected. Like you, I wanted something I could install and forget. Question for you is if the RAS system is adjustable, how big of a PITA is it to adjust every time you want to tow vs not towing to smooth out unloaded ride?
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #25

I had Hellwig helpers on my old 82 Ford F250. I loved them, they did somehow actually improve the ride. I'm not sure how adding more spring improves the ride, but somehow it did. I wasen't expecting that. I'm going to give the RAS a try on this truck.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
Bob, I noticed awhile back, you started a thread about the RAS system and Hellwig helper springs. I have no experience with either, but explored those possibilities along with air bags as well. I went with the Timbren SES and what a difference they made for me. First off, they were very easy to install. They ride about 1in. above the the factory suspension stop and the only time you'll feel them unloaded is if you hit a really big bump. Secondly, they reduced my squat by 80%. I had to re-adjust my WDH accordingly and it is now so much easier to hook up. They even helped with any sway issues by "tying" everything together as the Timbrens rest on the stops when hooked up for a solid ride. As far as the bounce, I still have some, but nothing near as I had before. I have almost 1400lbs on the tongue, so a little bounce is to be expected. Like you, I wanted something I could install and forget. Question for you is if the RAS system is adjustable, how big of a PITA is it to adjust every time you want to tow vs not towing to smooth out unloaded ride?
Yeah, no one responded to that thread. I was hoping to hear from some more people who had tried different suspension upgrades and how they worked. I don't think that I'll adjust the RAS on a regular basis, but I've read that there is some "break-in" and they need to be tweaked every couple hundred miles for a little while after installation.

So far, I'm most likely going with RAS. The Timbrens are very attractive, but one of the reasons I'm going with the RAS is the improvements while unloaded. I drive curvy, bumpy country roads almost exclusively, so it would be nice to have something that will help with wheel hop and body roll in addition to better handling characteristics while loaded. I'm not too worried about squat. When everything is hooked up, I get a fairly nice and level ride. But you can really tell the truck is loaded up, so I'm hoping the RAS will tighten up the rear end and mitigate that somewhat.

Sorry about the post hijack OP...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #27

Bob, keep us posted on how the RAS system affects your ride, and if you do the install yourself, I'd like to know how easy/difficult it was. Thanks
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #28

I put Timbrens on my Suburban and then on my Excursion I put the RAS. The RAS improved my handleing when not towing the TT as well. As of now I fel the RAS is the best buy.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
Bob, keep us posted on how the RAS system affects your ride, and if you do the install yourself, I'd like to know how easy/difficult it was. Thanks
Will do. DW has cleared the purchase for February. I'll probably have it installed (doing it myself) by the weekend after I get it. I think we are going out Feb 21st, if so, that will be the first time I'll have towing feedback. It 'should' be the same journey we had last time out, so there will be notable comparisons.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #30

I have a 4x4 2012 cc Titian and put 10 ply tires on it also a level kit on front end. Towing a 2014 White Hawk 23 MBH. Using a wdh. Works great.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #31

I put the RAS on this weekend. Installation was SUPER easy. It took longer to jack up the truck and take the wheels off than to install the parts. Especially since I have a leaky hydraulic jack There are two levels of adjustment; 25% overload and 40% overload. Not entirely sure what exactly that means, but I wasn't looking for anything dramatic, so I went with the lower 25% overload (adjustment is quite easily accomplished with a ratchet and a wrench).

I haven't towed with it yet, but I can still see/feel some some changes. The rear of the truck is 1" higher than stock (unexpected, but not altogether bad... or good...). As for handling, it definitely rolls less. I noticed a significant difference on the first turn I took; the truck nosed right in where I wanted it to go with A LOT less slop. So that was nice. Empty handling on the highway was virtually unchanged from what I could tell; she still rides pretty good. Wheel hop seems to be diminished, and bumps seem to be a little less severe; but that could be false perception. I had some bags of dirt and gardening supplies in the bed (maybe 300 lbs all together?) and the truck seemed to settle in just a little nicer than before, but that wasn't really enough load to make any solid determinations. If I had a load of dirt back there, or had the trailer hooked up, that might be a bit different, so I'll just have to wait and see...

So far, I'm very satisfied, but I'm anxious to hook up the trailer and setup the hitch (again...) to see if I got the results I was looking for. I'll put a fresh post in the towing forums after I do that and tow a little bit with it...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV