Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2015, 06:11 PM   #71
That fork thing sounds very dangerous to me. Vaneta, yes, I have had that issue many times. The only safe way to unhitch is to make sure there is no tension, or the least amount possible, before undoing bars and lifting off the ball. When in a "v" where the camper is higher than the tv I have even backed the TV onto boards to reduce tension from the odd angle. Once you have one "pop" on you once, you won't want it to happen again.

djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:57 PM   #72
I have the same problem with my 2014 White Hawk 27RBOK. The first time was a bear to decouple. I had never had that problem before Jayco. What I learned is to grease the ball well and I sometimes have to jump on my bumper a little to decouple.

WhiteHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #73
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post

My solution thus far is to use the ebrake to hold the truck while decoupling.

I assumed that this is a given for any trailer couple or uncouple??

As a kid, I helped my dad back the car to the trailer and prided myself on getting the ball right under the hitch just perfectly every time. Only to have my dad put the car in park, take his foot off the brake, get out of the car and notice that I was off by 2" - all because the car rolled.

I always use the parking brake! My kids and my camera get the ball just right, I set the brake, get out, then drop the hitch onto the ball.

when unhooking, I get the trailer backed in the spot just right, leveled side to side. Set the brake, then set the chocks on all four wheels. the most movement I have ever seen is about 1/2" when I unhooked.

- use the tongue jack to take tension off the wd bars.
- unhook wd bars
- lower tongue jack to take tension off the ball and hitch.
- unlatch ball
- raise tongue jack to release ball from hitch.
- remove safety chains, power cord, brake cable.

tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:48 AM   #74
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
... It looks like a big 2 prong fork. You slide it under the coupling and raise it up, the trailer raises up and comes off the ball. Cost about $20.00 but worth ever penny.
Leverage in the correct area sounds reasonable. Just be aware of pinch points for your fingers in case something slips.

Does the tool look something like this?

Name:  OTC6533.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  5.2 KB

16" Tie Rod Separator

VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #75
Originally Posted by BCguy View Post
I thought there was another post on this so I did search but couldn't find it so here is the problem:

The hitch on my 2015 26RKS is an absolute bear to uncouple. It just will NOT release without a great deal of effort to get it perfectly aligned and even then it does not want to let go. I've tried all the tips about backing into the chocks to loosen etc. but it is always a nightmare to release. I've had many trailers hooked up and this is the first one that gives me so much trouble.

Anything particular to the type of coupler that Jayco uses that might help me understand why this is happening? Any suggestions appreciated.
Are you using a load leveling hitch? I had a problem releasing my hitch off the ball until I removed the leveling bars off my load leveling hitch. It worked for me.
Ricolip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #76
Originally Posted by scottraycraft View Post
what did you lube COUPLER with?
Ive never done this with past trailers...only the ball, with the same grease I used to lube the easy lube bearings...

maybe some degreaser and a silicone lube in the COUPLER would help?
I used a silicon spray lube. Just a couple seconds worth as the Andersen Hitch says not to grease the ball. With the Andersen system, the ball moves with the coupler as the sway control is built into the ball/shank/brake in the hitch. We just returned from a 10 day trip and had no issues disconnecting at CG or on return home. (TT is stored in our driveway).

Happy Camping
'07 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD XC LB SRW 4X2.
Powerstop Brakes on all corners.
'15 JayFlight 28BHBE Elite Fibreglass
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:12 AM   #77
So, I lubed the ball and coupler this past trip with white lithium spray. No more hangups, and more importantly no more noise
Craig T. Bailey
Hudson, NH
2015 Jayflight 32BHDS
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4x4 Z71
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #78
I have the same issue! I will try some grease on mine to see if it helps. When towing my Popup I could move the trailer around a bit and get it unhitched. There is no moving this thing by hand!

I thought it may have something to do with it being new and a little tight.
Jflyboym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:23 AM   #79
You may have to back up further with the TV then you think. The hitch has quite a hook on the front of it on my TT. Once I figured that out, it was smooth sailing.
2016 Jayco Eagle 330RSTS = "Madame Maxime"
Maxxis M8008 E rated Tires and 16" Wheel Upgrade
Dual A/C 15K BTU, 14K Equalizer WD hitch with SC
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #80
I've seen a vast improvement unhitching after a season of use. I do use white grease on the ball, and now it disconnects much easier after some wear-in.

Jolly Mon

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote