Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
From the picture (and it's really hard to tell from a pic) it looks like you might need to tighten your sway device a bit. I see no wear or marking on the slide bar. That may be because it's new or it may be because you don't have it set tight enough. There are several ways to adjust and you might want to read up on setting the sway control properly. Me, I just tighten it down a lot and try it. If that 's not enough I tighten it more. Others may have a more scientific method.

I think you are at a point where you really need to hook up and drag the rig to a CAT scale for some real weights. If you are transferring most of the front axle weight back to the front axle that's about all you can expect out of a WDH. CAT scale and gas to get there is a lot cheaper than a new hitch.
I agree here, before making the leap to buy another wdh I would try another drive with tightening up on the sway bar as I do not see any wear marks on your picture either. I would always go hand tight on mine then add another quarter or half turn.
Maybe you could give it a try for a trip to the scales.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:53 PM   #102

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Lukenick1; yes it would be an easy job for me to do. It only would take me a couple of hours. Tell hubby to move to Montana then you can take a holidays with hubby and the kids in my yard in BC, while I do the work what needs to be done. I am still modifying a few things on my Jay Feather the way they should have done it in the first place. I always help out neighbors and a lot of people who know how to find me.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC View Post
I agree here, before making the leap to buy another wdh I would try another drive with tightening up on the sway bar as I do not see any wear marks on your picture either. I would always go hand tight on mine then add another quarter or half turn.
Maybe you could give it a try for a trip to the scales.
I was told by the dealer to tighten up the sway bar by turning the(on off) handle. Once I read the set up instructions someone linked for me to the Pro Series I see it is the bolt I need to turn. I got my wrench out to turn it, it was very tight to begin with. Hope that helped some. Should I expect it to be even noisier now?
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:48 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
I was told by the dealer to tighten up the sway bar by turning the(on off) handle. Once I read the set up instructions someone linked for me to the Pro Series I see it is the bolt I need to turn. I got my wrench out to turn it, it was very tight to begin with. Hope that helped some. Should I expect it to be even noisier now?
I was actually talking about tightening with the handle but I too see in the Pro-Series manual they suggest adjusting tension by turning the the nut 1/4 turn at a time. You still have to "turn on" the tension on the sway bar by turning the handle until it's tight. You can play around with how tight you apply the tension with the handle. Play around with it and find what works for you. Sometimes I would stop and put another turn on the handle if it got windy out.
And yes sometimes there is a some noise, I found mine was noisier when it rained.
I went through the exact same issues with my old set-up. It took me quite a few tries but I eventually tuned it all in. Don't give up, you will get it and then it's just routine hitch/unhitch after that.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Lukenick1; yes it would be an easy job for me to do. It only would take me a couple of hours. Tell hubby to move to Montana then you can take a holidays with hubby and the kids in my yard in BC, while I do the work what needs to be done. I am still modifying a few things on my Jay Feather the way they should have done it in the first place. I always help out neighbors and a lot of people who know how to find me.
I wish ALJO, you are very kind!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:35 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC View Post
I was actually talking about tightening with the handle but I too see in the Pro-Series manual they suggest adjusting tension by turning the the nut 1/4 turn at a time. You still have to "turn on" the tension on the sway bar by turning the handle until it's tight. You can play around with how tight you apply the tension with the handle. Play around with it and find what works for you. Sometimes I would stop and put another turn on the handle if it got windy out.
And yes sometimes there is a some noise, I found mine was noisier when it rained.
I went through the exact same issues with my old set-up. It took me quite a few tries but I eventually tuned it all in. Don't give up, you will get it and then it's just routine hitch/unhitch after that.
Thanks JayC. I think the problem with me is that I am coming from a Pop up being towed by a minivan so I am having a hard time figuring out what is normal or not. I have towed my TT 4 times so far and every single time i white knuckle it. I need more time to get used to all the noises and feelings. I feel like I need a tranquilizer every time I tow LOL
Old 04-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #107

Can anyone tell me what to do to control the dolphin up and down motion?
Old 04-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #108

Do you have that problem virtually all the time or just some roads and some speeds?

If it is virtually all the time,
I'd suspect your TV front and rear shock absorbers and, possibly, your tires/or tire inflation. Another possibility is that your TT is too heavily loaded rearward of the trailer axle. Are there fresh water or waste water tanks to rear of the trailer axle that are not empty?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Do you have that problem virtually all the time or just some roads and some speeds?

If it is virtually all the time,
I'd suspect your TV front and rear shock absorbers and, possibly, your tires/or tire inflation. Another possibility is that your TT is too heavily loaded rearward of the trailer axle. Are there fresh water or waste water tanks to rear of the trailer axle that are not empty?
Some roads and speeds. Is that to be expected?
Old 04-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #110

If it is some roads and some speeds, it is likely you've encountered a 'harmonic' between the road and your unit. Changing your speed is the easiest way to stop it. Very likely by changing your TV shock absorbers or changing how your TV and TT are loaded will also change it; try adding water to tanks forward of the TT axle.

If you haven't increased the air pressure in your TV tires yet, try that too. That will stiffen the sidewalls and change the frequency of the tires 'squishing' down and rebounding.

Be aware that if you change something to get around a harmonic, you may encounter it again on a different road or speed.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote