Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #1

Question Hot and Cold Water

We purchased a New White Hawk 33 BHBS a couple weeks ago and went for our first trip this weekend. It was cold so I only hooked up to water one afternoon to take showers. When we were done I "re-winterized" it.

However, as I was waiting for the water to warm up I found that the water from the "hot" tap in both sinks and shower was ice cold and I had hot water coming from the "cold" taps. Even had hot water coming out in the toilet. (Don't ask how I know, lol)

I know that the water heater bypass was closed and the outside shower was off. I'm assuming that somewhere the lines are crossed.

Is that the case and if not, what else could it be? If they are crossed, where may that be and can I fix it myself? I know its covered under warranty but its 70 miles to the nearest service center. HELP!
Old 01-26-2015, 02:32 PM   #2

We also had quite a drive to the company that sold us our TT, so based on 3 'shake-down' trips, we delivered it and a list of "fixes" - including one that was a safety issue (as it sounds yours might be) ~ they kept the TT a couple of weeks and then called when it was ready and we did a walk-thru. IMHO, better that then to invalidate your warranty by doing the work yourself.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #3

Racer, it sounds like the hot/cold lines got reversed during manufacture. You could squeak by for a while pretending you are on a caravan holiday in Australia and remember to do everything backwards. The only difference would be the toilet and I don't think flushing with hot water would harm anything.
I'm with Hattie, a dealer should fix this. I expect some of the plumbing around the water heater will have to be cut out (that's where I expect the mistake was made) and replaced to straighten this out and better a dealer than you just to insure the warranty is intact.
Good luck with this and let us know how you get it sorted out.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #4

Not sure but if have three valves at the bypass I think you have opened all three and that will let the water cross over. This will cause you to get hot or warm water from the cold water side. Make sure that there is no air in your hot water tank.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjahbob View Post
Not sure but if have three valves at the bypass I think you have opened all three and that will let the water cross over. This will cause you to get hot or warm water from the cold water side. Make sure that there is no air in your hot water tank.
Nah, I know I had the middle one closed. The water on the hot tap was ice cold. You could tell it wasn't mixed. I've got a call into Jayco and they sent it to an engineer to get me a schematic of the plumbing.

I also had a leak at the bottom of the slide in transit. (It was raining) Found that the bottom seal lip was not even in contact with the slide at the bottom rear. Looked good in the front, had a half inch gap at the rear. Its in the wheel well too so it didn't take much. Must have built mine on a Friday. Lol
Old 01-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #6

Also, I forgot to mention, the folks at Jayco said that if it was something too difficult, they would work with the 'mom and pop' place in my town to do the warranty work. Even though they are not a Jayco dealer. I thought that was first class. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:40 AM   #7

I missed that you had hot water coming out in the toilet. Good luck it should be pretty simple. Make sure that you know that everything is authorized by Jayco they are really bad with non Jayco dealers.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerBrown93 View Post
Also, I forgot to mention, the folks at Jayco said that if it was something too difficult, they would work with the 'mom and pop' place in my town to do the warranty work. Even though they are not a Jayco dealer. I thought that was first class. I'll let you know what I find out.
Another "tip 'o the lid" to Jayco for stepping up. Let us know how things progress.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
33 bhbs, cold is hot, hot is cold, pipes reversed