Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #1

How do you keep any and spiders out of the trailer?

We generally camp for two weeks at a time, asphalt pads, rear stabilizer jacks will be on 2x6 in grass, front ones are on the asphalt pad. I use a ant and roach spray (black flag type) to spray around the bottom foot of each of the stabilizers and jack stand to help prevent the unwanted creepy crawlers from getting in but it sometimes freaks the wife out when she gets them in the camper.
Anything you guys do to keep them out?
And yes, I do realize that we are camping in the woods. And creepy things live in the woods.
Any ideas?
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #2

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:49 PM   #3

Leave her home ! And if that doesn't work, when you get out of the hospital then just use a towel like I do and place them back outside.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:52 PM   #4

LOL... there are ultrasonic bug deflectors that might work... we've tried them in the past at home, but I can't really say if they were successful or not. We've decided to co-exist with the creepy crawlies (except earwigs, all earwigs shall die).

As my Dad used to say "they don't eat much"... and also as grandma would say: they keep the noseeum population down.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:26 PM   #5

A couple of trips ago we were in a site that seem to have a lot of ants around. We happen to see a couple of ants inside which was rare to see any pest crawling around in the past. On a walk around the trailer i discovered an ant crawling up our 30 amp cord that goes into the storage hole. Now I place a paper towel over the hole before I close the flap and then spray ant killer around the flap which soaks the paper towel and a little down the cord.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #6

Pickup a small container of CYPER and a small hand sprayer. Mix up a batch and spray it under the camper on the bottom side before you go. Then take it with you and give a quick spray around the stabilizers and under the camper when you setup.
Not much will keep them from landing on the trailer roof but that stuff will keep anything from crawling up into it.
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:36 PM   #7

How do you keep any and spiders out of the trailer?

I spray the bottom of the camper(tires, jack, and stabilizers included) with Home Defense a couple times a year. Dunno if it works. I figure bugs are part of camping, but DW doesn't appreciate that sentiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:42 AM   #8

I agree with Home Defense. We spray before our first trip of the year, then about every month. Seems to do the trick quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rtiedeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:14 AM   #9

I have never done any of that bug prevention. What we get are flies from kids opening the door.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
MizInIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizInIA View Post
I have never done any of that bug prevention. What we get are flies from kids opening the door.

These work awesome. The trick is finding a place to hang them that doesn't drive you insane.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073R812XR/?&...
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #11

I had forgotten about those. My dad had them hanging on the porch and the shed. They do work well.

MizInIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #12

Don't forget about trees. Ants climb trees and will get on the camper from a tree branch. We have lots of ants around our seasonal site, both large and small. We also get a lot of flies, gnats and spiders. We control the ants by spraying the entire area around our camper. Our site is mostly grass. A previous seasonal camper put down gravel many years ago under their camper, so there is still some of that. We use the spray made by Cutter that attaches to the garden hose. We completely wet the area around the camper and under the camper including our area rug and all hoses and cords that touch the ground and connect to the camper.

It works really well for about 4 weeks and then we reapply it every couple weeks. I also spray the base of the two large Maple Trees along the street side of our camper. The large ants really like the Maple Trees. It cuts down on the spiders, but it doesn't completely get rid of them.

For flies, we use a small fly trap. It gets filled with water which interacts with a small bag of attractant. It starts collecting flies immediately. We replace it when the dead flies are about an inch thick. Inside we use small ribbons of fly paper. For some reason, this year we have a lot of gnats at our site. They sit on the sliding glass door waiting for us to open it. The fly paper works really well to collect them. It's kind of gross once it gets filled up, but I'd rather that than deal with them flying around the camper.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote