Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #1

How do I protect the water lines from freezing?

We just picked up our new Jay Flight 26RLS a week ago Friday. Had the walk through. Checked all the water lines at the time to see if they worked or leaked. Dealer put water in the tanks so we can see if all worked. All went well.
We were to head out and camp for 4 nights over Thanksgiving but DD came down with strep and then had a bad reaction to the medication so all was cancelled and we stayed home. Now to today. We are expected to get freezing temps tonight and maybe tomorrow night here in AZ. We depressurized the water lines but how will we know if all will make it through the freezing temps. Our unit has the thermal package (what ever that will protect). Should we put an electric heater inside the unit to protect the inside lines? We do want to maybe try to get out this weekend because temps should be in the 70's then. We are concerned about the nighttime freezing temps. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #2

there are lots of good post on here for winterizing here is one
http://jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=1325
also use your search button and type (Winterize)
Robert
robert421960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #3

Here is another method to winterize.

RV Winterizing - Antifreeze Method

You will need 2-4 gals. of RV antifreeze depending on the size of your RV.

1. If you have any inline water filters remove and bypass before starting.
2. Drain the fresh water holding tank, close the valve.
3. Drain and flush the gray and black holding tanks. If your RV doesn’t have a built in tank flushing system clean the black tank out with a wand, or use a product like Flush King that allows you to clean both the black and gray tanks, close the valves.
4. Drain the water heater. Remove the drain plug and open the pressure relief valve, close the valve and replace drain plug. CAUTION (never drain the water heater when it is hot or under pressure)
5. By-pass the water heater. If you do not have a by-pass kit installed the water heater will fill up with antifreeze before it goes through the water lines, wasting six gallons of antifreeze.
6. If you have a water pump converter kit use it, if not disconnect the inlet side of the water pump (the line coming from the fresh water holding tank). Connect a piece of clear tubing to the inlet side of the pump and put the other end into a one gallon container of non-toxic RV antifreeze.
7. Turn the water pump on and pressurize the system. Slowly open each faucet one at a time until antifreeze appears. (Replace the antifreeze container as required).
Repeat this process on all faucets. Don’t forget the inside and outside shower, if equipped.
Flush the toilet, open and close the low point drains, until antifreeze appears.
8. Turn the water pump off.
9. Pour a cupful of antifreeze down each drain. Pour a couple of cups in the toilet and flush into the holding tank.
10. If your water heater has an electric heating element make sure it is turned off. This will protect the element if the unit is plugged in while being stored.
11. Make sure all the faucets are closed.
Consult your owner manuals for winterizing icemakers and washing machines.
The unit is winterized.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #4

You should have no problems as it will not get that cold inside your rig, but if it makes you feel better dump all your water and leave your drain plugs open.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #5

Open your low point drains.. then open all the taps.. dont forget the outside shower .. and drain the water heater.. after it has cooled down and you should be good... remember to do freezing damage you need +25F temps for over one whole day
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maromeo View Post
We just picked up our new Jay Flight 26RLS a week ago Friday. Had the walk through. Checked all the water lines at the time to see if they worked or leaked. Dealer put water in the tanks so we can see if all worked. All went well.
We were to head out and camp for 4 nights over Thanksgiving but DD came down with strep and then had a bad reaction to the medication so all was cancelled and we stayed home. Now to today. We are expected to get freezing temps tonight and maybe tomorrow night here in AZ. We depressurized the water lines but how will we know if all will make it through the freezing temps. Our unit has the thermal package (what ever that will protect). Should we put an electric heater inside the unit to protect the inside lines? We do want to maybe try to get out this weekend because temps should be in the 70's then. We are concerned about the nighttime freezing temps. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Mary Anne
Mary Anne,

Your unit has the Polar Package. Next time you run into this situation and it is only going to freeze at night, simply fire off your furnace and it will keep your lines warm. I would drain the water heater and leave the plug out though unless you are going to leave it on as well to keep the water hot.

I just had a customer go through low teens for 3 days by simply leaving the furnace on. When she brought the unit in yesterday to winterize, all was peachy.
cciparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #7

Wes,

Thank you for all the help. All went well. We did turn the furnace on and leave it on through the night. We were planning on going camping over Thanksgiving but that didn't work out but we were able to make it out for 3 days this past weekend. All went well. No major issues. No freezing temps for now. It was kind of a unusual for temps to be that low this early in the season for us with us almost ready to head out for a bit. We love the new TT and hope to use it often.

Thank you again.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #8

hey wes,..i have a question on this subject,..i have a 29 bhs 2010,..i pulled the plug on wtr htr,did the low point drains,climbed into the area UNDER the bunk beds,and drained that,..question is,...when i turned the low point drain,left sd near front,nothing came out...or ,very little...this drains the water tank,and under sink lines??
jwb023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #9

I have this camper,at port oconnor,texas.....i go dn about once a month,..i guess i have to go thru this *(^&^$%^ everytime?Camper has the under belly lining..
Old 12-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb023 View Post
hey wes,..i have a question on this subject,..i have a 29 bhs 2010,..i pulled the plug on wtr htr,did the low point drains,climbed into the area UNDER the bunk beds,and drained that,..question is,...when i turned the low point drain,left sd near front,nothing came out...or ,very little...this drains the water tank,and under sink lines??
Are you talking about the white drain located on the outside of the trailer?
Old 12-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #11

yes,..the one w/a valve,only one,left front,prob near wtr tank...
Old 12-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #12

Quote:
yes,..the one w/a valve,only one,left front,prob near wtr tank...
That is your tank drain. Your actual Low Points should be towards the rear which I believe you said you had already opened. Basically, you find the 2 tubes hanging down below the sticker that says Low Point Drain. Follow the tubes straight up the wall and imagine where you are at inside. Then go inside and look in the cabinetry for the valves. There will be one for cold and one for hot.

I don't know what the temps get like where you have the unit, but it is always better safe than sorry.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #13

I would use an electric heater. No sense in using your propane. To be sure the heat gets to all areas, I would open any cabinets or compartments that have pipes running through them. Sounds like maybe you could use your rig year round? If thats the case, I would even do a full fledged winterizing. Just make sure that heater stays on by checking it every couple of days.

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by villain2000 View Post
I would use an electric heater. No sense in using your propane. To be sure the heat gets to all areas, I would open any cabinets or compartments that have pipes running through them. Sounds like maybe you could use your rig year round? If thats the case, I would even do a full fledged winterizing. Just make sure that heater stays on by checking it every couple of days.
The trailer has the polar package in it. The piping is heated by the furnace in the trailer. Electric heaters won't always take care of keeping the piping from freezing. $27.00 worth of propane saves $800.00 in plumbing repairs.

Just food for thought.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #15

Quote:
On my new Jayco, the low point drain valves have a small snap spring that I had to pull and pull the valve up to get anything out of the valves. I have no idea why they would put valves on there that you have to take apart to use them.
rbrumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #16

We don't have the Polar Package but we don't drop below 32degrees more than a couple days in January. Odd weather here last month though as we had a couple of nights where we dropped to 30 degrees in NOvember. We put our furnace on for the night and that worked well for the short term
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote