Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #1

Hot water heater

How many people leave there hot water on electric, while they are camping. I turn both off at night back on when we wake up. I use the propane to heat fast. Then sometimes I will turn on the electric. For during the day. Wondering what you guys do

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #2

I always leave electric on overnight, that way there is hot water ASAP in the morning. I will flip on the gas too if there are more than one shower taking place back to back then turn the gas off after the last shower ends. Electric is slower to heat the water but it is cheaper than gas if you have already paid for a site with electrical hook ups. Simple economics drives my decision.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjohneyre View Post
I always leave electric on overnight, that way there is hot water ASAP in the morning. I will flip on the gas too if there are more than one shower taking place back to back then turn the gas off after the last shower ends. Electric is slower to heat the water but it is cheaper than gas if you have already paid for a site with electrical hook ups. Simple economics drives my decision.
x2
Black tank Quick-e Flush, MaxxAir Vent cover, TV bracket and LCD TV, added Slideout awning, bunk ladder, added socket and reading light to top bunk, added bathroom fan switch near light switch, insulated all externally accessible storage, sealed pass through storage from interior of trailer, LED lights throughout, added LED lights to storage compartments
EnricoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #4

x3
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #5

I turn everything off at night because the stupid red light in the rocker switches lights up the whole inside of the trailer like a ho okers nightlight. The light on the microwave, radio display and propane detector are annoying as well. I like it DARK when I sleep.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #6

I don't have electric, but I shut off the propane at night. I feel slightly uncomfortable with the burner below my head even though I know it's safe.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #7

Me too mcfarmall! I found these handy items to block out those annoying LEDs..."Light Dims".
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/eeb6/

According to ThinkGeek, here are the reasons to use them:
TOO MANY LEDS: If your living room is beginning to resemble the control panel of a spacecraft, you might need Light Dims.
PC LOAD LETTER?: If your "favorite" gadget has a blinking light that never stops blinking no matter what you do, you might need Light Dims.
NIGHT SHIFT: If your blackout curtains keep out the sun, but your electronics keep your room aglow like Christmas, you might need Light Dims.
LASIK: If you're constantly cursing, "The halos! The halos!" You might need Light Dims.
TRAVEL: Why in the name of Thor do hotel alarm clocks have such bright numbers? If you've ever unplugged the hotel alarm clock, and then overslept, you might need Light Dims. (Yes, they're removable with no sticky residue!)
ZOMBIES: If you want to remain unseen in the woods at night (and charge your iPhone with a solar charger by day, 'natch!), you might need Light Dims.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #8

Where we stay for the winter electricity is cheap so the heater stays on. The last park we stayed at power was expensive so we used propane and shut if off at night because it was so noisy. You just have to do what makes you comfortable.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #9

Thanks SimeralKing...those Light Dims are a great idea!!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
I turn everything off at night because the stupid red light in the rocker switches lights up the whole inside of the trailer like a ho okers nightlight. The light on the microwave, radio display and propane detector are annoying as well. I like it DARK when I sleep.
We are the opposite! We actually have a night light we turn on if we have an electric site. Of course I work shift work so my best sleeping happens during the daylight. Plus we have a black lab who sleeps right in the aisle to the bathroom so we need to be able to see him. As for leaving the WH on...just like at home, why shut it off?

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #11

I turn on both propane and electric when we first arrive at campsite to get the water hot faster, then the propane stays off for the rest of the stay. Electric stays on all the time. Little red lights don't bother me or the DW at all.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote