Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #1
Hitch won't release from ball

I thought there was another post on this so I did search but couldn't find it so here is the problem:

The hitch on my 2015 26RKS is an absolute bear to uncouple. It just will NOT release without a great deal of effort to get it perfectly aligned and even then it does not want to let go. I've tried all the tips about backing into the chocks to loosen etc. but it is always a nightmare to release. I've had many trailers hooked up and this is the first one that gives me so much trouble.

Anything particular to the type of coupler that Jayco uses that might help me understand why this is happening? Any suggestions appreciated.

BCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
Do you have greese on the ball and coupling? And many times if a trailer is not level can make it difficult.

2015 GrayHawk 29MV/Toad - 2015 Frontier

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead"! - Thomas Paine
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
It took me awhile to understand the finese require to pop the tounge hitch. Jayco's lever slides back and up. This gave me trouble as I was trying to just flip it up. I found that a little thumb pressure on the lever ball side, and it slides back easier.
2008 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
2015 264BHW
Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
We have an 284BHS EAGLE and encountered the same issue. It was next to impossible to get the TT off of the TV. Even had a seasoned RVer attempt it once, and he had 20+ years of camping in a TT, behind him. He could not believe it.

What we found works is we leave the TT chocks under the wheels, and put the truck in neutral without applying the brakes. Most of the time the TV/TT will disengage when the tongue is raised as the truck will move either front or back a little bit. One or twice since then, it has given us a problem and what we do is raise the tongue so that there is no pressure on the TV and I can either get on the TV bumper and get it to move up or down or move the back of the TV sideways while activating the tongue jack.

Hope this works... I am sure that there will be other members that have systems that work for them.. you just have to give them all a try and see what works best for you

2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS
250Watt Grape Solar Panel, MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller
1500 Watt Ramsond PSI, 2 Trojan T145 Batteries (260Ah)
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album http://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
Not sure what you mean by backing into the chocks. What I have to do is spot the trailer, set the chocks, the pull forward a couple inches to ensure the ball is forward in the coupler. If the ball is pushing to the rear of the coupler then the coupler has a hard time fully disengaging.
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #6
Whenever I see a thread about this I wonder if the ball is back in coupler. Like clubhouse, I make sure the ball is in the front part of the coupler and have never had an issue. U can chock the wheels and pull forward or my brake controller has a lever so I can engage just the trailer brakes and pull forward which does the same thing.
2017 JayFlight 28BHBE
2014 JayFlight Swift 264BH (Sold)
2007 GMC 2500 Sierra Classic Crew Cab LBZ Duramax / 6spd Allison
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
There doesn't seem to be one clear-cut answer. It can be one thing or a combination of them.

One thing I didn't see mentioned thus far was to shake the tongue of the TT. I always do this when unhitching by alternately pushing then pulling the top of the electric or manual tongue jack sideways as the tongue is raised up, off the ball.
Of course this is after...
- the coupler lock is fully released (the locking lever is up and to the rear)
- the trailer is chocked so it is NOT rolling
- the TV is held from NOT rolling back toward the TT (with the TT chocked, put the TV into gear to IDLE gently forward then use the parking brake to hold the TV - using 'Park' by itself will let the TV move slightly forward or back) *

* If there are 2 people, with one person shaking and raising the tongue, the other (with the engine idling) moves between reverse, neutral, and drive.

Some trailers were more difficult than others, but the above always worked for me.

Hope that helps.
Sherm & Terry w/rescues Steve (std Poodle) & Eydie (min Schnauzer)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Camped: 102 nights 2015, 90 nights 2016)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, Lariat, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, auto., Camper pkg.
oldmanAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
Also check the coupler for excessive paint or powder coat. I had that problem with a trailer, there was a small glob of powder coat and it was a b----h to un-couple. Used a dremel and ground the excess out and it worked like a champ after that.
PINNACLE 2015 38FLSA. aka: "Roam Sweet Home"
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
Gee have pulled many things in past 30 years and I've never had the issues that I do with our 264BHW. Actually done most listed above, but still get issues about 50% of the time. To me just shouldn't be an issue if hookup is clean which I believe doing best can everytime...

Larry J
2015 SLX 264BHW
2007 Ram 1500 5.7L - 3.92, Equalizer 1000, Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Jayco Eagle 10 ST RD
Keystone Sprinter M-380BWS
Rockwood Freedom 1640TD
Jayco SLX 154BH
Taurus 26' current hunting shack
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
I also had a miserable time uncoupling when our TT was new and found the suggestions above worked well, especially lubricating the ball. Similar to Grumpy, we also had some paint in the coupler and getting rid of that also made a big difference

Rob & Kelly, Bella & Brady (Miniature Schnauzers)
2016 Eagle 323LKTS
2016 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2015 White Hawk 29REKS Summit Edition (Traded)
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote