Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #1

How important is Elite package?

We think we have finally found the Jay Flight trailer we are interested in, but we are confronted we a dilemma of two choices. The two choices are: One trailer with the Elite package and the thermal package . Second one does not have Elite package BUT it has thermal package , ladder, aluminum rims and 15000 BTU AC. Those of you with Jay Flights...any insight into which one you would go with? I realize I could order one with just what I want, but I was hoping to make a decision and purchase one of these...I get to see what I am buying right off the bat! I would love to have the Elite package...but I also love the aluminum rims and the larger AC. Please give me your thoughts...
DeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #2

Elite or Thermal

I don't have either on my Jay Flight G2 but I would opt for the Thermal. When camping in cold weather my unit condensates so bad I even had it run down the TV crank handle. I can understand condensation on the inside of the windows but, on the inside of my bedroom walls!!!. Makes me wonder what is going on with the insulation and wooden supports between the walls. I got a $250.00 Dehumidifier and by running it extensively it helped some. Live and learn.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
Site Team

For reference the Elite package includes:

Elite Package
Black Tank Flush, Digital Touch Screen Remote, 80 Gallon Capacity Fresh Water Tanks (2), Hardwood Drawer Fronts Throughout, Kitchen Sink Covers, Large Entry Door Grab Handle, Porcelain Toilet, Raised Panel Cabinets in Kitchen and Living Room, Refrigerator Insert (N/A in 38BHDS & 38FDDS), Roof Ladder, Skylight w/ Shade in Kitchen, Upgrade Faucet w/ Pull-Out Sprayer, Mor/Ryde CRE 3000 Suspension
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #4

What model trailer are you looking at?

While I would have preferred the thermal pkg over the couple other options our trailer had, we defintitely wanted the Elite pkg for the options it added.

While not easy from the little bit of research I have done, the enclosed underbelly can be added DIY. Aluminum rims can be added as well. I am considering adding a set next spring along with a set of E rated tires to increase the load capacity margin.

The 15K a/c, well.... I asked the same question for our 32 BHDS. Most said the 13.5K would do fine, so I left it up to which dealer wanted the sale the most.

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #5

I am a huge fan of the elite package. I like the tank flusher but the most important thing to me is the added fresh water storage as we never camp with anything other than an electric hookup 95% of the time.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #6

DeeBee, we have both options on our TT which we ordered from the factory. The Elite package gives a lot of nice options, we especially appreciate the black tank flush, larger fresh water tank and the kitchen skylight. I think the Mor-ryde suspension helps smooth the ride, but I've never towed another travel trailer. Living in the desert I couldn't imagine having the smaller A/C.
If you can get by with the smaller A/C I would go with the Elite & thermal package. Just my .02
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #7

I misread your post. I thought it was either the Elite pkg OR the Thermal.... Misread 1 option is Elite AND Thermal. I would choose the Elite and Thermal as DR said.

As a crazy option, I don't see why you couldn't try to negotiate the larger a/c as an upgrade to the Elite/ Thermal model. Not as cost effective as from the factory, but still an option.

In one thread about a larger a/c it was mentioned that if the a/c doesn't run long enough, it could mean the air inside the trailer could possibly be cool, but still have a fair amount of humidity in the air since the a/c may not run very long compared to a smaller a/c.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #8

The black tank flush is very nice. If you happen to be looking at a 2015, I think the elite package included an upgraded couch as well. If your going to be in areas where you don't have water at the site many times, you might wish you had the second fresh water tank as well. We have camped with our family of 4 on full tanks for 3 days, and it still had plenty to go. We have camped previously with smaller tanks and had to refill often. The touchscreen remote is sort of nice if you really want to watch the slides come out from the outside, but its much quicker to use the switches in the control cabinet. Also seems like something that may break fairly quickly, I wouldn't replace it personally unless it was under warranty.

If your dilemma is the 15K Ac or not (we did get the 15K), consider what part of the country you camp in the most. Arizona, you probably want it, the mountains of Idaho, you may never use the AC at all. If your trailer isn't really large, its likely the 15K isn't needed, ours is 29 feet, we went overboard and had it wired for a second AC and installed the 15K, highly doubt we will ever use the secondary unit wiring, and the 15K will keep it like an icebox. I have even had some condensation on the vents its so powerful. Also, you could ask the dealer, but switching the top unit down the road to a 15K unit may not be that big of a deal and the units aren't that expensive, as long as the electrical running to the unit is up to it, I think

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:30 PM   #9

Up for debate, but it may be better to have both packages. Easier to have the extra stuff you don't think you will use, but may come in handy down the road.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #10

It really depends on how you plan on using your trailer. Our 26RKS has the Elite package, aluminum rims and the 15,000 BTU air conditioner, along with the total foil package which Jayco explained is a total foil wrap with double the insulation. I never gave much thought to the bigger AC, but, it really works well in Nor Cal's 100+ degree heat. I like the looks of the aluminum rims and in my opinion, the best items in the Elite package are the black tank flush and the raised panels on the refrigerator. Sounds like you need to either find a trailer on another lot that has all the equipment that you desire, or order one from your local dealer and wait for delivery. Good luck on your decision!
Jayson 197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:32 PM   #11

I have the 32 bhds with both the elite package and thermal package. I would opt for both, the elite package giving you the bigger water tanks and other luxuries is nice. The thermal package insulation is much better than my previous trailer with only the normal insulation package...
Jon 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #12

Well...here's what ending up happening....
We wanted a Jay Flight 24 FBS. Found out they have discontinued this model. It is being changed and renamed. We wanted this floorplan so we had to make some choices. Really wanted the Elite package but could only find trailer with elite package that had fiberglass siding. We wanted the aluminum siding so could only find one with the regular package (not elite) but it included thermal package, aluminum rims, ladder and larger air conditioner. Decided to go with that and we are having the CR3000 suspension added to it (thought that was a good feature of the elite package). It is not too expensive to do that. We will miss the nicer cabinets and the black water flush... I wish I could have just ordered one...but it wasn't in the cards.
Thanks for all your input...you were all very helpful!!!!
DeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:34 AM   #13

Enjoy your new trailer!

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBee View Post
Well...here's what ending up happening....
We wanted a Jay Flight 24 FBS. Found out they have discontinued this model. It is being changed and renamed. We wanted this floorplan so we had to make some choices. Really wanted the Elite package but could only find trailer with elite package that had fiberglass siding. We wanted the aluminum siding so could only find one with the regular package (not elite) but it included thermal package, aluminum rims, ladder and larger air conditioner. Decided to go with that and we are having the CR3000 suspension added to it (thought that was a good feature of the elite package). It is not too expensive to do that. We will miss the nicer cabinets and the black water flush... I wish I could have just ordered one...but it wasn't in the cards.
Thanks for all your input...you were all very helpful!!!!
Black Tank flush is $25 very easy DIY project or ~$100 dealer installed project. Absolutely worth it.

From what you shared I think you made a good decision. Floor plan is the most important element, and you got the one you wanted. I too much prefer Alum sides to fiberglass so I would have made the exact same choice you did.

In addition to adding a Quickie-Flush or Tornado to you black tank, make sure to pick up a couple MaxxAir vent covers.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #15

We have the the 2016 26bhs and thermal package. the small AC got too cold fast so the extra btus are a waste imo. however the door grab is really the biggest reason I have seen since they stopped the sink covers from what our dealer said.
chuckerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:41 PM   #16

sorry edit didnt work also the black flush is a must have!
chuckerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:39 PM   #17

Congrats on your purchase!
Old 08-24-2015, 07:56 AM   #18

Congrats on the new rig!!! Let the mods begin!!!

Old 08-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #19

We have the 27' RLS with the elite package and would not have been satisfied without it. Love the extra water, black tank flush and all the little extra's.
UpNorthMGOBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:52 AM   #20

Jayco seems to mix and match the options in some of their packages from year-to-year. My 2013 base model Flight came with the black tank flusher, sink covers, 90 gal FW tank, hardwood drawer faces and a porcelain throne. If I were looking a new TT, I'd look at the build sheet at the dealership to make sure you know what you are getting, especially when comparing between two model year TTs (ie 2015 and 2016).

A few years ago, I believe the elites had a larger fridge and aluminum wheels and some other minor upgrades.

Congratulations to the OP on the purchase and happy camping!
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote