Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2017, 08:16 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Both of you guys - right down the road in Lancaster.

Roger
rkresge, Did you get your Jayco at Gayle Kline? We did.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:51 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
rkresge, Did you get your Jayco at Gayle Kline? We did.
Yes indeed. In fact, grew up right there in Mountville.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:06 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
It is amazing the number of folks that do not grease their hitch ball. I keep mine well greased and have never had any issues. I also grease the torsion bars where they attach to the hitch as well.

Golf5,
I am in Harrisburg also. Near Linglestown.
Common Sense. X2

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:48 AM   #104

While this appears to be a problem with the design and/or manufacturing of Jayco couplers, the rare times I've encountered the problem, I had to adjust the tongue jack so the coupler was neither putting any weight on the ball nor was it pulling up the ball. That would allow me to release the latch. Then I could jack the coupler off the ball. Putting a little tension on the hitch with the TV and setting the parking brake after chocking the trailer wheels or setting the trailer brakes before trying to release the latch sometimes also helped.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:11 PM   #105
Joy

Glad to see I am not the only Jayco owner with this issue. Thanks for the tips and tricks to help unhitch.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #106

Hitch won't release from ball

I don't grease my ball and still don't have an issue. On my second Jayco camper and have owned a few utility/enclosed trailers. If you chock the wheels and take the forward to backward pressure off there's no issue...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:44 PM   #107

When I owned my trailer I had the ball stick once or twice I cranked the jack up putting pressure on the ball then started the truck put it in gear and jiggled it carefully not too much pressure did not want to bend jack it always popped loose and I always greased it once a year after I cleaned the ball first
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #108

All of the Above

I have had to use everyone's suggestions over the past 2 yrs with our trailer. I grease the ball, I use chocking the tires, taking pressure off the ball by moving the truck forward or back a little, jumping or wiggling the hitch, installing a much higher capacity tongue jack, and what really helped was using my Dremel tool with the wire brush attachment to clean out the paint overspray on the inside of the hitch. They really gooped it up inside. Since we did that, it has been much much easier.

Former pilot to the rich and famous. Current domestic engineer, head chef, head laundry officer, head dog walker, and pilot volunteer. Lover of tacos and soccer
beechjetpilot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:20 AM   #109

I hate to beat this horse some more but...

We just purchased a 2018 29RKS. We love the trailer. However the 20 to 30 min of trying to un-hitch is getting old and........well I've ran out of curse words to use during the ordeal. I have lubed, and sanded the inside of the TT tongue. I have rocked the TV back and forth and feel the ball come free. But it still will not release. the last two times out we had to raise the jack until the ball falls out. this is not safe at all. the last time the jack foot fell off of the 6x6 block. And I think we burned up the electric jack motor. We have replaced the fuse and it still does not work. We used the hand crank to get TT back on the block.

When I flip up and slide back the lever on the tongue I have at least 3/8" gap from the ball to the clamp. If I reverse the TV. I can feel the ball break free from the front of the tongue. However the ball is now stuck in the back of the TT tongue and will not release. I have been towing trailers for 15 years and have never had this many issues.

Is there something I'm missing? We have the trailer stored 3 hours away and are not planning to bring the trailer back to the dealer until the end of the season. I can live the the crank on the jack until then. Unless there is something besides the fuse that I can do in the mean time.

Thanks in advanced....Cheers
OCBray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:03 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBray View Post
Is there something I'm missing? We have the trailer stored 3 hours away and are not planning to bring the trailer back to the dealer until the end of the season. I can live the the crank on the jack until then. Unless there is something besides the fuse that I can do in the mean time.
I think this repeats my previous post in this thread. With the 2 5/16" ball I've learned that the following 3 steps are required for unhitching:
  1. Lower the trailer tongue until it won't go any farther.
  2. Release the latch on the hitch, making sure you lift it up and slide it as far to the rear as it will go.
  3. Now raise the trailer jack until the ball releases.
If it still won't release, lower the trailer again and try gently shifting the tow vehicle. You might want to leave it in park without setting the brake, thus allowing it to shift a little bit. Then raise the trailer on its jack again until the ball releases.

Good luck!

Roger

P.S. The photo in my signature was taken on our first outing with the trailer. I was setting up alone, and cursing a blue streak while struggling to get the trailer unhitched. Finally called my dealer and asked what the heck is the trick to doing this???!?!?! They gave me the procedure above. It works.

P.P.S. Just re-read your post, think maybe you have an issue with the hitch/coupler. Sorry!

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #111

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
X2 with Roger, I haven't had a problem with hitching and un-hitching in over 50 years. Helped many others to tell them do it the proper way. There has to be pressure coupler to ball to release proper. And be sure proper lubrication.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #112

Quote:
I hate to beat this horse some more but...

We just purchased a 2018 29RKS. We love the trailer. However the 20 to 30 min of trying to un-hitch is getting old and........well I've ran out of curse words to use during the ordeal. I have lubed, and sanded the inside of the TT tongue. I have rocked the TV back and forth and feel the ball come free. But it still will not release. the last two times out we had to raise the jack until the ball falls out. this is not safe at all. the last time the jack foot fell off of the 6x6 block. And I think we burned up the electric jack motor. We have replaced the fuse and it still does not work. We used the hand crank to get TT back on the block.

When I flip up and slide back the lever on the tongue I have at least 3/8" gap from the ball to the clamp. If I reverse the TV. I can feel the ball break free from the front of the tongue. However the ball is now stuck in the back of the TT tongue and will not release. I have been towing trailers for 15 years and have never had this many issues.

Thanks in advanced....Cheers
It's amazing to me that this thread is still here and this is still an issue. Though it did get a little easier as it got a bit worn, you never could tell when it would release easily. One of the times, I had several experienced rvers helping me as I was in the car trying to "drift back" into the receiver and they used a crowbar! I'm a single female with not a lot of wt. to bounce and tug, it was a real issue. When I decided to change distribution/sway systems, I changed to a Hensley hitch. Best thing I've ever done both for this issue and for sway.
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #113

The simplest thing to do is to put the truck in neutral for a sec and then set the parking brake. This helps. If it still doesn’t detach then just back up a very little bit and try it.
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:49 AM   #114

At least it isn't just me who thinks this thing is a PITA to uncouple. I also found that this dolly won't work with this type of hitch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AHKG70Y...527749244&sr=1
Tim15856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:42 AM   #115

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. Our next trip out is the middle of June. I hope to have nice dry surface to lay on and inspect the tongue a little closer. I am seeing some uneven ware on the ball. Which could indicate some interference. This is our first weight distribution hitch. I have noticed that the ball does not sit completely vertical in the hitch. It is slightly pitched backwards. I am assuming this is normal. The dealer that installed the hitch has been around for over 40 years and has been operated by the same family for generations. I trust their work.

Next time out if the hitch sticks again. My plan is to remove the pin from the receiver and pull forward and release the hitch from the TV. Manipulating the hitch assembly by hand may help me understand the angle or orientation things need to be in to separate them. i will try and get some pictures of any findings and post them.

Again Thanks to all and .....Cheers.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:16 AM   #116

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions...
Next time out if the hitch sticks again. My plan is to remove the pin from the receiver and pull forward and release the hitch from the TV. Manipulating the hitch assembly by hand may help me understand the angle or orientation things need to be in to separate them. i will try and get some pictures of any findings and post them.

Again Thanks to all and .....Cheers.
I wouldn't recommend this method. There is plenty of frictioon on the hitch/ receiver combination and you might well pull the TT off the blocks/ jacks.

I had this same issue this weekend and am coming to a better understanding of what is going on.
Many in the thread have addressed the lubrication approach.
I tend to think it's more of a geometric issue. The trailer is a big lever pivoting at the fulcrum (axle(s)). Since it will swing in an arc as opposed to lift straight up, I believe the proper TT/TV orientation is with the TT locked in place and the TV pulled as far forward as the coupler alllows.
I chock the TT, Use the brake controller to hold the TT fast and put the TV in drive and let it move forward an inch or so. The ball is now in the front of coupler and it may resist a bit as the TT starts moving upwards, but then it pops off as it lifts up.
Once in a while, I have to jump up on the coupler and apply some downward force (jump up and down), but it usually comes off at that point.
Given the weights we're talking about, I can't see the absence of some lube keeping 5-6K lb trailer attached to a 4L lb truck.
deewaltguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:05 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewaltguy View Post
I chock the TT, Use the brake controller to hold the TT fast and put the TV in drive and let it move forward an inch or so. The ball is now in the front of coupler and it may resist a bit as the TT starts moving upwards, but then it pops off as it lifts up.
Once in a while, I have to jump up on the coupler and apply some downward force (jump up and down), but it usually comes off at that point.
Given the weights we're talking about, I can't see the absence of some lube keeping 5-6K lb trailer attached to a 4L lb truck.
I set the trailer and chock the wheels and raise the TT to remove the load distribution bars. I then lower the TT until jack just starts to pick up the foot. I then release the hitch pin and slide it back. I replace the pin to insure the rear clamp does not re engage the ball. At this point the ball is full seated forward in the tongue and there is approx 3/8" gap between the ball and rear clamp. One would think a well lubed ball would disengage when you raise the TT. I can run the jack all the way up with the weight of TV and it will not budge. I can jump on the bumper or hitch and it is solid as concrete. After lowering the TT again. I will put the TV in reverse and nudge the TT. I feel it clunk as it comes free. It takes some pressure to make that happen. Idle speed is not enough. Now the ball will be free and in the back of the tongue. But it will not release. I put the TV in drive and move slightly forward keeping some pressure on the TV brakes. Now the ball seems centered and should be free. It is at this point when you raise the TT jack to the upper limit they will separate. This is violent. The TV hitch will fall 6" to 8". and the jack is maxed out.

I think the difference is the ball on mine seems to be jammed tight in the front of the tongue. It may be some paint over spray or other debris that may be interfering with the fit.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:24 AM   #118

Quote:
I think the difference is the ball on mine seems to be jammed tight in the front of the tongue. It may be some paint over spray or other debris that may be interfering with the fit.

This is why I pull forward. Now the ball is in the back of the coupler.
I'm thinkingf it would have to be a lot of paint overspray to hold up a TT, no?
deewaltguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:00 AM   #119

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
In a perfect level situation a ball disconnect shouldn't be a problem. It is usual with angles and slight in cline. But either way the truck or the TT has to move for sliding out.
And if you try to release the latch under pressure even if it feels the latch is moving, forget it will not happen. I have seen newbies so frustrated with a large hammer, I just went there let the Jack down and then release. In the over 50 years of camping I never had problems with disconnect. If of level or at angles some stubbornness .....yes.
So when you look in your coupler and everything moves easy.......look at your own procedure.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #120

When a hitch of mine hangs up I jack it up and jump on the bumper. That usually works for me
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote