Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2016, 11:58 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
snip..... He called me and told me I need to come back with my truck and trailer and they need to make it right, they said it is wrong and needs to be set up properly.....snip
That's good news..., and as I mentioned earlier if the proper adjustment doesn't result in adequate ground clearance for you, then a trunnion bar style WDH may merit consideration (dealer even exchange?).

Let us know how your dealer visit turns out.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:35 AM   #62

Todays the day! Stay tuned........
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:47 AM   #63

I'm home!

Ok just like I thought I drove all the way over to the dealer 45 minutes away just for them to tell me that my set up is fine and I would have to stick with that drop to keep the trailer level. I was not happy. The only thing they did do for me was switch out the chain bracket to a better one with more of a hook to hold onto the chain link so it's not slipping off. The one that came with the system I have only has a small shallow grove and the chain link is constantly slipping off when I am trying to lock the bracket. Because the bracket can hold the chain link better, he now has me hooking up on the 3rd link (instead of the 2nd) which gives me a little more clearance but now the spring bar bows upwards. I wasn't sure it was supposed to do that but he assured me it's supposed to bend and it's perfectly fine. I am attaching pics for you all to see. In the end it would be up to me to purchase a different weight dist system which I don't have extra money for at this time. I will have to deal with what I have for now. So disappointing, but on the brighter side my baby is home and I cannot wait to clean her up and go camping!!!

Old 03-29-2016, 01:38 PM   #64

I don't think you have anything to worry about. The height of the hitch is governed by the trailer's frame and coupler, which you cannot control. That means that everyone who owns this year/model of trailer has the same ground clearance. I doubt if everyone went out and purchased a new WDH just to accommodate it.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #65

Hitch looks fine to me. The bars bending a bit is normal.
The best way to tell if it is adjusted properly is to measure the weight on the front axle empty and hooked up. If they are close to the same then all is well.

Cheers
Old 03-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #66

Since you are at it, you may consider the tech. advice on this article.
http://www.rvhotlinecanada.com/deale...unt-angle/169/

http://www.canamrv.ca/blog/post/hitc...izing-hitches/

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:07 PM   #67

Your setup looks fine in the picture. I had the exact setup and issues with a husky round bar system. With the bottom mount coupler it made things difficult but I was able to adjust it and make it work just fine. If your getting proper weight transfer back to the TV then you shouldn't have any problems.
I have read many posts and talked with different people who recommended a trunnion bar hitch instead of round bars with a bottom mount coupler so I just recently picked up a 4pt Equalizer hitch with sway control. I have yet to take the trailer out of winter storage to install it so I am unable to give a comparison yet.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #68

Thank you.......I want to let you all know of one last concern I have and please let me know if its a legitimate concern.

My truck has a factory installed hitch/receiver. 2001 Tundra. Not sure what the hitch is rated for weight and towing we are the second owners and hitch was already in place when we bought it.
I know what my TV's towing capacity is but does that mean the hitch has the same capacity? The shank I have is rated to tow up to 14,000lbs and weighs so much. I can barely lift it myself. Is this all too heavy for my Tundra hitch receiver? My TT tongue weight is 515 plus propane tanks plus battery plus 11" shank plus head/ball. Is this all safe?
Old 03-30-2016, 06:31 AM   #69

Your receiver should be fine up to around 1000lbs of tongue weight while using a weight distribution hitch and 500lbs without (Weight carrying mode). As long as it is not rusting off you should be fine.
Does the receiver not have the sticker on it anymore? There is usually one that is visible if you look that will have the receiver ratings on it.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:11 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
Your receiver should be fine up to around 1000lbs of tongue weight while using a weight distribution hitch and 500lbs without (Weight carrying mode). As long as it is not rusting off you should be fine.
Does the receiver not have the sticker on it anymore? There is usually one that is visible if you look that will have the receiver ratings on it.
Nope no stickers it's too old.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:13 AM   #71

If your finances allow I would go with a trunnion type WDH with built in sway control.

Easier to insert the bars and gets you more ground clearance on the bars.

Here's another option. More money than others but looks clean and simple.

Robot Check

Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:00 PM   #72

I know nothing about equalizers and weight distribution etc etc (that's why I bought another 5th) and the newly adjusted set up looks ok to me. What I'm impressed with is all the great help you guys have given this gal!!! I'm sometimes afraid to ask about certain things and worry a lot - what the heck is a 66 year old deaf woman doing hauling around a 5th wheel. Actually, if I had started reading the forum before I bought the new one, well, I might not have. I didn't really know before just how much I don't know and how many situations I don't have the knowledge, skills or tools to fix. Got my cell phone and insurance and credit cards though.
Max & Mocha May - Chesapeake Bay Retrievers
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
snip......Because the bracket can hold the chain link better, he now has me hooking up on the 3rd link (instead of the 2nd) which gives me a little more clearance but now the spring bar bows upwards. I wasn't sure it was supposed to do that but he assured me it's supposed to bend and it's perfectly fine.......snip
It appears the spring bar ground clearance is now maximized based on your TV/TT combination using the round bar WDH. The adjustment went from your original 8 links "under tension" to 7 links "under tension", which also transfers a little more weight to the TV's front suspension.

The slight upward angle of the spring bar tail is fine and won't effect it's operation/movement.

Just a FYI...., as you engage your snap-up brackets with the supplied pipe handle, don't remove the pipe handle our your grip on it until the safety pin is put in place. In most cases the snap-up bracket will stay in place once engaged (prior to safety pin placement), but, Murphy's Law has a way of coming into play

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #74

Thank you everyone for the help and great advice. I appreciate this forum and you all!!! I have learned a lot!!! I did notice not so much looseness in the steering once we went down another link so that was a good thing too I also went to Home Depot and bought a 30" pipe for more leverage. Excited to camp in a couple weeks!
Old 04-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #75

Hey guys........back again!!!! So I want you to know I am seriously considering a different hitch. After driving it and reading more info I think I need better control. I feel like even going down one more link I still feel my steering seems loose and I feel a lot of movement with trucks passing and wind. Almost like my front end floats. I know I am at my max with the chains because as it is now the spring bar is bowing. Can you all help me pick the best hitch for my set up? I know it has to at least be a trunnion style because of the lack of ground clearance. Please refer to my pics in this post. Some of you have recommended the Equalizer, is that the best for getting more weight distributed to the front axles and less sway? Of course I would prefer to save some money but want something to make things feel safer and more in control.

Thanks again for all your help and patience with me.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #76

The bow is what is engaging the load transfer to the front wheels.

I currently have the equalizer brand wdh. I like it! If you decide to change wdh's make sure to size it correctly.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #77

Do you know the weight rating on the bars you are currently using and what your tongue weight is?
Old 04-08-2016, 09:09 PM   #78

Before I spent the money on a new WDH and anti-sway, I'd do/check three things at the current settings:

First...
1) Is the trailer level or slightly nose down?
2) Are the tires on the TV and TT inflated to the maximum shown on their sidewalls?
Then...
3) Weigh the TV and TT so the amount of weight on the front tires is KNOWN, the TONGUE weight is KNOWN, and the weight on the axles is KNOWN. IMO, just continuing to change the WDH hitch without knowing the weights is not a good plan.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:13 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
Do you know the weight rating on the bars you are currently using and what your tongue weight is?
Weight rating on the bars is 750 and tongue weight from specs is 515
Old 04-08-2016, 09:15 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Before I spent the money on a new WDH and anti-sway, I'd do/check three things at the current settings:

First...
1) Is the trailer level or slightly nose down?
2) Are the tires on the TV and TT inflated to the maximum shown on their sidewalls?
Then...
3) Weigh the TV and TT so the amount of weight on the front tires is KNOWN, the TONGUE weight is KNOWN, and the weight on the axles is KNOWN. IMO, just continuing to change the WDH hitch without knowing the weights is not a good plan.
Trailer is nose up with it being on the 3rd link. He had me set it that way because it was unloaded. Said it will leave room for when I load it. I did inflate the TT tires to the max but not the TV yet. I will do that before I tow it next. I am planning to measure the wheel wells unloaded then loaded to see what I come up with. I am still learning.